Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

8566150 Control Board

jtkkwag1

Hello My name is Jerry, I have a problem with my dryer. My control board number is 8566150, they do not sell these new anymore. I tried a used one off ebay about 9 months ago so it lasted 9 months. The board appeared to look just fine, and the problem could come and go. Now after some research and further looking at control board I can see the heater relay looks defective, my heater relay number is T9AS1D22-12. It has 2 wires that go to it. I can now see where the plastic on the relay housing where the black wire connects to the terminal has a small melt spot on the housing , telling me it got to hot at one time. , and on the back of the board where the relay is soldered I can see where one of the solder spots is slightly tanish in color. It is the only one that looks like this on the whole board. I have tested EVERY other part on the dryer, thermal fuse, heater element , thermistor, etc. all test fine. I have the board removed from the dryer. Can I test this board and specifically relay while I have it uninstalled? I have a meter. How do I check it and what should it read. It appears that this relay has been a ongoing problem with these dryers and boards. My Motor relay is T9AS1D12-12. I came across your article "Easy Fixes for Two Common Problems with the Whirlpool “Even Heat” Dryers " from 2009. My dryer either would not heat or the touch pad would not work at all. When I would uninstall the control board completely than put it back in it would work but only for a very short time. My power relay has no terminals. The board looks ok. Also I have noticed now that on ebay when I look up my control board, actual part number 3980061, sure seems a coincidence that there are the heater relays for sale also , and several hundred of them sold. Please let me know if you can help in any way. Thanks Jerry

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtkkwag1

• Hiroshi

• lvasquez11

• Thirstytech

Hey Jerry, welcome. You need to provide the model number of the appliance.

If your willing  to solder the new relay in. or repair defective trace on board 

Go ahead n order relay off ebay.  n also get soldering iron kit . 

I have done some minimal soldering , and already have a couple of nice soldering guns and sticks. My dryer model number is GVEW9868KQ2. It is the old Whirlpool Calypso that seemed to be a big bust for many who purchased this set. About my original post, does anyone know of a COMMON problem with these control boards? I called a couple places that repair these control boards and they said that there is a common problem but that they would not tell me what it was. Boy, you know, I have been doing concrete for 25 years. Work my body to the bone, Have had several surgeries from body simply breaking down, but I could NEVER not give someone some information if they were to ask, to help them out , especially the do it your-selfer . I would answer any question and even inform them how it is done, but at the same time IF it was something that I believe they would need help would explain to them that is harder for someone to do than it looks. Anyways, On these control boards with what I explained in original post is there a step by step way to test this heater relay ? and the power relay? The heater relay has terminals and is soldered to the board and the power relay does not have terminals and is soldered to the board. And as mentioned earlier , there is a small melt spot on the plastic housing of the heater relay with a slight tanish color on one of the solders on where soldered to the board. Should I just replace heater relay ? or heater relay and power both? Thanks Jerry 

You could clip the body of the relay open to see the blackened contacts inside, but if it is overheating, it is safe to say the contacts are toast. If replacing the relays yourself brings no relief, have the board refurbished by fixyourboard or corecentric... OR go and buy a used whirlpool top-lint dryer for 50 clams and go back to the good ol' days when things made more sense.

Any super Samurai out there that have worked on these control boards? And might know of a common issue with them? Thanks Jerry

I thought this website all problems could be fixed. Seems as though the Samurai Master Tech's must be drinking to much Saki

1)You were provided an answer but it was apparently not to your liking. There isn't always a magical balm. 

2)It's  generally not within  the scope of the Diy forum to provide board component level repair info.  Furthermore,  most techs know it's probably unwise to provide such advice under these circumstances  when a dryer is involved.... Not Saki,  wisdom. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance

For one, I was not trying to say that nobody knew what they were doing here. Also, I suppose the way I worded that you took it insulting. Did not mean to , sorry. It has nothing to do wether the answer was not to my liking, I asked if there was a common problem, as I stated earlier a tech that I called said there was, so I just was wondering if someone knew what that common problem was, but nobody answered. I , or any tech is not going to just start de-soldering parts on control and re-soldering parts just because he thinks it might be this or that. I am sure that he would have type of knowledge first. And even if it is a dryer involved de-soldering a part and re-soldering a part does not take a rocket scientist to perform in my opinion. My first time soldering , I thought it was fairly simple. So it is not can I do it, it is just back to the question , is there a common problem? Sorry Sir if I frustrated or offended you, I really did not mean to. Next time I will be careful with my choice of words. Jerry