Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

kenmore top load wobbly and clutch leaking

FixitRts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FixitRts

• evaappliance

• Hiroshi

• johntech

I found nothing on video about shaft seal but one question about how to put one in which was to "tap" it in. Seems it must have been pulled or cut out. Try that as I don't see any release screws. Here I gooooooooo.......

Shaft Seals require cutting out and clean all surfaces prepping for new seal.(that's some guru sh-- right there)These seals appear pressed in #8577374 smaller one was damaged with my over-zealous pressing back in. Split the seam so ordering another. #WP8577376 outer shaft came out easier and I used a 32mm socket to press back in(rubber hammer). Then went interior diameter socket 1 1/8 yet it's a mm "not flush and I'm afraid of being over zealous and splitting this one. I imagine their is a factory press tool; I saw one for another seal. Waiting for replacement of 374....

Shaft Seals come in factory fresh brake drum unit and the upper shaft seal...#8577374 is pressed all the way flush(video by "appliance man" shows during replacement) are metal reinforced rubber and are probably pressed with some type of machine from factory. Maybe we're not meant to be serviceable but As compared to new these were quite worn. 

Ok...so after basic training on this washing machine("...tear that rifle down private 10 times in 13 minutes or it's yo...lol".) it's ready for final reassembly but the leak still nags me. Shined a light through it looking for cracks or unnatural spots. Didn't really see anything So water pressure tested the tub...sealed up holes and filled with water. No visible leaks or air bubbles but in one palm size area it was sweating...not in a line but diffuse. The flex shield also did not take well here. Ok self let's dump the water and try and address this to avoid buying a $140 tub.  The WM god doesn't like me...the tub cracked when leaning it to its side and guess where...the diffuse leaking area..."shattered ". Hmmm. Our laundry room is sitting on garage wall and I'm thinking plastic brittle over time and mechanical vibrations. Gotta get a new tub anyway...dang. Hope this stops the leaking...stay tuned?

Shaft Seals come in factory fresh brake drum unit and the upper shaft seal...#8577374 is pressed all the way flush(video by "appliance man" shows during replacement) are metal reinforced rubber and are probably pressed with some type of machine from factory. Maybe we're not meant to be serviceable but As compared to new these were quite worn. 

Ok...so after basic training on this washing machine("...tear that rifle down private 10 times in 13 minutes or it's yo...lol".) it's ready for final reassembly but the leak still nags me. Shined a light through it looking for cracks or unnatural spots. Didn't really see anything So water pressure tested the tub...sealed up holes and filled with water. No visible leaks or air bubbles but in one palm size area it was sweating...not in a line but diffuse. The flex shield also did not take well here. Ok self let's dump the water and try and address this to avoid buying a $140 tub.  The WM god doesn't like me...the tub cracked when leaning it to its side and guess where...the diffuse leaking area..."shattered ". Hmmm. Our laundry room is sitting on garage wall and I'm thinking plastic brittle over time and mechanical vibrations. Gotta get a new tub anyway...dang. Hope this stops the leaking...stay tuned?

The washer is back together. Gearcase/transmission don't appear to leak any oil so seals must be seated enough. 

Washer is running smoother and stopping less dramatically. New clutch and counter balance springs installed and new tub. Floor is "BONE DRY" thus far. Still wiggles around some..thought spring would have helped that. 

Thanks fir for any advice or input from anyone and hope this helps others with leaks. I learned a lot...

Just got back from vacation and saw all this ! Sure hope it is fixed now and last you many years !