Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

KSRG25FKSS15 KITCHENAID FRIDGE warm,changed relay and overload and dead

pluto459

Thanks in advance. I watched the video on what to change when the unit is blowing warm. I opened the back and the evap fan was running.  I thought that if I jumped the relay that it would start. Ihave 2 red wires and one green.  One red to overload and one to top left of relay.  I put a wire around both reds and plugged in and heard a pop and flash from under, near compressor.  THE evap fan then stopped running.  I see no fuse to reset or replace.

I bought the new relay and overload and installed and nothing happens now. Evap still dead.  DID I KILL THE UNIT?

NOTE: Take that jumper OFF of the machine before throwing the circuit breaker and blowing the thing AGAIN.

It never blew the circuit breaker.  The light on the inside was still on.   Just the evap fan stopped running.  

I am not sure where to start...   :bangin: 

The next place to look is to see what was damaged by dead shorting the compressor circuit- i would guess the cold control took a whollop...?

12 minutes ago, pluto459 said:

Where is that located?  That would cause the evap fan to stop running?

It's located in the control housing at the top of the fresh food section. Test it for continuity. I would also take a good look at the board sitting next to it. 

Thanks for the help.  So I could rest bards. Replace and spend close to what a new one would cost. Already wasted 60 on new relay I can't return so not sure worth chasing after. Thanks and anyone want a free fridge let me know. 

6 hours ago, Anytime Nick said:

It's located in the control housing at the top of the fresh food section. Test it for continuity. I would also take a good look at the board sitting next to it. 

any detailed info on location? I looked and didnt see any openings.

After looking at new ones and seeing how crappy and flimsy they are it might be worth it to fix this one.  Any help is appreciated.

Top of the refrigerator, where the control knobs are. You'll need to pry the faceplate off the front with a screwdriver or similar. Behind it are two 1/4" screws, and two more are on the backside of the housing, on the ceiling of the refrigerator. 

29 minutes ago, Anytime Nick said:

Top of the refrigerator, where the control knobs are. You'll need to pry the faceplate off the front with a screwdriver or similar. Behind it are two 1/4" screws, and two more are on the backside of the housing, on the ceiling of the refrigerator. 

http://www.partselect.com/Models/KSRG25FKSS15/Sections/CONTROL-PARTS/?ModelID=657597&ModelNum=KSRG25FKSS15&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=3&Selected=MLKM0I8T&Position=3&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=Refrigerator&Mark=3

I just see the defrost board in diagram.  I meant to say the condenser fan on the bottom by the compressor stopped working after the jumper incident.

To the left of the board is the cold control/ thermostat. It's number 5 in the diagram. 

The condenser fan (and evap fan) only runs when the compressor is running. The compressor only runs when the thermostat is closed. 

Edited by Anytime Nick

so before I jumped it the fan on the bottom was running, after the relay jump that fan stopped.  relay and overload are new and fan still not running.  sounds like i blew the control board?

But the compressor is also / still not running, correct? It wouldn't be surprising if you at least blew out the thermostat. That's where you need to start. Do you have a multimeter? 

After unplugging the refrigerator, you need to check the thermostat for continuity. Pull the knobs out,  pry the faceplate off and remove the 4 screws. Panel will drop down and you can access it. 

OK got it open. What leads will i test for continuity? I did hear a clicking noise when I first opened the door, was still plugged in.

117.JPG118.JPG

ok tested the thermostat and read 000

pulled out the control board and burned on back  Part is $200-350 depending where i order it from.  My question is if I replace this and the new relay and overload, do you think will work?

123.JPG

thanks, found in online 168 and I am in Houston, so tons of parts places. Paid 30 more then ordering it as I wanted my fridge back lol. THanks for the help. Plugged new one in and it is running. Will wait and see if it cools off.