Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Thinking but can not make the decision.

happypyka

Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking your time to read this. I got a bit of a situation. I've been visiting this site for the last 2 months, the most, and have been thinking of starting the appliance repair business. Currently in a business that is complete not related to appliances, not even close. What made me want to consider appliances is that my appliances have broken down before and finding a decent tech was somewhat of a challenge. So, my best advisor and critic and beautiful wife, advised me to look into starting something for myself. To my knowledge, there is no one that I know who closely that does anything with appliances, therefore creating a complicating problem: where to get the answers to my never ending questions? I've taken the beginners course from the Samurai and even thou was a good course, I continue to find myself in a place full of doubt. Doubts whether this business is profitable or not and what is the future for the service sector. I've heard from someone who knows someone that used to work for someone and he used to deal with only insurance companies. But just like anything that has a word insurance in it, there is always a headache. Or is there? See what i'm talking about... Anyways, any words of wisdom from someone who's been "around the block" and "seen" enough of this business, please share with me your experience of where has this business been in the past and what are the potentials. The industry that I've been for the last 13 years became "regulated" many years ago before me but have been getting consistently worse with regulations and procedures. Maybe if you may, share about why your in this business altogether and why you have not found something else. That said, i do completely understand the self-reliance on my efforts (marketing, customer experience and pricing). I'm considering investing in my knowledge by purchasing more courses and Tech Only package with access to the tech sheets and all but don't want to put anything more just to find myself in disappointment and bailing out. 

Much appreciate your responses and share's. Will read every single one of them and consider all your advises. 

Thank You, Thank You and Thank You!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quick

• AlboGator

• LI-NY Tech

• BrewHobbyTech

I am in my first year of appliance repair and owning my own business. I had many doubts before jumping off into it but you have already taken an important step in starting in this business when you took the fundamental course. I strongly suggest that you take the rest of them. Another important step is to upgrade your membership here.

There is no one else in my area doing full time repair, there are a couple of part time guy's. I went around and talked with the local business that are selling appliances and they recommend me when people call in, 99% of my business has come from them. I talked to relators and other contractors (builders, plumbers, a/c, electricians) that send me business. Business was slow taking off for the first few months but it is really good now.

My biggest problem that I am facing at this time is learning to run my business instead of it running me. I have been working late almost every night and some on weekends. I am almost to the point that I need to train someone to help me. As far as my short time experience in this business I think it was a good move. I don't ever see me getting rich doing this but it is a good living and it is very rewarding.

Thanks for responding Lighthouse. A few question pop in to mind: have you done appliances before? How hard was it for you to figure out the repair process and techniques? Lastly, have you used any services like apliancevideo.com or such sort? Thanks once again.

I had not done appliances before. I grew up in my dads mechanic shop and then changed over to an engineer on a ship, where I repaired everything onboard. I just had to study them some and figure out how the components operated.

I have not used appliance video but I have looked into it and I think it is a great thing but I just haven't taken advantage of it yet but I do plan on using it in the near future.

i do take advantage of videos to help me figure out how to get some things apart without tearing them up.

take advantage of the manufacture training offered by some of the vendors & associations.

Keen mechanical and technical ability's are required. Hands on experience is going to be such a challenge for you. My goodness, it's not easy as some would have you believe. There's a reason right there you see a shortage of Appliance Repair Techs. But where there's a will there's a way. I've taken the other courses here. Yes you will need them. But they are not going to make you an experienced technician. This site is of wonderful help. But this site is not going to be able to give you the experience you will need. Gaining that will be challenging big time. You have some tough dues to pay. Once you learn and start seeing repetitive repairs under your belt the job will start to get easier and your profits will increase.

A seasoned tech could start a small successful business nearly over night in the right town with the right location.  I see such a challenge ahead of you. There's so much to learn and it never stops. 

The money you make  will vary depending on your demographics and what you service. I will speak for old school mechanical distribution. I ran 8 to 12 calls per day on average. 6-7 completes. How many completes these guys are doing in the field the field today on this digital stuff I don't know. Maybe someone here could tell us if they read this. Two ways to charge, by the book or time. Something you will have to look at and decide for yourself. 

Be realistic. This skill is underpaid for the most part. Service will always be good. You can always trade a service call for a chicken. Think about that. 

