Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool Cabrio WTW8800yc0 - oL error

johnlec

The washer seems to work fine until the very end of a cycle when it fails to spin and shows an oL error. The basket seems to turn O.K. but I have never seen it turn fast. No problem turning the basket by hand. Lid Lock is fine. Washer is level and all four legs are in contact with the concrete floor.

I have read posts that suggest the following problems:

Bad suspension rods.

Debris between basket and tub.

Bad drive hub.

We got this washer second-hand so I have never seen it operate correctly. The washer is pretty beat but we are a nonprofit and if we can get it working without spending too much that would be great. Unfortunately, the buttons don't always work and I have only been able to go into the diagnostic mode twice.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have lots of various repair experience and tools but I have never worked on this model of washer before.

Thanks

Can you run a drain and spin with the tub empty? If so is it loud when it spins? I know it's a subjective question but it shouldn't sound like a train or airplane.

When you turn the drum by hand you shouldn't hear or feel any rumbling or noises. OL can be caused by suds, overloading, bad suspension, or a bad bearing.

OL is for overloaded, if this washer was sitting unused for some time I would almost guarantee the tub is stuck to the drive shaft, it needs to float up and down.

Before it gives the il. How full if water has it filled with

Edited by sh2sh2

On 03/21/2016 at 9:01 PM, AlboGator said:

Can you run a drain and spin with the tub empty? If so is it loud when it spins? I know it's a subjective question but it shouldn't sound like a train or airplane.

When you turn the drum by hand you shouldn't hear or feel any rumbling or noises. OL can be caused by suds, overloading, bad suspension, or a bad bearing.

Drain and spin with tub empty still gives oL error. It is very loud when it spins, sort of like playing card in bicycle spoke. I would have sworn it was the drive hub but I just pulled it and it looks fine (as far as I can tell)

whirlpool_Cabrio_DRIVE-HUB.jpg

whirlpool_Cabrio_DRIVE-HUB.jpg.htmlwhirlpool_Cabrio_DRIVE-HUB.jpg.html

13 hours ago, sh2sh2 said:

OL is for overloaded, if this washer was sitting unused for some time I would almost guarantee the tub is stuck to the drive shaft, it needs to float up and down.

Before it gives the il. How full if water has it filled with

Stuck like a politician in your wallet!!!

I tried the ghetto method of running a cycle and it seems the basket is now "free." It did show an Sd error.

Yes, the washer was sitting around for two or three months. When we first tried to run the washer it would fill to the half way point in the basket but the space between the top of the basket and the top of the tub did not change. Now when the washer fills the top of the basket touches the top of the tub.

Most of the fraking buttons do not work and I have not been able to enter diagnostic mode. I sprayed the buttons with electrical contact cleaner but they still do not work. I am wondering if certain options can not be selected within certain cycles, like the dispenser option can not be selected/changed if the drain/spin cycle is selected. Otherwise the switches are total crap! How can a simple low-voltage switch stop working???

I don't know how "free" the basket should be. I guess I will put the machine back together and cross my fingers.

I REALLY want to thank AlboGator and sh2sh2 for their help!!!

There have been times when I have not answered a question on a forum because I just did not think it would be appreciated. Especially computer forums, they are the worst!

I am very grateful you two took the time to give me your advice. Thank you both very much!

• Like 1

I am wondering if certain options can not be selected within certain cycles

That's correct, but the buttons do crap out sometimes. Usually it's the power button though.

Follow up:

Basket was stuck. I freed it by running a cycle. The buttons on the user interface board are crap. some work some don't (power and start seem O.K.).  I tried some Voodoo cleaning (hot water, various alcohols, electrical contact cleaner, lots of canned air) but I had very limited success. I am going to buy a used board on eBay.

I finally stumbled on how to enter diagnostic mode: just keep repeating the "press 3 seconds, pause 3 seconds" sequence until you are in diagnostic mode. I mean "press 3 seconds, pause 3 seconds" for 5, 10, 20 or whatever cycles. Somewhere in the XX number of press/pause cycles there will be a "press 3, pause 3, press 3, pause 3, press 3" sequence that the machine will like and enter diagnostic mode. Just stop pressing the button when the 88 display appears.

This allowed me to verify that the recirculation pump works (and is not at all noisy).

I hope this helps someone else stuck with one of these "wonderful" washers.