Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Anne Searles Reel

Ice Forming Under Freezer Drawer in a Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Refrigerator

Anne Searles Reel

I have ice building up in the bottom of the freezer compartment on my Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Refrigerator, below the pull out drawer. It will build up to about 3/4"-1" thick and then impedes the closing of the door. Every 4-6 weeks, I need to remove the freezer drawer, melt and chop the ice and put everything back in. I have been doing this for three years on a 5 year old fridge. Samsung Customer Service is ABSOLUTELY NO HELP.

What causes this? And can I fix it myself?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

PDuff

Sounds like a blocked defrost drain, and yes, you can fix it!

But you'll have to remove the drawer and possibly the guide rails.  Then the evaporator cover (rear panel) for the freezer.  This will allow you access the evaporator drain trough.

Carefully remove as much ice as you can using a hair dryer, heat gun or steamer if available, until the drain is exposed.  Pouring hot water into the drain should help clear any remaining ice restriction further down the tube.

Anne Searles Reel

I should add that  we replaced the ice maker about 3 months ago. While the old ice maker was broken, the ice did not form in the bottom of the freezer. As soon as we replaced it, the ice started forming again.

PDuff

I'm not seeing an icemaker in the freezer on this model.  Is it a flex tray style icemaker and is it producing ice?

Anne Searles Reel

It is located in the refrigerator.  I am unsure what a tray style is. 

It is producing ice just fine. This problem stopped when the icemaker was not working and then began again when we replaced the ice maker. 

LI-NY Tech

Samsungs default to a super cold setting of -14°F in the freezer when they need to produce ice. If you use a lot of ice so that the icemaker needs to constantly run it will spend a long time at that super cold temp. The drain tubes run down behind the freezer and will freeze up if it's that cold for a long time. 

Anne Searles Reel
15 hours ago, LI-NY Tech said:

Samsungs default to a super cold setting of -14°F in the freezer when they need to produce ice. If you use a lot of ice so that the icemaker needs to constantly run it will spend a long time at that super cold temp. The drain tubes run down behind the freezer and will freeze up if it's that cold for a long time. 

Can/should I adjust that temperature?

LI-NY Tech

No, that's not adjustable. What I'm saying is that regularly  using large amounts of ice can cause this drain freezing issue, which causes a leak. Do you regularly use a lot of ice?

Anne Searles Reel

Yes, we do. I will be attempting to remove the evaporator cover this evening and defrost whatever ice may have formed around it and may be blocking the drain.

Anne Searles Reel

So I did as suggested--took the cover off of the evaporator in the freezer and I didn't find any ice buildup. Any suggestions on what to try next?

ridgwel

Anne, did you ever find the cause to your ice forming below the deli drawer?  I'm having the same problemss......Thanks

Lighthouse

This is a common problem with Samsung and they have an update that is supposed to take care of it.

16345Ed
7 hours ago, ridgwel said:

Anne, did you ever find the cause to your ice forming below the deli drawer?  I'm having the same problemss......Thanks

And I very much doubt Anne will answer her post is over two years old...

i advise calling a tech that has access to Samsung technical bulletins. 

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 1

Anne Searles Reel
1 hour ago, 16345Ed said:

And I very much doubt Anne will answer her post is over two years old...

i advise calling a tech that has access to Samsung technical bulletins. 

You would be wrong because here I am. 

I don't remember the exact  problem but the person we brought in to troubleshoot it did have to dismantle some parts of the fridge and simply used a heat gun to melt down quite a bit of ice that had formed. It actually wasn't a very costly repair. However, I still will never buy another Samsung refrigerator again.

Since the repair was done, I have not experienced any more problems with this particular issue. Hope this helps.

16345Ed
7 hours ago, Anne Searles Reel said:

You would be wrong because here I am. 

I don't remember the exact  problem but the person we brought in to troubleshoot it did have to dismantle some parts of the fridge and simply used a heat gun to melt down quite a bit of ice that had formed. It actually wasn't a very costly repair. However, I still will never buy another Samsung refrigerator again.

Since the repair was done, I have not experienced any more problems with this particular issue. Hope this helps.

Wow surprised, I’m glad you check in...

their is a service bulletin and a fix it kit there are several steps to the bulletin (checking defrost system, modification of evaporator shield, repositioning of a sensor, new drain duck bills...)

So I doubt he just cleared ice. Especially if your problem never came back. 

Thanks for responding!!

Edited by 16345Ed

Shelly60

We have the same Samsung Refrigerator and the same problem with water freezing under the bottom freezer draw.  Can anyone tell me how I can fix the problem myself!  We bought all Samsung appliances for the kitchen five years ago.  This year the microwave and dishwasher broke and we have had to replace them.  NOW the refrigerator/freezer is not functioning correctly!  I would like to be able to fix this myself as replacing another appliance is not in the budget.  Any help would be much appreciated!  I will NEVER buy SAMSUNG again!!!