LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Frigidaire Gallery MODEL FGHB2735NE3 Ice dispenser issue

ldnmaster

As the title says, my appliance is a Frigidiare Gallery french door refrigerator, model FGHB2735NE3. I came home from work (I travel) to find I couldn't get any ice out, and a small leak was coming from behind the front panel on the door. The leak was due to too much ice accumulating, resting in the chute, and melting. I first began by pulling all the ice maker components out and thawing them, as well as the coil on the back wall of the fridge. I thawed the drain port for good measure as well, though buildup was minimal. After that, I pulled the front assembly from the door to clean it as well, since I had the panel off for the leak.

I put everything back together (it only goes one way, after all) and now I have this buzzing noise when I try to use the ice dispenser. Water works fine, I can rotate the auger by hand, and have even tried to run the ice maker by holding the door switch and pushing the lever on the door. There's clearly power going to the dispenser, since I'm getting a noise, from what I read. At this point, I think it may be the auger motor, but I cannot figure out what would have caused it to quit working (I didn't bridge any circuitry or anything of that nature). Please note that prior to the dismantling of the system, everything did work as needed, there was just so much buildup it would hardly push the ice out because it was basically one giant piece. I've included a link to show the water working, and so that the buzzing can be heard. Video with ice maker buzz.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ldnmaster

• BradE

• PDuff

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

Verify the purple and light blue wires are going to the auger motor.  Check operation of the yoke solenoid to the right of the motor, and that the yoke isn't jammed in the up position.

Sometimes an iced up auger motor can be allowed to de-ice and once dry, may work ok.  However, even if it was working prior to de-icing, the motor may fail.

Pulled it back out, solenoid is definitely not stuck. As for verifying the wires, it would have to be connected to measure voltage, correct? I'm uncertain there's enough space to do so...forgive me, I'm not too inclined when it comes to voltage testing...

I hope I'm doing things right, but I looked at the way to test for another fridge augur motor just to fuddle my way though...based on the instructions there I'm reading 3.4OHms. This seems low, but I'm not certain for this particular motor?

• 1 month later...

When these motors are pulled out to clear the ice, they are covered in moisture as they melt. It is advised that anytime the auger is pulled out, when it is reinstalled to run the motor for at least 2 minutes to clear out any moisture and keep the shaft from freezing. Sounds like the shaft is frozen.

I've been out of state for work, so I haven't messed with it or ordered a part. I'll definitely try that when I get home. Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I'm finally home to mess with this thing. Just wondering when I reinstall, just run it like I was filling a cup of ice? 

Thanks. I'll let you all know what happens to keep this relevant for someone else wI think similar issues. I appreciate everyone's help/advice.