Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore 106.51103110 no freezing/cooling

shopgirl

This side by side unit is 5 years old this month. Two years after purchase it began leaking water from the bottom front, randomly, I never had it repaired. A week ago I noticed the ice maker wasn't making any ice. Within a couple days I discovered my food was starting to thaw in the freezer and the refrigerator was not as cold. I noticed through the vent in the back of freezer there was ice on the bottom coil. I have cleaned the coils, forced hot water through drain hole, checked vents between both sides for no obstructions, removed back cover, felt and heard compressor kick on and continue running, evaporator fan is running. I removed the back panel from inside freezer, fan is running. What I discovered is the line coming from the back of the freezer into the thermostat and then to the coils is heavily frosted across the top coil, all the way down the right side coil, across the bottom coil, but when it goes up to the next coil there is no frost anywhere on the rest of the coils. Basically just the top coil, side and bottom coil has frost. Any help would be truly appreciated. Kenmore model 106.51103110

Read more: http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/567265-side-side-freezer-refrigerator-not-cooling.html#ixzz4LeIo3GLI 
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shopgirl

• AlboGator

• Hiroshi

• 16345Ed

You're describing a frost pattern that's low on freon. The coils should be evenly frosted top to bottom, left to right. If you could post a picture of the frost that would help. 

38 minutes ago, shopgirl said:

Ok, thanks. I'm trying to figure out how to get the photo from my android phone to here, my take a little bit.

It may be easier to post them to imgur and link them here. 

Sorry I just can't get it to work. I have tried for quite some time, I have been able to upload my image but it won't allow me to share it. I've googled as well as read this site and followed the directions but I'm not tech savvy enough to figure it out. I'm guessing that sadly this is not a cost effective repair for this refrigerator. Anyway thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it.

You have a refrigerant leak shopgirl, your description was detailed enough to make the call, but AlboGator and the rest of us would hate to "shoot" your machine without all the evidence available...

Yes, it is time to begin pricing replacement machines...

19 hours ago, AlboGator said:

yup. It's time. 

But doctor......the patient can be saved....LOL   

Yeah, it can be saved but it's probably not cost effective. If you were a tech that did system work it's probably worth the time and expense, because the labor is free, and it depends where the leak is. 

Wasn't that the line from the beginning of "the 6 million Dollar Man?"

No use in making this the "6 Thousand Dollar Refrigerator!"

I agree with the diagnosis... an easy identification of a typical sealed system leak. The typical repair would be to replace the evaporator coil. While others are saying it's time to get a new fridge, I disagree. Your unit is a very robust unit and is way more servicable than a new fridge. But if you want to go out and spend a couple thousand on a new piece of junk, feel free. Before you buy, browse the forums a bit and see what kind of problems others are having with these newer fridges, you might be better off repairing yours. 

The reason why your fridge leaks water is because of the clogged drain tubes and the reason why your ice maker is not making ice properly is because your ice maker may not be filling properly.I had a similar problem with an LG fridge that I bought from a kitchen appliance store called best brand appliance.Since you have done almost everything capable of a DIYer I think it is better you seek professional help