Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung ice maker freezing up

Ricky62190

I have a Samsung French door fridge rf263beaesr, it's only about 2 years old, but the ice maker freezes up and doesn't allow ice to drop into the ice 'bucket' and forms a big chunk of ice, I have to pull the bucket out, break up the chunk of ice and rest the ice maker atleast every 2 weeks, any ideas?

Could be bad water valve or bad ice maker assembly. 

Low water pressure can also cause a valve to weep. 

You can try the following- First Unplug the refrigerator then find the fill tube then warm the area where ice is blocked.

• Like 1

Bad valve, bad icemaker, low pressure or pressure over 120psi can cause this

and here's something from  training class that may be of use... at least it allows me to go over it before I forget it:

You may want a technician to check this for you.

check the water inlet hose as it is positioned inside the fill tube directly above the icemaker... the end of the water line should not be even with the end of the tube nor should it protrude out.... if the hose is too close to a wall of the icemaker receiving cup,  samsung has found it will spray water in the ice room causing problems similar to what you are finding. ... analogy.. turn on a water hose....then move close to a wall...the closer you get,  the more splashing  you get.

The  water line in the back of the fridge for the icemaker has a mark on it that you are suppose to use to determine if the tube is inserted properly in the john guess fitting (google  john guess fittings just in case you aren't familiar with them located at the top rear  of the fridge .... ignore the mark despite what the manuals say.    You have to use an inspection mirror and look up inside the tube where the water line passes through right above the icemaker.

Now, from the back of the fridge, pull the line back some...check the position inside the ice room fill tube with your inspection mirror..  . then retighten the clamp used to secure the line against the fridge... sometimes pushing the fridge back against a wall causes the water line to be forced further into the iceroom causing the splashback. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

What did not fix the problem?

you never told us what you tested and what you replaced. 

11 hours ago, MsAnn said:

Does not fix the problem! 

Ms Ann

You should create new thread in professional forum. 

We cant (shouldn't) share documents in the DIY forum. 

Yes Ed there  is a service bulletin. Matter of fact there are 4. What did not fix the problem is all repairs that were made per service bulletin. 

Read Durhams reply about ice room fill tube (1 if the 4 service bulletins). 

BTW-not the water valve or suppy psi.

when I compketed all repairs and almot $500 later I had to go back and adjust the ice room fill tube and yesterday I got a call and problem has not been resolved. Call back. 

Which is what Ricky62190 began the thread with. 

My frustratuon is that 90% Samsung calls are at least 1 call back. 

If you want to continue talking about this you start a new thread.

Share documents with the hell are you talking about? 

I do not believe I have shared documents.  If I have it was by mistake. Thank you and Ed for pointing out my mistake. 

Edited by MsAnn
incomplete information

Checked the valve already. But thank you for the suggestion. 

The point is that Samsung sux so bad that even doing suggested service bulletin repairs (4 of them) still does not repair the POS they manufacture. 

I'm walking away and no longer available for discussion on this topic.  

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, RSuarez said:

Or else call some handyman who can fix it.

5 hours ago, RSuarez said:

Or else call some handyman who can fix it.

What does that mean? This has been an ongoing issue with this manufacture ice building up. The 4 things need to do is upgrade the motherboard, remove plastic lip on the lower ice maker frame, build up a gasket around incoming water fill tube, and readjust drain line. I'm pretty sure a handyman would be able to do it with parts & tools.  http://www.theinvisibleblog.com/2016/08/fixing-samsung-ice-maker.html

38 minutes ago, bobby60 said:

4 things need to do is upgrade the motherboard, remove plastic lip on the lower ice maker frame, build up a gasket around incoming water fill tube, and readjust drain line. I'm pretty sure a handyman would be able to do it with parts & tools.

This is not correct. There is a service bulliten that has been updated recently but that is not how to fix the issue. The newest update includes istalling y clips,  the ice room would need to be sealed with food grade sealant. Make sure the supply line has not been pushed in to far. May need an updated auger assembly or ice maker depending on what is installed in unit modify the drain duct near refrigerant line if it is not the updated version. I would not reccommend a handy man. Someone that is not properly trained can destroy the refrigerator to where it is unrepairable if the do not remove the ice maker properly and if they don't have access to the updated service bulliten you will be Wasting your money. Besides not all of theses are deemed repairable. Samsung has been doing buy backs on some models it they are not so I would make sure everything is documented and done by a Samsung authorized service center.

2 hours ago, johntech said:

This is not correct. There is a service bulliten that has been updated recently but that is not how to fix the issue. The newest update includes istalling y clips,  the ice room would need to be sealed with food grade sealant. Make sure the supply line has not been pushed in to far. May need an updated auger assembly or ice maker depending on what is installed in unit modify the drain duct near refrigerant line if it is not the updated version. I would not reccommend a handy man. Someone that is not properly trained can destroy the refrigerator to where it is unrepairable if the do not remove the ice maker properly and if they don't have access to the updated service bulliten you will be Wasting your money. Besides not all of theses are deemed repairable. Samsung has been doing buy backs on some models it they are not so I would make sure everything is documented and done by a Samsung authorized service center.

The service bulletin I'm referring to is dated 7/17/15 #ASC20150717001 &  dated 11/25/15 #ASC20151125001 . As far as a gap or crack the bulletin does refer to check using a flashlight. Is their another service bulletin your talking about?  http://www.theinvisibleblog.com/2016/08/fixing-samsung-ice-maker.html

On 9/23/2017 at 9:07 AM, bobby60 said:

The service bulletin I'm referring to is dated 7/17/15 #ASC20150717001 &  dated 11/25/15

Bulliten Asc20170602002 created 5/24/17 adds ice door and bin gasket inspection, y clip installation plus more.

• 1 year later...

I replaced the auger in my ice maker several months ago and it has worked fine. The auger has a light sensor that shuts off the ice maker when it is full. The light can not be seen with the naked eye but  you can see it with a camera. I removed the ice bin and turned on my cell phone camera and could see the light after I installed the new auger. I could not see it with the old auger. I went through two augers before I found one that worked. If the light is not on the ice bin will over fill and cause an ice jam against the wall

About 2 days after I posted this it started doing the same thing. It lasted about 2 months and the ice froze against the wall when the ice bin was full. 

• 5 months later...

Glad to discover that there  are service bulletins on this. Ours worked just fine for two years then started icing up when we moved it to a new house in May of last year. Iced up 2 or 3 times during the past two summers when the relative humidity was high. I've been thawing it out with a hair dryer. Annoying.

I deal with this on a monthly basis and yes there’s a bulletin. Almost every time warm air is getting inside the housing. Use the flashlight trick stated above and seal it with silicone/Rtv. Take out the ice maker along with the auger motor and check behind there as well. I don’t recommend a hair dryer because if you damage the housing in any way, it’s not repairable. I use a steamer. I also install the y clips to if they’re not installed. 

BF305F6C-1A69-4F74-97EA-F090AFBC0A14.png

• 4 months later...

hi all, need advice wanna buy ice maker, but I don't sure which better. Can u advice me? When searched google it shows me these variants and says that it's popular and good solution, is it so?

If u know something better at same price and size, can u tell me?

Thanks in advance.