LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

tried to fix Amana Fridge

acoustic5679

acoustic5679

Model is a Amana ARS9169AS side by side fridge.(http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?prodId=43708) So it stopped cooling in the freezer. I kept hearing a clicking every 1 min and I could tell it was coming from the overload relay. I bought new parts (overload relay and starter relay). Still doing the same thing. I can hear and feel the compressor start, but after about 30 sec, the click happens and it turns off.I am reading the same voltage at the relays at 110. The internal fans that circulate the cold air do not work either. The compressor fan does stay on all the time, unless the defrost mode is triggered. I turned the defrost mode and it seems to be turning and working so I do not think it is this. Any other ideas? or is it time for a new fridge?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acoustic5679

• 16345Ed

• BrewHobbyTech

• Derik

Top Posters In This Topic

BrewHobbyTech
27 minutes ago, 16345Ed said:

Check cold control

+1 on that. If the compressor actually starts running for at least a couple seconds or more and then shuts down it could be the cold control/thermostat. I had one a couple weeks ago. The control tested okay but it failed under a load. That could be the problem or it could be a bad compressor or something else. 

Cold controls should always be set at middle setting. 

Turn it all the way off. Does the compressor quit clicking and both fans stop?

acoustic5679

well there is only one compressor fan that is running. The condenser fans do not turn on regardless of where the dials are on the cold controls

There is a condenser fan by the compressor and an evaporator fan in the freezer. 

Are you saying the evaporator fan never runs?

BrewHobbyTech
36 minutes ago, acoustic5679 said:

yes sorry. So the condenser fan blows air on the compressor then right?

Yes, evaporator(fan) is in the freezer section and condenser fan is behind the unit. 

Depending on how it is wired, the defrost t-stat may have to close before the evaporator fan kicks on. Looks like the main problem is the compressor is not running or shutting off after about 30 seconds. 

Yes, actually across condenser coils. 

Check those coils are they clean? You want to get them clean if not. 

So does the condenser fan shut off when you close the cold control?

1 minute ago, BrewHobbyTech said:

Looks like the main problem is the compressor is not running or shutting off after about 30 seconds. 

Yes, and he put new start device on it. 

Do you think the compressor is seized up?

Let's start with the basics. 

Test wall outlet, voltage and polarity okay?

Do you have an ampmeter?

BrewHobbyTech
28 minutes ago, 16345Ed said:

Yes, and he put new start device on it. 

Do you think the compressor is seized up?

As you suggested, check voltage at wall outlet. Turn cold control to off position and you should hear or feel it click off. Then turn it back on and listen for the compressor to start. If it does start and run for a couple seconds or more and then shut down it could be a bad cold control If it doesn't start and you hear a click tripping the overload, then I'd say yeah, most likely a bad compressor. One thing I've been using more often is my cheater 3-in-1 relay. Plug~n~play to test. Once in a while the compressor hangs up. 90% of the time it's a bad compressor but 10% of the time it's not. If the compressor starts and runs with that in place then I'll unplug it and let the pressures equalize and then plug it back in with the old, or a new relay/overload and then take a good listen to how it starts. 

acoustic5679

The compressor does get hot on top. Not sure if that's a sign of it teying to work. I keep hearing the clicking though. There is a vibration from the compressor when it clicks. Then 10 or 15 seconds later the compressor stops vibrating upon the next click. 

BrewHobbyTech

My best guess with the info you've provided would be either a bad cold control or bad compressor. Try replacing the cold control, if that fixes the problem great, if not it's probably a bad compressor. It's also possible you have a bad capacitor on the start/relay device but I've never had to replace one yet, but there's always a first time. 

I'd ohm winding on compressor! You could also do a amp draw of compressor when it is running.  And depending how long it's been going on b4 u arrived, I'd let compressor cool down b4 ruling out start device issues.  But does sound like bad compressor 

3-1 hard start devices are used to eliminate start windings from overheating during start up. But... If it's already been clicking on and off for long period of times b4 arrival it's already overheated. Not Ohm readings and amp draw can help confirm issues easily though?

BrewHobbyTech
2 hours ago, Derik said:

3-1 hard start devices are used to eliminate start windings from overheating during start up. But... If it's already been clicking on and off for long period of times b4 arrival it's already overheated. Not Ohm readings and amp draw can

Bottom line........NO.......it's plug~n~play........hey........I'm a poet and don't know it.......oh nooooooooooooo....

....give me three steps...........  

acoustic5679

If it was the cold control that went bad, would the cold start shut off/turn on the condenser fan?  Seems like that part of the cold control is working.  

So you put new cold control in and compressor is running and no longer clicking?

When you turn off cold control all cooling stops. You are cutting power to fans and compressor, lights should remain on. 

You have a bad compressor.You replaced the overload and relay and the clicking is coming from the overload because compressor will not start and pulling too much amps. It is either lock up or has internal damage.  Also the evaporator fan in the freezer is wired through the defrost thermostat and if the compressor is not working the defrost thermostat contacts will not close so that the reason thats not working.You was right in your first post you need a   NEW     refrigerator.

acoustic5679

Yep I have come to the conclusion I do need a new fridge. Thanks for all the help though. I feel good that I tried.