Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Miele self-reset?

rokosz

Hi all, I've got a Miele DW G2480SCVi.  Last Night it decided to go on an error binge.  First the Intake/Drain light came on along with the audible.

In the last couple of weeks I'd already checked the triple filter (but not drain valve).  So, first I went after the intake filter.  Ahha! yes, a fair amount of greenish calc. I don't think I'd ever cleaned it (8 yrs service so far).

It was'nt nearly blocked but I could understand the unit's disgruntlement. Cleaned it reassembled etc. Tried again. Same thing.  Ok, double check drain area (but not the drain valve - hadn't put my hands on the manual yet).  Seems ok try again. Same thing but also get an F13.  Go find the manual.  

The symptoms were consistent: the first 30 seconds or so sounded as normal, then a bit of a thunk under the front right, silence for about 5 secs then error conditions raised.

So with manual in hand I removed the drain valve, cleaned it.  The white o-ring had a fair amount of white buildup -- at first I thought the ring was disintegrating -- but as I rubbed the debris away the ring came into clear view and seemed fine.  The propeller turned both ways - but there was a rubbery resistance in both directions.

Try again.  Same but no F13 this time.  Switched to the Rinse&Hold program. same.   I'd thought that by virtue of unplugging the unit, if there was a reset (expected) that the unplug would do it.   

I got frustrated and left the unit with the expectation of calling Miele or contacting you folks.  This AM I thought, aww heck try it again.  It was still on the rinse&hold -- and whoop! it finished without error.  Ok, now actually wash:  whoop! it completed again.

So, does this unit have some sort of internal reset and if so, does it have a particular method for "forcing" it?

And is the drain propeller supposed to have a bit of resistance when spun with a finger? (kinda like one of those rubber band glider feelings)

thanks.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rokosz

• LI-NY Tech

• VikingDaniel

If you're getting the correct amount of water (just under the filter handle) and then you get an F13 it's probably a flow meter issue. 

If you get no water at all then it's probably a WPS issue. However the WPS doesn't usally correct itself or fail intermittently so flow meter/ water diverter is probably at fault.

You'd have to measure flow meter pulses to know for sure, but you can only do that with a  Miele diagnostic tool (laptop and optical reader).

Please note this is NOT a novice repair

I second David, it is most likely the Water Proof System Pn#  07638531 and it can be ordered through Miele  (800) 999-1360 .

Unit has to be vacuumed dry, removed from cavity, protect the floor and cabinets. Set on it's right side, to keep water from dripping into relay which will cause more issues. Just friendly advise to help avoid further issues.

Daniel from Oceanic Repair NJ

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2016 at 9:59 AM, VikingDaniel said:

Please note this is NOT a novice repair

I second David, it is most likely the Water Proof System Pn#  07638531 and it can be ordered through Miele  (800) 999-1360 .

Unit has to be vacuumed dry, removed from cavity, protect the floor and cabinets. Set on it's right side, to keep water from dripping into relay which will cause more issues. Just friendly advise to help avoid further issues.

Daniel from Oceanic Repair NJ

Ok, its happened again. I'm not getting error codes just the drain light and audibles.  I've tried searching the part# VikingDaniel quoted and not having any luck (except hertitage parts which had it (not in stock) at $593. ow ow ow.   https://www.heritageparts.com/Manufacturers/Miele/MIELE-WATER-INLET-HOSE/p/MIL07638530 But that was also a slightly different number with no pics.  I seem to remember something here at App.org or closely related that offered parts for sale etc.  Anybody know the web address?  thanks

ps I'm gonna dig into the wps and see if I can find the restrictor -- I recall seeing only the filter back in October -- If I didn't see it, maybe the solution is to inspect and clean that.

Yes! exactly.  I called Miele and they took me through the diag and agreed it is the WPS. Ordered it, had it in 2 days. Started it Friday night about 8PM thought I'd go part way and finish in the AM but felt good about the progress and was done by 11PM

Only time suck was understanding that the installers 8y ago never dropped the rear feet to the floor (how did they get it installed like that?) -- and figuring out how the unit was kept in place (ahhh, the four recessed screws into the fill panels on either side). There are two recessed screws up top too -- but mine weren't used (stone counter)

Note to any DIY'er.  yes when you put the unit on its right side to remove the bottom panel there will be some water -- but if you vac or soak up the cabinet drain area beforehand it really isn't much _And_ have a cup handy for when you pull the intake hose off the dw itself and catch the dw's pee and then tilt the hose into the cup too.

Its nice to think some folks here think I'm more than a novice (now).

• 2 years later...

Well, the same unit is acting up again.  No error codes at all, usual check of supply filters (needlenose remove teh gasket, pull the little white basket) fine.  Check of drain and impeller. Yeah it needed a cleaning -- but not so much to think it couldn't drain.

Aside from the beeping and flashing lights about 30 secs. from door close,  the intake/drain light will blink 5 times. 

Anybody know of a resource (or know!) how to discern what the 5 blinks mean?  Everything I find _seems_ to indicate no water supply.

Sheesh, if its the WPS (again) I sure hope its still under Warranty (yeah, good luck wid dat) (less than 2 1/2 years since the last time!).  Maybe I'll improve the time to replace over last time...(3hrs).  Thanks