Quick

1 hour ago, Quick said:

You can always trade a service call for a chicken. Think about that. 

Please just leave the chickens alone.

The training that is available here will be essential to your success. The other aspect is being able to perform in a variety of situations ranging from dam near inaccessible appliances to customers who literally pull up a chair and want to know your life story while you try and work. The insurance, state regulations, accounting, and generally trying to not get screwed by everyone just goes along with running any business.

My advice: go to work for someone who does warranty work for whatever brands are most prevalent in your area. You'll get plenty of reps, learn how to talk to customers (hopefully) and most importantly get paid while you figure shit out.  

On 9/17/2016 at 8:42 PM, happypyka said:

Doubts whether this business is profitable or not and what is the future for the service sector.

This business, if done right, if very profitable. The future of this industry, and where the money is, is high end service.  Low end machines, while plentiful, are inexpensive and thus difficult to sell repairs on and still make a good profit.  As a true professional you should charge professional rates, but this is often hard to do with a machine that costs less than $500 new.  If you want to get into this business learn how to service complex premium brands and charge accordingly.  

On 9/18/2016 at 5:09 PM, Quick said:

How many completes these guys are doing in the field the field today on this digital stuff I don't know. Maybe someone here could tell us if they read this. Two ways to charge, by the book or time. Something you will have to look at and decide for yourself. 

Be realistic. This skill is underpaid for the most part. Service will always be good. You can always trade a service call for a chicken. Think about that. 

On low end appliances that need a control they  might as well be thrown away.  Premium brands that need electronics are running close 100% completes because very few people want to go out and spend $3000 on a new dishwasher or $10,000 on a new range.

Charging should be book rate.  Hourly is a losing proposition in this business, the more skilled you get the faster you get and so the less you bill per job.  

This skill is underpaid for a reason.  Most appliance techs do not value their skills properly, lack skill altogether or maybe just "feel bad" about charging professional rates.  A properly skilled technician, as an owner as well, can command a premium price.  If you view your skill as professional quality and charge for that quality you will most definitely not be underpaid.  As someone looking to make a career change I'd ask myself if I want to go through all that trouble to be a mediocre tech and make just OK money or if I want to be the best and make good money.  It all depends on your perception of yourself and what you want.  If you want just OK money there are probably easier ways to do it.  Don't make a career change to simply try to outprice the lowest priced guy in town, that's a race to the bottom.

See this video about charging professional rates for (actual) professional quality:

Edited by LI-NY Tech

That's true. Demographics come into play as well though. Just how many Subzero and high end ranges in your area?

Quick 

6 minutes ago, Quick said:

That's true. Demographics come into play as well though. Just how many Subzero and high end ranges in your area?

Quick 

I don't know if I can answer how many, except to say a lot.  We service Nassau County, Long Island, NY, the county next to NYC, so in general a high income area.  However, until we made an effort to target that demographic we didn't get a lot of them.  When we focused on pursuing high end as a majority of our business we got it, and of course had to step up our game on everything from the way we look to the way our phones are answered.  We run 10-18 calls per day (2 techs) and about 75% are high end.  Profit per call is about double or more compared to low end machines.

Nice. The worlds my oyster for now. I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to service and just how deep I want to get back into it myself.

Quick

It's a great career, for now. I know they've been saying for years that the new generation of appliances will put us out of a job but it all depends on what you work on. I have many customers with older sub zero's, Monograms, Viking ranges.. . The kind of stuff they want to keep for a lifetime. I'm lucky to live in a higher end area though. My bread and butter stuff is the regular washers, dryers, refrigerators that are common and nothing exciting usually. I run 6-10 calls a day, am self employed and have been taking care of my people for a little over 10 years now. I had experience before that in repairing but at a used appliance store so it wasn't the same. 

I wouldn't trade it for anything. If someone called me tomorrow and offered me a job making 200K a year working 9-5 I wouldn't think twice about turning it down. 250 and I'd think about it. I love doing this. I can solve peoples problems, hack a manufacturer and get paid well for it. If you can successfully make a business and a life out of this then you could do just about anything you wanted in the event that in 15 years we go the way of TV repairman. 

On 9/24/2016 at 1:33 PM, AlboGator said:

I run 6-10 calls a day, am self employed and have been taking care of my people for a little over 10 years now. I had experience before that in repairing but at a used appliance store so it wasn't the same. 

