Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

• Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Sharing Manufacturer Technical Literature with DIYers here at Appliantology

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

Had a good question via private message from a member asking about sharing manufacturer technical literature (tech sheets, bulletins, service manuals, etc) with DIYers here at Appliantology. I thought it was a good question that other members here at Appliantology may be wondering about so I'm posting it here in the forums. I've withheld the member's name for privacy reasons:

What is the policy on sharing info with unpaid visitors?  

Can we share service pointers?

For manuals are they to be advised of paid service?

The mission of Appliantology is to support professional appliance repair technicians and provide a venue for continuing education in the art and craft of appliance repair. I encourage all technician members here at Appliantology to place a priority on helping other technician members here at the site over helping DIYers.

Appliantology is not focused on supporting the DIY community. The fact that there are DIY help forums here at Appliantology at all is merely a vestigial function of its long history. 

Philosophically, technical documents should never be shared in topics posted in the DIYer Appliance Repair Forums. Technical documents are for professional appliance repair servicers-- those who get paid to fix other people's appliances. It's fine to give DIYers simple repair tips but they are not entitled to inside technical docs which are intended only for qualified technicians (per manufacturer's own statements on these documents).

Nor should DIYers be told about free manufacturer sites to access and download tech sheets and service manuals. The reason for this is that the manufacturers set these sites up as a convenience to the tech community. Their server managers will see this increase in traffic, follow the referring URLs back to DIY topics here at Appliantology and then change the passwords or install a  password gate, install a pay gate or, worst case, simply take the site down to protect themselves from legal liability. (Manufacturers are sued all the time by DIYers who attempt to repair their appliance using an (illegally gotten) technical document who then end of inflicting more damage on the appliance or hurting themselves.)  Then we as techs are all screwed and deprived of an important information resource we need to do our jobs. It is of no benefit to anyone in the appliance repair trade to share these documents and sites with DIYers.

I'd like to point out that all of the Professional Appliance Technician Forums are open only to tech members here at Appliantology. Grasshoppers, lurkers, even search engine spiders CANNOT see the contents of topics posted in any forum in this section of the site. So it's perfectly fine to post any technical attachments and manufacturer links there.

Site philosophical and mission reasons aside, there are practical limitations to sharing technical documents with DIYers. Grasshoppers may not download topic attachments or files in the Downloads section. Nor may they use the private message system.

If you have any questions about this, please post them here or contact me via PM. If you are a tech member here at Appliantology and disagree with this policy, then I invite you to seek out other forums focused on helping DIYers. For others, I thank you for your participation and for being part of the Internet's largest online appliance tech support and continuing education community.

• Like 12

They can get alot of good free help just joining. But, to get the manuals they need to be a paying member to help support the site.

I thought it's always been that way though.

Edited by tpoindexter

I sometimes post up diagrams, knowing the Grasshoppahs cannot look at them, for the benefit of other techs that may be cruising through... 

• Team Samurai

Perfectly fine, mah bruvah. Carry on! 

• Team Samurai
12 minutes ago, tpoindexter said:

But, to get the manuals they need to be a paying member to help support the site.

I thought it's always been that way though.

Yessir, it has. Just wanted to clearly state that in one place. Thanks for posting that. 

• 5 months later...
  • Team Samurai
2 minutes ago, Scottthewolf said:

Thanks, now I know why my post got deleted.  Sorry about that.

A well-intentioned mistake. No worries. 

• 1 year later...

That was very well stated. Lots of very reasonable explanation  without making you look like a money-grubbing, elitist jerk. Well said!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

And that answers a question I had. So I agree it really helps no one if the diy-er get hurt or messes up his appliance. 

I get that. And appreciate the way it is explained. 

My comment to diy in the future "I have little trouble helping you figure out something if you understand it enough to ask the right questions. Trouble is I help you it creates a hole in my world of appliance repair that might get someone hurt or tear up an appliance even more. So ask the question and if you understand my answer or my next question we might be helping each other. If you don't then the service call is the best thing for both of us".

And BTW

Scott, has my confidence and loyalty for however long God leaves me here.

I had so little understanding of what has changed and how it works now from 30 years ago im so confident now I dont think there is anything I cant figure out. 

Thanks to Jesus Christ for my hope of salvation, thanks to Scott and team Samurai for the boost of correct technology knowledge to help my fellow man.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Team Samurai
On 3/22/2022 at 1:35 AM, Far field said:

Thanks to Jesus Christ for my hope of salvation,

Amen! 

I just noticed you posted this on March 22. Happy birthday to me! 🤠