Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Whirlpool W8RXEGMWB00 fridge not cooling at all

rayians

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my fridge. I have a Whirlpool W8RXEGMWB00 built in 02/2010. Simply stated, one day it completely stopped cooling. I can leave it run all day and it will not drop below room temperature. The fan runs and the light works, however, the compressor is warm, so I am assuming it is not kicking on.

I have tested continuity of the thermostat, which was fine, as well as continuity of the 3 prongs on the compressor, which all were equal, and also power to the inverter board and compressor, which was fine. There is only 1 single red wire that leads to the inverter that I assume is the "trigger wire" so to speak, I am unsure how to test that. I am now stuck as to where to proceed next. Any and all advice would be much appreciated.

At this point my guess is it's either the inverter board, or possibly the defrost board (I am not sure if the defrost board would cause this condition or not, or how it could be tested), unless of course there is something I am missing.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dave316

• rayians

• johntech

• 16345Ed

When a compressor is not running it is normally room temp not warm. When you turn on the unit you should be able to feel the compressor vibrating if it running. You may have to put a rag into the fan so you can hear and feel The compressor. If it is running I would want to check the frost pattern on the evaporator. Should be evenly frosted. You said the fan runs but didn't mention what fan. You need to make sure the condensor fan by the compressor is running and the evaporator fan in the freezer is running.

Check for power at red n white wires .  3 to 5 volts dc.

if compressor is running - check discharge tube temp at compressor. Room temp = seal system leak

johntech, with your guidance I have verified that the compressor DOES run.  However there is NO frost whatsoever on the evaporator.  I have also verified that both condensor fan and evaporator fan both do run.

Ivasquez11, I am not sure which line is the discharge tube but there are 3 lines in all - 2 are slightly warm and the other is slightly cool.

Sealed system failure. Sounds like the refrigerant leaked out since the compressor and all fans are running and still no cooling. Your best bet now is to start shopping for a new one.

Ugh, now that you say that it (unfortunately) makes perfect sense.  I truly appreciate the help despite the end result!

• 2 years later...

I just bought one of these for 15 bucks thought I could fix it or at least salvage parts of it.plugged it in and nothing. So I looked in back and saw the invertor was disconnected from compressor I assume someone had looked at it and  called it done.i put it back together and everything comes on  and I believe compressor is running but not sure.ill have to  dug a lol deeper to be sure.

Compressor not running ...bad invertor..? Took it apart nothing out of the ordinary

20190203_182352.jpg

20190203_181641.jpg

20190203_182325.jpg

20190203_181555.jpg

20190203_181701.jpg

20190203_181608.jpg

20190203_181716.jpg

10 hours ago, dave316 said:

Could I put a regular compressor in it?with a regular relay?

Why not just throw a new inverter on it?

that one sure looks damaged to me

Edited by 16345Ed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 16345Ed said:

Why not just throw a new inverter on it?

that one sure looks damaged to me

Going the cheap route  not wanting to pay over 200 dollars just to sell for maybe 100 or 150.i could.probably make money salvaging it instead for parts and fixing another fridge.

8 minutes ago, dave316 said:

Going the cheap route  not wanting to pay over 200 dollars just to sell for maybe 100 or 150.i could.probably make money salvaging it instead for parts and fixing another fridge.

I see

My plan is to get a compressor pc660L 1/4 hp next pay period and swap it out for 80 bucks.also when it gets a lil warmer.ill have to check pressures to see if there's actually freon in  it and reclaim it of course.hopefully there's no leak already otherwise y bother I guess I will check pressures before I spend any more first.as soon it gets Abit warmer as fridge is outside on  patio.

• 2 months later...

Update: I have replaced the compressor and got it to run added some Freon but the filter is getting frosted and freezer is still warm. Is this because I didn't change the filter I know that it's supposed to be done whenever there's a compressor change out.

Or perhaps I didn't hook up the lines right? I brazed them on just like the old compressor.