Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Maytag MFD2561HES control panel does not work, fridge and freeze over temp.

Tregare

Ok, I come forth again to humbly ask help on battling this foe again. Around 4 years ago this refrigerator had the evaporator fan failure, someone here helped me diagnose it and I was able to get a fan and replace it rather than waiting the -5- weeks the service company said it would take to get the part and get their tech back out to install.

starting about a year ago, according to the teenagers and my partner the control panel would stop responding for random amounts of time. The lengths got longer and longer until a few months ago when it stopped responding completely.  The fridge and freeze were well within temp ranges so they didn't worry about it, then in the last month they told me that the temps have started to creep up.  I did some research online and came up with 3 possibilities,. Control panel control board, HV board and the control panel itself.  I tried swapping control panel board first, but no Bueno...  Then the HV board the next time I was up ( I'm out on the coast and only get the chance to work on things when I am up here 5 hrs away, for appointments.  I swapped the old HV board back in as I was unable to get into programming mode to program the new HV board.

at this point it looks like the actual control panel is bad, but I am no longer certain, is there any troubleshooting steps I can be pointed at (voltages to check, etc...)???

im ending up working on it again as she called a couple service companies in the area and both wanted a couple hundred just to come look at the dang thing, and she couldn't scrape up that much at once.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tregare

• 16345Ed

• lvasquez11

• johntech

Can you provide part numbers that you changed? When you replaced the control board were you able to successfully enter the program code? I believe these have a code that needs to be entered. 

Did you find the tech sheet in the unit? It's either behind the toe grill in front of the unit or behind the back cover of the unit.

There are instructions on how to verify and update the program code so it matches the code printed on the serial plate of the unit.

Could not enter program code, no response from keypad with both new boards in place.  No tech sheet either :(. New HV board came with programming instructions.  I switched back to old board.

part nos are:.  w10207861 (FSP) new old stock in box

.                       12782036SPR (CCS) reman HV board

if there are other numbers you need let me know

The replacement HV board came with instructions on programming, I held door alarm, then pressed freezer temp down for 3 secs, let up door alarm and continued holding for 3 secs... Nothing :(

I differ to any other techs that may know how to test to determine faulty part. 

Replaced "keyboard" and have controls again. Local parts place said they sell 3 to 5  times as many keyboards than display controller boards. The heat from the bulbs is enough to kill the keyboard (causes it to come delaminated internally and traces break). I've always hated membrane keyboards...

• 2 weeks later...

Finally able to look at it again.   Pulled back wall out of freezer and checked out evaporator area. There was a huge block of ice formed around the capillary tube and the copper return line, The defrost thermostat was also encased in the block of ice.  It took quite a while but I got it melted.

the evaporator fan seems to be spinning at the right speed, unlike when I had to replace it before.

Did you have an even frost pattern on the evaporator? was the evaporator drain frozen over? 

• 2 months later...
On April 4, 2016 at 4:41 AM, johntech said:

Did you have an even frost pattern on the evaporator? was the evaporator drain frozen over? 

No frost on evaporator and drain was clear, evaporator was slightly cool to the touch,   The defrost element is leaning out at the top like it overheated at some point???  Evaporator end of Cap tube was below zero. (Ice block registered -10 degrees)

Uh oh

what is the temp of condenser coils using temp gun?

sounds like restriction. 

On June 7, 2016 at 4:34 AM, 16345Ed said:

Uh oh

what is the temp of condenser coils using temp gun?

sounds like restriction. 

I can check tomorrow, I'm back up where the fridge is