Wow.....when I originally started in this business(I was in my early 30's back in May 1993) I was running 4-6 calls a day, sometimes a couple more, and most of the time the extra calls I ran were callbacks on other techs in my shop, which I didn't get paid for(I worked commission), I had to fix what wasn't done right the first time. When I quit(after 7 years, April 2000) and went on my own I was geared up to run anywhere from 30-40 calls a week, and I stocked more parts than anyone in SE Michigan(I hate running for parts). Even my main parts supplier(Servall) joked with me that if they didn't have a part in stock......the customer should call me and see if I have it on my truck. 

Anyway, I've worked apartment & condo complexes, and doing 10 calls in that small of an area is a full day......let alone driving 10-20+ miles per call........I couldn't imagine doing that for too long......I'd be dead. I've run 10-11 calls in one day two or three times......that's insanity. I don't know what's normal, but I tell ya what.......if I run 25-30 calls in a week I'm a happy camper and that's full freaking time work in my world. I also do system work, so that may make a difference also. I consider refrigeration my specialty, and I actually enjoy it. But, the way they're making appliances now........they're junk.......and it sucks.......the good old days are over.........

But, you have to deal with what the manufacturers are making and what people are buying. One silver lining in being an appliance repair tech is that we all have a needed skill as long as there is a need for appliances, enough people are still working......and the electricity is still turned on. Without electricity we're mostly out of work.......then it's being a carpenter and other skills, as long as you have tools that don't require electricity. 

2 minutes ago, BrewHobbyTech said:

if I run 25-30 calls in a week I'm a happy camper and that's full freaking time work in my world.

That's my idea of a full week as well. The problem is that Mrs Green is calling, or a referrel from someone, or something that I'll be driving by. I've been looking for a tech with no luck. I trained someone for about 8 months that couldn't hack it. I don't want to do that many calls and would like to go back to 4-6 but I think this is the way it is now. I'm almost booked for this week already and don't like it that way. I like my turn around time in 2-3 days and people are waiting 7 for me just to go out there. 

7 minutes ago, BrewHobbyTech said:

we all have a needed skill as long as there is a need for appliances

In the event that the robots replace humans someone needs to fix the robots, the skills we learn here will always be useful and we'll always have a job.

28 minutes ago, AlboGator said:

I don't want to do that many calls and would like to go back to 4-6 but I think this is the way it is now. I'm almost booked for this week already and don't like it that way. I like my turn around time in 2-3 days and people are waiting 7 for me just to go out there. 

I hear ya bro.....my philosophy is this......take the work, or as much work as you can while it's there........and that's what I've been doing. Sounds like you're doing the same. Here's the best advice I can give you or anyone else right now......

....If you have any excess/spare/liquidity.........please buy some physical gold or silver coins/bars. Silver is your biggest bang for your buck......that's the best advice I can give........and some extra food, water, ammo.......don't ask.....it'll probably come in handy very soon........

I have enough ammo to supply me and the neighbors in case the shit hits the fan. I just like to shoot and don't like spending a fortune doing it so I buy in bulk. Got the wife an ar for a Christmas present. Yeah, we like to shoot. Any day with tannerite is a good day.

If you have never been a professional, house-call making, knuckle bleeding, problem explaining technician of any kind before, then I would seek a part-time job or an apprenticeship for an old-timer who can show you fundamentals with patience...the real trick, in my opinion, is simply knowing how to get INSIDE every appliance. Many of the related systems ( like dryer motors, for example) are common from brand-to-brand, but how to get access INSIDE all the different Whirlpool dryers, GE dryers, and so forth is the real trick. You can find handy tips everywhere, but direct walk-throughs of every appliance and how to access the components is a REAL BEAR to find. A part-time gig or apprenticeship will be the way to get familiar without being under pressure to perform RIGHT NOW, most customers want to see your competence and will be a handful to work with if they see any weakness in your abilities, but being the apprentice removes that factor... and if you decide you hate it, no overhead lost. You could also start with the purely troubleshooting part by finding a gig working with someone who does used appliance sales and "get your beak wet," that way.

P.S. Dear AlboGator, please post a picture of the Missus with her "war face" on, brandishing the AR at your earliest convenience!