Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Water and Ice maker via 5 Gallon bottle?

str8maxn

I'd like to place my spare  Frig in the garage and have the water and ice maker work but I don't have a near by  water source.  Is it possible to use a 5 gallon water bottle placed on top of the frig and have it gravity feed to the water line of the frig?  

Thank you.Insert other media

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hiroshi

• str8maxn

• AlboGator

• northeastappliance

19 minutes ago, northeastappliance said:

i don't think that gravity would give you enough pressure. 

Agreed.

Think you'd have a problem with the valves. 20 psi is the min required for the valves to work so they'd probably leak. 

Ice maker is time filled and not enough water will fill in the allotted time with no pressure. If you have attic space above garage you may have some water lines up there that you could tap into and drop a line into the garage, or if you have a kitchen or bathroom backing up to one of the garage walls you may be able to steal water from there. 

Gotta be careful running water to garage machines if it is not heated and/or you live in a cold Winter climate...

I was gonna say this a few nights ago but I was too freaking tired and had to crash.........but here's what I was going say.....

Screw the cold water, for obvious reasons.........

Icemaker??.........hey, you can fill it manually with a cup of water.......and you magically have ice, as long as the icemaker is functional and cycles and the fridge is working as it should. Just fill it once or twice a day........or hey,..........go to the party store....buy a freaking bag of ice and dump it in. I don't know......it's kind of a DUH!!!!! moment for me......but maybe not for others........

I dunno.......maybe I'm just abby normal.......  

I do remember running a call for a customer who had been using a 5 gallon water bottle to supply water to his refrigerator.  He was using a hand pump secured to the neck of the bottle that seemed to provide enough pressure to allow the inlet valve to function properly.  Of course he would have to work the pump each time after the icemaker would cycle.

I later on found that same pump at Harbor Freight for $5.00.

You could run a pressurized reverse osmosis line to it, the good R.O. units are available with pressure controlled reservoir tanks.

I was thinking about Vee8's comment and realized that raising the height of the bottle would not affect pressure as it would not change relative gravity... but if you made a 50 foot tube and filled it with water the weight of the water in the tube as it got higher WOULD increase the P.S.I. The guy who invented the town water tower already figured that one out though... no gold star for re-inventing the wheel 7000 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a pump on a bottle (as Ivasquez mentions) for years, it works great. It's a good solution for some old houses or rentals where there is no water at or near the fridge. I tied some cord through the mounting ears on the pump and it just hangs around the neck of the bottle. I could use ice trays, but for me, and the amount of ice I use, the convenience outweighs the hassle of refilling the bottle. 

On 10/9/2016 at 9:57 AM, lvasquez11 said:

Check this out.

Goggle cbw1150a

I checked this out

Looks very neat