Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Not Working - Model: GSC25C4EYY01

daddylogan

Hi all,

Newbie here. I have a 2012 Whirlpool Gold Side by Side refrigerator, Model number: GSC25C4EYY01.

Two days ago I needed to fill my portable beer cooler with some ice so I did as I always do and just opened my freezer, removed the removable ice bin and dumped the ice in my cooler and then put the bin back in the door. So when I come back home about 8 hours later I go to get some ice for a glass of water and nothing was made...empty bin. Never had that happen before. So I clicked on "quick ice" on the control panel on the front thinking that might speed things up. Again nothing by the next morning and none of the normal sounds that are usually associated with the ice making process (you know, the sound of the water inlet valve doing its things and naturally the harvest mode!). So I knew something was wrong so I started at the basics which I will list.

1) Checked the water dispenser side on the front door and it is flowing water.

2) Replaced my water filter with a brand new one (since it was time anyhow) and bled the system of air. Still no ice

3) Checked the temperature of the freezer. It is at exactly 0 degrees (-18c). Door is sealed well.

4) Went to check the optical part of the ice bin. This is where I am stuck on my model. There is NO INDICATOR light to do testing by (the two flashes and a pause) and I see no beam. I removed the ice bin, held down the flap on the right side and held in the door light switch and still so no beam from the two tiny holes. I am not even sure if I should see a fiber optic beam?

So, this is far as I can go right now and I am unable to find any disassembly tutorials for my particular ice maker anywhere. They are always of other models. When I remove my ice bin all I see is TWO screws to undo to possibly remover the ice maker cover and get to the fiber optic boards and the ice maker itself but not sure.

So, if I am correct my problem is either going to be my fiber optics board(s), the water inlet valve (I assume there are TWO junctions on this...one to ice maker and one to dispenser?), or the ice maker itself? It is just amazing how it goes from working perfect to nothing all in one day. Otherwise this fridge works great...however if I had read the reviews on it before I bought it I would have chosen a different brand (like Samsung). This model apparently has been a nightmare model for it's owners. I had to have a third one delivered before I got a working one!!!!

Any help and guiding would be appreciated. never done fridge repair before but I am a quick study ;-) Thank you

peace out,

daddylogan

Find the tech sheet inside the unit. It will have diagnostic procedures. The tech sheet is usually behind the front grille. 

• Like 2

Both the ice and water are filtered,  so if you are getting water at the dispenser then you can eliminate the filter/filter jead assembly as the culprit 

Your water valve has separate solenoids.. one for ice and one for water,  so it's possible you have a bad valve. 

Your optics should blink if turned on (make sure your arm is not in the way)... if not,  then you have a bad optics board or,  and more common,  your icemaker is stuck in the middle of a harvest cycle.  If your icemaker harvester  isn't in its normal "parked"  position,  then you need to replace the icemaker :

Screenshot_2016-02-16-23-38-01-640x480.png

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 2

Possible Frozen fill tube to ice maker.

To cycle icemaker. Tape both door switches close. remove ice bin n tape flipper down, pull power on unit for about 45 sec. plug unit in n check for led on optics 

listen for icemaker cycling

• Like 1

Only concern with that, bro Ivazques, I can't see how a frozen tube would  affect the optics as described.  And if the optics are as described,  he would have to bypass the optics board  to initiate a harvest cycle. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 1

UPDATE 02-17-2016:

Ok...so my phone rings at 7 am today and wakes me up. I sleep upstairs and my phone downstairs is a regular landline, however the way my condo is set up I can hear the answering machine from my bedroom. So I listen to the message that is being left and the call ends. About 1 minute later I hear that familiar sound....CLUNK!!!!!!! I thought to myself "no way...was that what I think it was?" So I run downstairs, open the freezer door and sure enough - A HARVEST just happened!!!!! I stood there in amazement thinking what the hell. Then about a minute or so after that I hear the beautiful sound of the fill valve opening up to send the new water in to the ice maker. Yes...I am very and that cycle has been repeating about every 45 minutes to an hour all morning and my bin is now half full and on it's way back to normal.

Soooooooooo.....I know know everything works and nothing is broken which is a relief. However, being the kind of person that likes to know "why" things happen and what I can do the next time if this happens again I have to know your thoughts. Basically my unit stopped working and went exactly 5 days without doing anything...then out of the blue, it is working just like it never skipped a beat. I am going to take a stab at it here....I am starting to think that I either had a frozen water line or it was simply clogged but I am not sure if that shuts down the whole process like it did? You pros would know that answer. Also maybe I had a drop in PSI in my condo complex??? Only two things I can now think of. The weather did warm up the last couple days (in California) so maybe it was just enough to melt any frozen clog? Still, I have a hard time buying in on that since I have had this fridge since Jan. 2012 and had much colder weather and it always worked.

Anyhow...thoughts appreciated and a huge thanks to those who took the time to answer my post. Kindness keeps this world a much better place and I like this forum ;-)

peace out,

daddylogan

• Like 2

Serial Numbers:
HR301 – HR503 (January 2013 – January 2015)
Possible Concern:
Customers may report their refrigerator is not making ice, or has a frozen fill tube. These concerns are likely to follow extended periods of ice maker inactivity, i.e. a full Ice Bucket, or Ice Machine recently turned on.
Potential Cause:
The fill tube heater operates in conjunction with the Ice Maker fill valve. Under various circumstances, the fill tube heater may not be able to remove ice formed during periods of low fill valve activity.
Conditions which may cause low activity of the Ice Maker fill valve may include, but are not limited to: full ice bucket, Ice Maker turned off, etc.
Correction:
Four Service Kits are available. Using the parts list for the affected model, identify the part number for the currently installed heater. Use this part number with the table below to determine the appropriate Service Kit.

• Like 1

Possibly a deformed ice cube caused an icemaker jam... then finally cleared up.  I have seen this on occasions. 

• 2 years later...

I'm having same issue. If I unplug power it will kick out cubes 1 time and not again. I used my phone to look at optic and don't see blinking light. That sound like the optic board is bad?