Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 911.4042593 wall oven shuts off

Land Cruiser

Land Cruiser

Have a Kenmore 24" wall oven 911.4042593 that has started to shut off on it's own during the heating cycle requiring several restarts before oven finally reaches desired temp, and I mean several restart attempts.

Heating element passes continuity check, along with the 2 relays behind the oven control board.

I checked for continuity of the temp sensor at the wiring harness for the control board (w-2 and w-3) with negative results.

If the temp senor is bad, will the oven still function after several restarts?

Thanks,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Land Cruiser

• Hiroshi

• johntech

• BrewHobbyTech

BrewHobbyTech
3 hours ago, Land Cruiser said:

If the temp senor is bad, will the oven still function after several restarts?

Yep, it could. The oven temperature sensor would be the first thing I look at. It's a common replacement part. 

Normally when the sensor is bad you will get an error or poor cooking results. Disconnect the sensor and test at room temp. Should read around 1.088 ohms. I think it sounds like the control board is clitching out. Does the unit turn itself completely off? Does the display still work? Can you turn it back on immediately and it works?

Land Cruiser
7 hours ago, johntech said:

Normally when the sensor is bad you will get an error or poor cooking results. Disconnect the sensor and test at room temp. Should read around 1.088 ohms. I think it sounds like the control board is clitching out. Does the unit turn itself completely off? Does the display still work? Can you turn it back on immediately and it works?

I suspect the unobtainable control board is going bad. No error codes have ever been displayed. Oven will just shut off on it's own and go back to the clock display.

Sometimes it will take 3 restart attempts before it will reach desired temp, others 30+ restarts. I attempted to check the sensor at the wiring harness as the connector would not pull through the access hole inside oven and did not want to pull from wall. No continuity when checked at w-2 and w-3 on wiring diagram for temp sensor.

Temp sensor is not a continuity check, it is an Ohm's resistance check, should read 1100 ohms at 72 degrees F. 

If you exposed the board to test the sensor, did you check for cracked solder joints?

Land Cruiser
7 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

Temp sensor is not a continuity check, it is an Ohm's resistance check, should read 1100 ohms at 72 degrees F. 

If you exposed the board to test the sensor, did you check for cracked solder joints?

Used my Fluke 7-300 automatic electrical tester to check the temp sensor at the wiring harness and it stayed at 0 ohms.

I pulled the control board and checked the solder side of the pcb hoping to find a bad solder joint at the Bake relay, but they all appeared to be good.

If the sensor was at 0 ohms, it means it is shorted out and giving no resistance... Yes, I would expect an error code, but I would trust my meter and investigate that sensor further...

Update:

Pulled unit from wall and installed new temp sensor, still shuts off.

Self Diagnosing bad control board; better half called time of death at 12:23 pm. She says the oven is "long in the tooth" and time for update.

Thanks for the assistance, off to check out Labor day sales.