Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE ZFSB23DRG SS Refrigerator not getting cold enough.

lasvegasjeff

lasvegasjeff

I noticed my ge refrigerator wasn't cooling properly so being the diy er I am I decided to look up what it could be and aw something about frost on the back wall of the freezer so i took it apart and low and behold there was frost built up I purchased the right heater element and the defrost terminator and waited about a day and there's no more frost but the freezer is still hovering at 45 and the fridge 68 to 75... Its killing me and I'm not sure what the heck to do!! All the fans and the compressor is working so i'm just so confused and really need some help please! Thanks in advance!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lasvegasjeff

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Chat_in_FL

• DurhamAppliance

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, lasvegasjeff said:

I purchased the right heater element and the defrost terminator and waited about a day and there's no more frost but the freezer is still hovering at 45 and the fridge 68 to 75...

This is a dual evaporator model, Look for something that would affect both sides. Sealed system issue?

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Chat_in_RI

• Team Samurai

Use an IT temperature gun to get a temperature reading on the condenser coil. Should be around 100F. If you reading something around room temperature, then you have a sealed system leak like Brother Chat suggested. 

6 hours ago, lasvegasjeff said:

low and behold there was frost built up

Was the frost all balled up in one corner of the evap coil or was it evenly spread over the coil?

9 minutes ago, Samurai Appliance Repair Man said:

Use an IT temperature gun to get a temperature reading on the condenser coil. Should be around 100F. If you reading something around room temperature, then you have a sealed system leak like Brother Chat suggested. 

Was the frost all balled up in one corner of the evap coil or was it evenly spread over the coil?

I was going to mention the defrost thermister, but decided to go in another direction since the frost was now gone...:huh:

Edited by Chat_in_RI

lasvegasjeff

My wife had said that there was frost building up on the freezer and since we were going out of town we decided to unplug it and deal with it when we got back so that we didn't take a chance on it getting out of hand. We were out of town for a week and I had my daughter plug it in the day before we got back into town . So it ran for about 24 hours and when we returned home I noticed that the fridge and freezer weren't cold enough. I decided to look into it. I opened up the back panel and there was frost on the bottom of the coils, Maybe the first 2 or 3 rows up...Far less than half of the evaporator silver winding tubes. I then melted it and replaced the heater and terminator. Thanks again for all the help in advance!

lasvegasjeff
3 minutes ago, lasvegasjeff said:

My wife had said that there was frost building up on the freezer and since we were going out of town we decided to unplug it and deal with it when we got back so that we didn't take a chance on it getting out of hand. We were out of town for a week and I had my daughter plug it in the day before we got back into town . So it ran for about 24 hours and when we returned home I noticed that the fridge and freezer weren't cold enough. I decided to look into it. I opened up the back panel and there was frost on the bottom of the coils, Maybe the first 2 or 3 rows up...Far less than half of the evaporator silver winding tubes. I then melted it and replaced the heater and terminator. Thanks again for all the help in advance!

I just read my post and it sounded like the problem was fixed. I replaced the heater and terminator and am still having the cooling issue in both the freezer and fridge as well. Its not building up alot of frost anymore cause the heater was indeed bad but that must of just been one of the many problems cause its still very warm in temperature.

first replace all  thermistors especially  fresh food evap  and freezer evap thermistors 

• Team Samurai
4 hours ago, Chat_in_RI said:

I was going to mention the defrost thermister, but decided to go in another direction since the frost was now gone...:huh:

2 hours ago, DurhamAppliance said:

first replace all  thermistors especially  fresh food evap  and freezer evap thermistors 

Why replace ANY parts at this point until a sealed system problem has been ruled out? 

3 hours ago, lasvegasjeff said:

...frost on the bottom of the coils, Maybe the first 2 or 3 rows up...Far less than half of the evaporator silver winding tubes. I then melted it and replaced the heater and terminator. 

You can easily and non-invasively rule out a sealed system problem with a simple temperature measurement on the condenser. 

Your money, your time, your fridge... Your call.  

that's true,  I misunderstood the symptoms... I read Failed defrost heater and frost build up. 

lasvegasjeff

So I went ahead and open the back panel today and there was frost on the first three coils on the bottom again 4/5 of the whole evaporator coils we're barely even cold and definitely didn't have frost on them so I probably have a big problem right?

Yes, sir. You have a low refrigerant charge/sealed system issue...

lasvegasjeff

Well i just wanted to say thank you to all that helped me! You guys are awesome and have no idea how greatfull i am to have you guys here to lend some expertise. Thank you so much i am forever greatfull!