Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
weemon

Hot Point D/W Leak

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1993 Hotpoint D/W model HDA400S-48BA, Serial HH706829Y and it leaks from the bottom sheet metal panel near the front (see attached picture). It looks like these are drain holes (grommeted) at either end of a channel that runs cross-unit behind where the fill valve attaches. Water leaks from the LH hole when the dishwasher fills or washes. The leak starts when water beginsto come out of the fill hole on the side of the dishwasher housing during the initial fill cycle.  It stops leaking when the arm starts to rotate.  The dishwasher is in a vacation home and isn't used that much. As far as I can tell, the float appears to be working. There is no leakage out of the door or from around the motor and pump underneath.  The leak apparently is occurring between the fill valve and the inlet in the housing.  What suggestions do you have for diagnosis and repair?

post-92-129045084535_thumb.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Good picture!  Pull the dishwasher out of its cubby and tighten the water fill inlet hose attached to the side on the tub.  Depending on your water hardness, it may be a good idea to remove the fill spout and soak it in vinegar... or just replace that part with it's sealing gasket.

sometimes you get a little calcium build up in the air gap. remove the hose and use a piece of wire to make sure nothing is in their. usually you wont see anything so try this then run it and see if the leak goes away.

There is no air gap.  The discharge hose is just routed up to a peak, secured, and then routed down to the garbage disposal.  Why would that cause it to leak during the fill cycle?

Then, obviously, that wouldn't help!  :P  However, the airgap both Denny and I are referring to is on the side of your dishwasher, as I explained previously.

Just a follow up and thanks :D.  The fill spout had a little calcium in it and it was disturbing the flow of water through the fill spout causing the water to splash out of the air gap and run down the side fo the tub and appear to come out of the hole in the picture.  I was able to flush out the calcium with some lime cleaner.  I didn't remove the spout because it appeared to glued to the side of the tub.  Anyhow, thanks again for the advise.

Hey, thanks for the followup! 

:party: