LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

new to me beer cooler not cooling

plott hound

plott hound

esterday I got myself a nice used coke cooler with double sliding doors.compressor is mounted on the top of unit.cooler was known to me to be working 3-4 years ago and has been stored inside and upright ever since.yesterday when we loaded it on my trailer I laid it down on its back because it was so top happy.brought it home and let it sit in the upright position for 2 hours before plugging it in.let it run for a couple of hours and although the compressor and fans were all running the unit did not begin to cool.did I kill my new found beer cooler by laying in on its back?man I hope not,this sucker looks great in my garage.

cheers

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• plott hound

• AlboGator

• DurhamAppliance

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's been sitting 3-4 years I'd bet it's leaked, seems to happen when refrigeration sits unused. 

doors should be left open or removed on any fridge that has been used  when storing unless you completely dry it out.  If not,  the interior moisture left in the fridge can cause refrigerant lines to corrode,  especially at joints.  Google proper storage of refrigerators. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance

plott hound

yupper,the gas has leaked out for some reason.i welded in a service valve and pulled a good vacuum on the system.vacumn held for an hour so it must be a slow leak.this unit takes r-12 which is not available anymore in Canada so I bought 4 cans of rs12 duracool.charged it up to factory specs and it works like a charm.only thing that does not work on the cooler is the thermostat,temp control is only full bore or off.gonna try to pick up a new one tomorrow.