Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Washing Machine model # 2002 violent shaking

Tony92

I have a basic white Kenmore top loading washing machine, model # 2002,  purchased early 2013. It has become very unbalanced on spin and vibrates to such an extent that the tub ring (W10215107) has got caught on the rear of the casing tearing the plastic and needs replacing. The machine is located on a level concrete floor. I have opened up the top and removed the tub ring but don't know how to remove the balance ring. The ring has 8 small flat indentations on its circumference, one with what looks like a recessed button about 3/8" across.

Before replacing the tub ring I need to cure the shakes. Does this sound like the balance ring. the four spring loaded suspension rods, all of them or something else?

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony92

• Hiroshi

• Koi Guy

• 16345Ed

My mistake, model # 2002 was from the instruction book that came with the machine. Decal under the lid says #110.20022013.

Ok, yeah, if this thing is doing what i call the "jump-slam" then the suspension rods are the fix for it. If the tubcover is broken, relace that too to avoid a leak...

Thanks for the advice. Describing the violent shaking as a "jump-slam" is very apt. I'll replace the suspension rods and the damaged tub ring.

I'd still like to know how to access the balance ring if only to check and see if it has any liquid in it ...

In order to access the balance ring, you would remove the spin tub and shake it around to hear the fluid. The counter-balance rings are tough though, never seen one break or leak unless it was purposely punctured/abused...

Don't try to disassmble the inner tub and balance ring as it is a complete assembly. If there is a balance ring issue, you would replace the assembly. It is very unusuall to have any issues. It is very common on this unit to have failed suspension. The assembly comes with four suspension rods and everything you need to for complete repair. For the cost, I would replace this first. Keep in mind there are several issues that could cause vibration issues.

FYI, to remove the tub you would prefer to have the spanner tool used to loosen/tighten the locking nut from the spin block. But I think you're barking up the wrong tree...

I've seen the suspension rods fail and that resulting in a cracked/damaged tub ring on many occassions. This is not uncommon..

OK, thanks to both of you for the thoughtful and helpful advice. I will replace all four of the suspension rods.

• 2 weeks later...