LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

ZFSB25DXSS (GE Monogram side by side) How to unclog refrig side evap drain?

benmargolin

So... water periodically building up in the bottom of the fridge side (only), seems to be coming from the right side of the evaporator. Cannot figure out where/how to access the drain, which I assume is clogged with something. It's got this "air flow tower" thing, and a few screws that look like it MIGHT remove the housing around the top of the evap unit from the inside of the fridge, but pretty unclear if that's where I need to attack this, or from the back of the unit. Any advice? I think this is the relevant drawing, and the issue is probably in part 960 or 226, but how to best access?

Thanks for any advice!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• benmargolin

• Chat_in_FL

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Evaporator drip pan likely rusted out, you will have to remove the evaporator cover to check out what is going on, and most of the time, you will have to replace the evaporator cover after you remove it because the Styrofoam insulation usually breaks. Loosen the two screws on the water tank cover and lower it out of the way to access the evaporator cover.

Part number: WR17X11843

Part number:  WR17X11843

Thanks, Chat_in_RI! I bet you're right -- the water that leaks is indeed rusty. Thanks so much for the pointer, will order the parts and give it a shot :)

BTW, any advice how to get the rust etc out of the drain tube at that point? Looks like a pretty twisty tube from the diagrams. Blow air through it? Is it accessible to take out at that point?

1 hour ago, benmargolin said:

BTW, any advice how to get the rust etc out of the drain tube at that point? Looks like a pretty twisty tube from the diagrams. Blow air through it? Is it accessible to take out at that point?

I doubt the drain is clogged with too much rust. You may be able to pull out whatever is clogging the drain once you remove the drip pan, otherwise use a turkey baster to blow or suck the debris out of the drain.