Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kitchenaid KSRL25FTss00 Compressor Running Too Long

w5jv@hotmail.com

w5jv@hotmail.com

Put your thinking caps on guys.  I need help.  My Kitchenaid (AKA Kitchen-Ache) Side by Side Refrigerator quit cooling and it turned out the evaporator fan had quit working.  The OEM piece was not available so I put in a "generic" which seemed to do the job.  However, now my compressor is running too long and is obnoxiously loud.  I'm not an A/C-Regrigeration expert so I don't know what to check.

I put a thermometer in the freezer and it says 10 degrees.  Move it over to the refrigerator and it said 55 degrees and slowly falling.  After a day it was down to 40 degrees.  This AM it was achieving high 30's and I have the digital controller on the top of the refrigerator compartment set for 37 degrees.  Prior to the fan failure we had always kept the controller on 33 and it didn't seem to mind.

Can anyone tell me what to check (you'll have to spell out the steps for me) to see if there is some other component that is problematic?  The rear evaporator wall is icy cold but no ice build up yet.  We quit using the ice maker a long time ago and use manual trays now.  If a drop or two of water falls on the back wall, it freezes.

Help ! and thanks in advance for any clues,

Signed: An Aching Kitchen-Ache owner :-( ....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• w5jv@hotmail.com

• evaappliance

• 16345Ed

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious thing to do is start with OEM replacement fan. You could be over stressing compressor with fan that is not rated for your unit. 

Dirty condenser coils

A light that doesn't shut off

A door that doesn't close. 

These would all cause compressor to run. 

Ome is still available,     sometimes aftermarket is ok if your sure the moter is spinning the same direction as the original. Very common thing to happen with aftermarket moters if your not paying attention 

w5jv@hotmail.com

THanks guys.  Two questions:

On the fan rotation, which direction should it be turning or better, should it be pulling air across the evaporator fins below it or pushing air on them?

Second question:  We bought a coil brush made by G.E.  Nice tool but we can't figure out how to clean the bottom of the Vee shaped wires because they are running horizontal.  I can poke the GE brush through the larger holes and have bent it a little to shake some dirt loose but how in the world do you clean the Vee shapped wires that are horizontal to the front or rear?  What a strange thing to plan in a box.

it pulls the air through the evaporator ,  I usually just use a good shop vac. on the coils . be careful when poking around the condenser coils   

w5jv@hotmail.com

The Kitchenaid KSRL25FTSS00 seems to be back to normal.  One suggestion I got was to assume the obvious: that the generic evaporator fan was not sufficient for the large refrigerator.  So, I bit the bullet and bought the exact Kitchenaid replacement fan and took another morning to change it out.  The plastic fan only pushes on one way as the top of it is sealed and so the can cannot be even mistakenly reversed.  After start up, all the problems went away and the box is now back to normal.  Many thanks for the input on this and the encouragement.

I must note here that the evaporator fan seems to be the heart & pulse of the refrigerator.  Yes, the compressor cycles its Freon but it is the fan that makes it all work.  Thanks again guys; I much appreciate the help.

Cheers from Baton Rouge