LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

DCS Gas Range Oven Not Heating Fully

Al T

The oven on our DCS RG-304 Gas Range (using Propane) is not heating properly. The top burners and broiler seem to be working fine. The oven bake burner igniter is heating up to glowing quickly when the oven is set to a bake temperature. After about 6 minutes the gas will kick on and light. After a few minutes of firing the gas will go off, but apparently short of the desired temperature, and the oven (preheating) lamp doesn't go off. At some point the gas seems to kick back on, but either doesn't light again or lights low and switches back off.

I've followed the troubleshooting guide as best I could through the first few stage - igniter working, power flowing to the thermostat (I think - I borrowed a volt/ohm meter but wasn't entirely sure I was touching all the right connections to test power and continuity). I started to remove the service access panel to test the thermal valve but the panel was getting hard to remove and I wanted to get some advice first.

From all I've read, it seems that the igniter is getting amps but not enough to keep the gas valve open? The ignitor part number is 211541P and takes 3.2 - 3.7 amps and costs around $100. I ordered a Frigidaire 5303935066 which has same appearance, says it has same Amp range, and was about $20. Will this work? Will it fry quickly? Other advice on likely problem?

NB: I am on an island off the Maine Coast, so in-person service is a real problem! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Al T

• Budget Appliance Repair

• 16345Ed

• Honydoer

The Frigidaire Part number: 5303935066

Part number: 5303935066

ignitor will work perfectly fine and should fix your problem for the description you gave.

That Frigidaire ignitor is a good general purpose substitute ignitior in most applications.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man
embedded part number

On 7/7/2016 at 3:34 PM, Al T said:

The oven on our DCS RG-304 Gas Range (using Propane) is not heating properly. The top burners and broiler seem to be working fine. The oven bake burner igniter is heating up to glowing quickly when the oven is set to a bake temperature. After about 6 minutes the gas will kick on and light. After a few minutes of firing the gas will go off, but apparently short of the desired temperature, and the oven (preheating) lamp doesn't go off. At some point the gas seems to kick back on, but either doesn't light again or lights low and switches back off.

I've followed the troubleshooting guide as best I could through the first few stage - igniter working, power flowing to the thermostat (I think - I borrowed a volt/ohm meter but wasn't entirely sure I was touching all the right connections to test power and continuity). I started to remove the service access panel to test the thermal valve but the panel was getting hard to remove and I wanted to get some advice first.

From all I've read, it seems that the igniter is getting amps but not enough to keep the gas valve open? The ignitor part number is 211541P and takes 3.2 - 3.7 amps and costs around $100. I ordered a Frigidaire 5303935066 which has same appearance, says it has same Amp range, and was about $20. Will this work? Will it fry quickly? Other advice on likely problem?

NB: I am on an island off the Maine Coast, so in-person service is a real problem! 

Thanks. I got the part and installed but it appears there is no power going to the ignitor? There is no response from the ignitor (no glow at all) when the oven is turn on. I touched a volt meter to the connections and got nothing. I switched the wires, for good measure (even though the forums say which wire is which from ignitor does not matter) and still got nothing? Help?

• 2 years later...

AIT,

Would you happen to have a link for the wiring diagram for this range? DCS-RG-304.

I tried to open a link provided to you in this forum; but, i could not open it.  I could provide you an e-mail if you have the PDF.

Thanks for this post BTW. It saved me a lot of time.

Honeydoer

On 7/12/2016 at 12:22 PM, Al T said:

Thanks. I got the part and installed but it appears there is no power going to the ignitor? There is no response from the ignitor (no glow at all) when the oven is turn on. I touched a volt meter to the connections and got nothing. I switched the wires, for good measure (even though the forums say which wire is which from ignitor does not matter) and still got nothing? Help?

Did you cut power before changing ignitor?

you need to test gas safety valve (at valve no diagram needed) and the control to see if it’s sending power to valve and ignitor. 

Tech documents are only for professional technicians that subscribe.