Clicky

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Rjkd12

Frigidaire Dehumidifier FFAD7033R10 F0 Error Code Troubleshooting

EvanM

Hi all, new user here

Bought this dehumidifier two months ago from Amazon (and added the Square Trade 2yr warranty). Got the F0 error last week.

Electrolux customer service quickly sent out a replacement, great... except they sent the shi**y 2013 704DWD model. It is UGLY, less energy efficient, louder, and costs FORTY dollars less at Home Depot right now up the street. The manager said to me "We reserve the right to give you something comparable..." Bait and switch at its finest.

While I file various complaints, I am interested in this thread. I have some questions if anyone has the knowledge! An Amazon reviewer actually posted a picture of moving the sensor to the bottom elbow, which I did and it quit throwing the code. Now I am going to unhook the hose to see if its actually filling the bucket and how fast.

1. Im gathering that frost/ice is good? That means it is doing its job- it freezes humid air, and then it melts and fills the bucket?

2. If it was working right, would the whole rectangle be covered in frost? Mine is frozen along the bottom 1 inch, along with that elbow, which is a solid ice block (with cover off at least).

3. Furthermore, does 1 inch of ice mean low refrigerant? If so, can that be added or is it a sealed throw-away system?

4. What exactly is this temp sensor looking for? Is it expecting to get really cold and then say 'time to defrost?' And in our case, it is still too hot after awhile, so it throws a code and shuts off?

Thanks and appreciate any expertise.

Evan

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Ville80
On 10/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, Ville80 said:

Wow thank you everyone! I just kept unplugging it and finally researched leading me here. Sat watching it compressor kicked on and off no change.

Called Electrolux directly. Said my area was qualified for 2-5 year field system error service. She didn't even ask details what was wrong. Receiving auto replacet letter within a week.

Letter never arrived. So Called Electrolux. This time told to call Frigidaire. After all the options, was forwarded to Electrolux... she emailed me the letter.

Cut the cord and took a pic, attached serial tag to letter to scan, and forwarded Best Buy email receipt. 

Will be mailing me a new one.

Rjkd12

Hi Evan,

I am by no means an expert at all, just a guy who likes to tinker with stuff and googles troubleshooting tips on the internet. I just know a little from what I recall when troubleshooting my own years ago, and in general from troubleshooting similar devices (AC/Refrigerators). I'll take my best guess at your questions below. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge can confirm/deny.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, EvanM said:

Hi all, new user here

Bought this dehumidifier two months ago from Amazon (and added the Square Trade 2yr warranty). Got the F0 error last week.

Electrolux customer service quickly sent out a replacement, great... except they sent the shi**y 2013 704DWD model. It is UGLY, less energy efficient, louder, and costs FORTY dollars less at Home Depot right now up the street. The manager said to me "We reserve the right to give you something comparable..." Bait and switch at its finest.

While I file various complaints, I am interested in this thread. I have some questions if anyone has the knowledge! An Amazon reviewer actually posted a picture of moving the sensor to the bottom elbow, which I did and it quit throwing the code. Now I am going to unhook the hose to see if its actually filling the bucket and how fast.

1. Im gathering that frost/ice is good? That means it is doing its job- it freezes humid air, and then it melts and fills the bucket?

I don't think its good. It is good that you're getting cold, but ice buildup means that the fan isn't moving enough air across it. You should get condensation and then have it drip into the bucket before freezing. If its freezing, you're operating it in too cold of an environment or not enough air is moving past it. You can check the fan and your filter to make sure they are working properly.

2. If it was working right, would the whole rectangle be covered in frost? Mine is frozen along the bottom 1 inch, along with that elbow, which is a solid ice block (with cover off at least).

Maybe some frost, is OK with the cover off, but it should be condensing air and dripping into the pan. Big frost chunks or ice aren't good. You are geting frost since you have some kind of air flow restriction (question above) and its only at the end since you're low on refrigerant (question below).

3. Furthermore, does 1 inch of ice mean low refrigerant? If so, can that be added or is it a sealed throw-away system?

I do recall reading something that ice near the end of the coils means low refrigerant. This is a throw-away system as far as I can tell. Its definitely not set up like a house AC unit where its user-friendly to add some. Thats not to say its not impossible, but if a person isn't sure if you can add refrigerant I think its safe to say they should not.

4. What exactly is this temp sensor looking for? Is it expecting to get really cold and then say 'time to defrost?' And in our case, it is still too hot after awhile, so it throws a code and shuts off?

My compressor got really hot when it wasn't working properly and I wasn't getting any cooling. I didn't have frost anywhere. After a while, it would shut off the compressor, and allow it to cool. My *guess* is that if you aren't getting cooling, the compressor is working non-stop and will overheat. So this sensor is to shut off the compressor if cooling isn't happening. Lowering the sensor allows it to get a "cold" measurement (indicating everything is working), allowing the unit not to trip off while your unit is dying or had a temporary leak. I say temporary leak only because some people have reported that the unit works for an extended period of time after they moved the sensor. To me that means they either rarely use it or its not constantly leaking refrigerant.

Thanks and appreciate any expertise.

Evan

evetS

Just got off phone with Electrolux and after a short discussion, I am now waiting for an email with instructions for a replacement unit. So thankful I found this thread.

evetS

Just received new dehumidifier today. Appears to be updated model of the one that failed. Build date 04/18.

EvanM

Because I made a big stink, they took back the 704DWD and upgraded me to the Gallery Wifi version of it. Not the sleek modern item I wanted, but it has a higher value and the wifi capability to offset my annoyance. 

The original one was definitely out of coolant and would not do anything but freeze the bottom. The only water was from that inch of ice melting when it shut off. Threw it away

Ville80

I received the exact same model.

Assuming I keep documentation to go through the process again in a couple years?

Such a waste to keep trashing the units. I hope they fixed the issue. One difference I can't hear a difference when the compressor kicks on.

It ran 2 days straight to get it to drop 5%. But water is dripping out. It now cycles on and off occassionaly.