Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Window ac not working

remunguia1

Hello my name is Robert and I am having trouble with this ac unit. Frigidaire fra156mt112. I have replaced pcb main board on unit because compressor would not come on. I've checked everything else and seems to be fine. The problem now after I installed new board the unit will not come on. The display works and is on but fan and compressor will not come on. Is there a reset that I don't know about or anything. Any suggestions?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolhandkenny

• MD Home Services

• remunguia1

• strumpfman

How did you establish that you needed a new control board? Replacing a control will not repair a broken start relay... Do you own a multi-meter?

I do have multimeter! I ohmed out relay on board for compressor and showed open contacts. I wired compressor direct for testing purpose and compressor fired up. I determined it was board. Now fan don't want to start when I try to turn it on.

contacts were open during a cooling cycle? there is not a general reset type button that would fix your symptoms, but if the compressor doesn't run with either board, and now the fan acts up, I would install the original board and see if it energizes the fan motor- if it does, then return the control board you purchased ASAP as defective.

coolhandkenny

If the fan and compressor will not come on then It might be your connects. Is the board generic, is it an OEM(original type of setup and the old part). I'm wondering too when you say you checked everything..... What does that mean? have to give a little more info or I'm just throwing confusing stuff at you.

Yeah, I know! I've been breaking my head with this thing. I've gotten all info and assistance down here but to no avail. I hate leave the customer like that but I've got to find a way to make this thing work! Any other service manual or tech support to know of?

It's an original board made by electrolux. I've been trying to find info on transformer on this unit. Anyone know how much DC volts should I be getting out of secondary side of unit? Model fra156mt112. Window Ac.

8 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

contacts were open during a cooling cycle? there is not a general reset type button that would fix your symptoms, but if the compressor doesn't run with either board, and now the fan acts up, I would install the original board and see if it energizes the fan motor- if it does, then return the control board you purchased ASAP as defective.

I tried to return it but no returns on electrical parts. I exchanged it for another one. Same results. Ive rewired it several times and nothing. How about the capacitor for the compressor? There's a wire that goes up to board from the cap. Could that have anything to do with it?

coolhandkenny

Are you sure it's dc on thing about transforms when they go they usually don't give a volt read if it's a break in the winding or coil whatever u call it... it's gone.....How many volts is it? I see that model has 115 up to 230 I deal with hvac that is my #1... I normally do residential to light commercial so it shouldn't be to hard to figure this out but you have to start at the board and give me some readings..... check first where the power comes into the board. Is the com or c from the compressor connected to where the hot plugs into the board?

MD Home Services
12 hours ago, remunguia1 said:

I do have multimeter! I ohmed out relay on board for compressor and showed open contacts. I wired compressor direct for testing purpose and compressor fired up. I determined it was board. Now fan don't want to start when I try to turn it on.

It 's supposed to be open until it's calling for cooling. Is your display shows it's calling for cooling? Your display could be bad. Remove the front cover and clean the sensor/thermostat also. If it's dirty, clean it.

Edited by MD Home Services

coolhandkenny
5 minutes ago, MD Home Services said:

It 's supposed to be open until it's calling for cooling. Is your display shows it's calling for cooling? Your display could be bad. 

Which could be true but if that's the case he has to check continuity to make sure his t-stat is working also

MD Home Services
3 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

Which could be true but if that's the case he has to check continuity to make sure his t-stat is working also

That's what I meant to say. I edited my post. 

coolhandkenny
1 minute ago, MD Home Services said:

I would bypass the thermistor/sensor and see if it turns on.

True, but the only problem I have with that is he said that only the compressor wouldn't come. After replacing the board nothing comes on now except the display. If both fans where coming on while calling for cool the t-stat and display should still be okay. The problem has to be in the hook up of the new board.

MD Home Services

That's why I said display could be bad. Your display is your thermostat. Read cause 1: http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/How-To-Fix-A-Air-Conditioner/90---/Air-conditioner-compressor-won-t-run Look at the wiring diagram or schematic. The board get its command from the display.

MD Home Services
8 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

True, but the only problem I have with that is he said that only the compressor wouldn't come. After replacing the board nothing comes on now except the display. If both fans where coming on while calling for cool the t-stat and display should still be okay. The problem has to be in the hook up of the new board.

The unit only has one fan, it acts as an evaporator fan and a condenser fan. Look at the wiring diagram. I just worked on a window ac not too long ago and it only has one fan.

MD Home Services

Btw, does the wiring diagram from Sears, the link you posted, blows up when you click it? I can't make it bigger.

coolhandkenny

You have to read what it says when it says... The temperature control thermostat has electrical contacts inside that burn out over time. It is possible for the thermostat to still turn on the fan motor but not the compressor motor. It's talking about a unit without a board. When it says The temperature control board provides voltage to the fan motor and compressor. It's talking about a unit with a board.

coolhandkenny

The unit he is working has a board the controls both fan and compressor. Not a t-stat that controls compressor and fan. On his unit all the t-stat does is says it's hot or cold and the board does the rest

coolhandkenny
9 minutes ago, MD Home Services said:

Btw, does the wiring diagram from Sears, the link you posted, blows up when you click it? I can't make it bigger.

You would just have to press the image save it then blow it up in your gallery. That's what I did