Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade. Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology.

Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Gordon

MAYTAG ATLANTIS MAV6257AWW

Jeffrey Gordon

Hi.  I'm trying to replace the seal and bearing kit on my Maytag Atlantis MAV6257AWW washer.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the tub nut off to do the repair.  Tried soaking it with WD40 overnight, but no luck, the transmission moves when I try to get the nut off.  Any way to stop the transmission from turning while I am trying to remove the tub nut?   Any other ideas on how to remove the old tub nut?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hiroshi

This model requires a special fitting on a specific spanner wrench... the wrench is part# 35-2968 (old skool maytag part #) Some of them have a splined seal and the spline tool is a #22002898- It is a black disc that fits onto the #35-2968 spanner wrench.

Jeffrey Gordon

I am getting the tools, my question was how do I get the transmission to stop going around while I am trying to take off the nut?  Any way to brace it at the bottom?

Hiroshi

Usually, a couple good taps with a 2 pound sledge will get the nut loose without bracing the transmission.  Clamping vice grips on the case and bracing it against the support sometimes works in a pinch...

Koi Guy

If memory serves me, I do believe the locking nut is reverse thread. Perhaps you are tightening it.... ;) 

You can use a wood block to wedge against the gearcase and tub supports.

BrewHobbyTech

Yeah, I also believe the locking nut is a reverse thread. I hate wasting time and energy tightening something when I'm supposed to be loosening it.........but once you figure it out it does make the beer taste a little better at the end of the day.

sh2sh2

In the 1 belt Maytag like the Atlantis the threads are normal, lefty loosey

Hiroshi

Yeah, the "russian" thread nut is on the older versions