Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE top load Washer S3200Y1WW S#GA165535G No high speed spin

pjw73nh

Greetings,  Working on  the above mentioned washer.  Fills, agitates, drains, Will not high speed spin. Lid switch tests good.  Load size switch/control tests good. Timer bezel plate is NOT slipping and is firmly seated in the key slot.

Videos here

As you can see from the vids.  When trying to spin, the clutch (appears) to engage, the motor spins (outer portion of the clutch doesn't), and the main pulley to the gear-case does not turn.  When in agitate mode, the gear-case and motor/clutch work fine.  I couldn't get a firm grip on it, but with what little traction I had, I could not manually turn the main pulley.  I suspect either the clutch or the gear case.

The washer is 15 years old and is a base model.  It has a separate (electric) drain pump, and the gear-case is belt driven.  The belt does not appear worn and is not slipping.  Maybe it's time for a new washer....

Any thoughts, much appreciated. 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pjw73nh

• Budget Appliance Repair

No reply in 3 days?  Did I post this in the correct place? Did I not include enough information or details about the issue?  Curious. 

You have a bad transmission, the brake isn't releasing correctly.

It's either replace the transmission, which isn't really worth the cost, or try to disassemble and repair the brake.  I've never tried to fix the brake on one of these but there is a very good pictures included instructions detailing doing this in here somewhere.  You can't purchase parts for the transmission, it's not a normal job a tech would do - it maybe more severe problem then just the brake - can't tell without disassembling.

Hey Budget,  Thanks very much for the reply. I truly appreciate your taking the time to reply.  Yes, I had made a guess at the clutch (which I think you may be referring to as the brake) or the gear-box both of which are rather expensive.  If the washer was not so old, I may have made an attempt.  But at this age......  Time for a new (used) one.  Thanks again for the reply.

No, I mean the brake in the transmission.

Your clutch on the motor is OK if it works in agitate, in spin is your problem and with the brake not releasing, the transmission pulley locks up when it tries to turn in spin direction so clutch can't overcome locked transmission pulley and just slips the clutch shoes insides the clutch housing that has the v-belt pulley on it.

If you let it try to spin for a little bit then turn it off and touch the outer clutch housing with a wet finger very quickly you will find that it is blazing hot!

Budget, Thanks again for the quick reply and GREAT explanation.  I was unaware there was a "brake" in the transmission.  Yes I am sure this is it.  Not worth replacing but a good lesson learned from your post.   And yes, the clutch WAS slipping.  The outer part got real hot real quick. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply I really appreciate it.