Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Window ac not working

remunguia1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolhandkenny

• MD Home Services

• remunguia1

• strumpfman

MD Home Services
6 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

You would just have to press the image save it then blow it up in your gallery. That's what I did

It won't work for me. I'm using Chrome. Could that be it? I haven't tried other browser. Going back to troubleshooting the problem, are you saying that the thermostat is not or can't be switch to either heating or cooling? From what you are saying, you set a temp and it goes there from either heating or cooling?

MD Home Services

I would say install the old board and see if the fan kicks on when you turn on fan. If it doesn't then it's the display board. If it does then display is good. 

coolhandkenny

Yea now that's something we both agree but I don't think he is here at the moment I asked him like nine questions with no reply

MD Home Services
4 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

I don't understand what your asking

You said: 

22 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

The unit he is working has a board the controls both fan and compressor. Not a t-stat that controls compressor and fan. On his unit all the t-stat does is says it's hot or cold and the board does the rest

What does the t-stat control then?

coolhandkenny

It's a sensor that tells board the he can send voltage to the compressor and the fan. The t-stat isn't connected to the fan or compressor

MD Home Services

Ok, lol...we're talking about the same thing then. Now I know what you mean. I was thinking about the sensor actually. Unplug it from the board and do a slurry ice test.

That's the exact schematici have! Gone through it over and over. I've ohmed out ambient sensor and evaporator sensor tested OK. I even had a buddy of mine who works for Sears a&e and couldn't determine what it is. Found it baffling. I keep trying.

7 hours ago, coolhandkenny said:

Are you sure it's dc on thing about transforms when they go they usually don't give a volt read if it's a break in the winding or coil whatever u call it... it's gone.....How many volts is it? I see that model has 115 up to 230 I deal with hvac that is my #1... I normally do residential to light commercial so it shouldn't be to hard to figure this out but you have to start at the board and give me some readings..... check first where the power comes into the board. Is the com or c from the compressor connected to where the hot plugs into the board?

Yes it plugs into compressor relay and I have 118 volts coming in. Primary side of transformer shows 118 also. As far as stepping down I don't know. It doesn't specify Ac or DC. I ohmed it and gave me 5 ohmes of resistance on secondary. I checked from neutral side of circuit to what ever speed I set it to and 0 volts on low medium and hi. Not getting power to other side for some reason.

2 minutes ago, remunguia1 said:

Yes it plugs into compressor relay and I have 118 volts coming in. Primary side of transformer shows 118 also. As far as stepping down I don't know. It doesn't specify Ac or DC. I ohmed it and gave me 5 ohmes of resistance on secondary. I checked from neutral side of circuit to what ever speed I set it to and 0 volts on low medium and hi. Not getting power to other side for some reason.

115 volt unit.

MD Home Services

Does your display have power? Does fan turn on when you turn fan on at the display? Did you measure voltage across the relay when you turn cooling on? What voltage do you get across the relay? 

Edited by MD Home Services

coolhandkenny
1 hour ago, MD Home Services said:

Does your display have power? Does fan turn on when you turn fan on at the display? Did you measure voltage across the relay when you turn cooling on? What voltage do you get across the relay? 

Yea this would be my next step.. but I would still check the transformer for any kind of voltage. Maybe something touch by mistake and blew it.

MD Home Services
32 minutes ago, coolhandkenny said:

Yea this would be my next step.. but I would still check the transformer for any kind of voltage. Maybe something touch by mistake and blew it.

Yes, he keeps wondering what voltage he is getting at the secondary. He said he is getting voltage at the primary but doesn't say if he is getting any voltage across the secondary. He should check the secondary for voltage and he'll find out. Should be an ac voltage.

Edited by MD Home Services

MD Home Services

This is what I found about the transformer:

Q: what is the primary and the secondary voltage on this transformer, when tested?

A: 122vac input, 13.2vac out. 

Transformer part number:  5304470989

I'm sorry, got busy doing other things. This thing has given me a headache. Yes  the display is working but the fan and compressor are not. I do get control voltage out of transformer now more clear. Thought it was DC since wires are so small. But she gonna go ahead and discard it and I'll have repay money. Thanks for input.

coolhandkenny

MD Where are you getting this information about the transformer and that tech manual..... put the coolhand on.

I do not live in the USA so not familiar with this specific unit. We have real electricity here 220 AC.

I would suggest to test all parts in a systematic manner. 

1. Hot wire directly compressor and later fan motor to make sure both are working and that their

capacitors are OK.

2. If both are working connect a proper load(like a very strong lightbulb) to where  the fan and compressor connect

to the board and turn unit on if necesary  put temp sensor in glas of warm water or warm by hand

3. If the control board can operate your light it should also run compressor and fan motor

Let me know what you find

I had already hot wired compressor directly and it came on. The thing I did not do is hot wire the fan for low,med, or hi. I checked power from hot line to each speed and all gave me 118 volts.  I tested bottom capacitor and it gave me I believe 58 MFD. Seems to hi but I checked repair clinic and it's listed at 55mfd. This has taken me on a loop and don't know what I got myself into but somethipositive has to come out of this. 

5 hours ago, strumpfman said:

I do not lessorive in the USA so not familiar with this specific unit. We have real electricity here 220 AC.

I would suggest to test all parts in a systematic manner. 

1. Hot wire directly compressor and later fan motor to make sure both are working and that their

capacitors are OK.

2. If both are working connect a proper load(like a very strong lightbulb) to where  the fan and compressor connect

to the board and turn unit on if necesary  put temp sensor in glas of warm water or warm by hand

3. If the control board can operate your light it should also run compressor and fan motor

Let me know what you find

I had already hot wired compressor directly and it came on. The thing I did not do is hot wire the fan for low,med, or hi. I checked power from hot line to each speed and all gave me 118 volts.  I tested bottom capacitor and it gave me I believe 58 MFD. Seems to hi but I checked repair clinic and it's listed at 55mfd. This has taken me on a loop and don't know what I got myself into but somethipositive has to come out of this.  How would yoj put a proper load between fan and compressor??

I do not understand your question about the load What I ment is connect  a 100w lightbulb to work as a substitute for the fan powered by

yr board and a much more powerful light like a 500 or 1000w halogen as a compressor. I did not understand the long discussion about the transformer. I reckon that if their is display from the controlboard the transformer should  be good. First hot wire fan and compressor directly from mains to doublecheck  they are still alive!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 0:19 AM, coolhandkenny said:

Are you sure it's dc on thing about transforms when they go they usually don't give a volt read if it's a break in the winding or coil whatever u call it... it's gone.....How many volts is it? I see that model has 115 up to 230 I deal with hvac that is my #1... I normally do residential to light commercial so it shouldn't be to hard to figure this out but you have to start at the board and give me some readings..... check first where the power comes into the board. Is the com or c from the compressor connected to where the hot plugs into the board?

I have 118 volts coming in to board from hot line to pink wire which is going to compressor overload. Now, the display lights up and beeps on every setting I put it to but no fan and no compressor are coming on. No power from neutral to the fan speeds. Something has it shut off. This is with a brand new control board! PC board. 118 volts go out to transformer but don't know how much out. Display lights up so I know it's putting out proper voltage. Where did MD home services find 13.2 volts coming out of transformer?