Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

kenmore top load wobbly and clutch leaking

FixitRts

Sorry if this is a tired topic but all leaks don't come from busted pumps. I have a Kenmore model 110.29823800 which has been leaking onto the floor...prior to that it always seems to wobble itself out of position like being off balance. I observe during the rinse cycle water dripping from around the clutch casing not the pump. Is there a seal there that has been shaken loose or worn out rom the shaking wobbles. Does this require a new clutch assembly or a gasket change. Any directions appreciated. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FixitRts

• evaappliance

• Hiroshi

• Quick

Having trouble with that model number. Most leaks come from leaky water valves. Sounds like yours is leaking from the tub seal. 

1 hour ago, johntech said:

Having trouble with that model number. Most leaks come from leaky water valves. Sounds like yours is leaking from the tub seal. 

Not sure what "trouble with that model number." I didn't mention that when I ran a cycle with no clothes...no leak. Shakes however clothes or not. When I put a comforter in...more shake...more leak. So could the tub seal lose its integrity and fail from the vibration. Would the fix be to replace the tub seal and also new springs. I noticed on transmission removal videos it pretty straight forward but I never saw mention of a "seal". Any help with part number appreciated "john tech"

Trouble with the model number, as in, it doesn't come up on any part searches...

Tub Seal is this one right here:   Part number: W10814296

Part number: W10814296

The springs are fine, they are tough and I have never seen one break, but you may need these if the tub is extra "squirrelly" : Part number: 285744

Part number: 285744 they snap in under the "skate" plate...

I put model number in wrong...sorry. 110.29822800. I ordered the tube seal and a spring since its was only $4. I was encouraged to purchase "3" suspension springs by the Sears agent. Seems contrary to what's being said here on that issue. On to the important "leaky tub seal" which after sourcing the spanner wrench I remove the nut. At this point in the repair clinic video the demonstrator EASILY lifts the tub out. Well on this Kenmore 800...it ain't moving.

So I'm going on with removing the springs and hoses and brackets per the video but looks like the shaft is frozen...I'll try lubricants and rust buster but ....

What am I missing here ;why this tub won't just pop/come up. More elbow grease...different procedure. Something I missed?

My old trick was this, put the spanner nut back on and don't screw it down more than a thread or two, then, while pulling up on the spin tub with one hand, tap the spanner nut with a hammer until the tub pops loose...

You are leaking because Liquid Soap has likely corroded the tripod tube and defeated the seal, so expect resistance!

Thanks Hiroshima...beat on it I will. Is the "tap" in any particular direction or just adding vibration and an anchor?

Just a tap while providing upward pressure- the spanner nut will be screwed to the drive bell, so the action should help seprate the tub from the bell/ bell from the transmission shaft...

Definitely "tap" and don't "beat."   

You can also grab the spin tub on either side of the rim and shake it , but the tapping hammer usually saves time and back muscle...

Edited by Hiroshi

"Brisk tapping" and I was able to get the tub to release from the shaft. Good trick screwing the nut also...Many thx. Old seal was a mangled mess...falling apart. Popped in the new one ...cleaned the shaft and mountS and now on to reassembly and usage with a dry floor.  (fingers crossed) I renewed the balance spring since I had one. Seemed a little sturdier new one it did.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping Hiroshi or someone pick this up. I did the tub seal disassembly and replaced tub seal. It's still leaking. I gotta get behind and see if leak is coming from same place. Any tips or ideas. I've been into auto diy last 2-3 weeks and now needs to get back on "Leaky". 

Yeah, Eva is on track... get a bright light and look closely at the bottom of the tub, a crack will usually look like a white line from below, and these tubs tend to crack where the "fin" makes contact with the tripod frame from "slamming" to a stop or banging around heavily off-balance. The "fin" is to the right of the hole in the tub if you are viewing the machine from the front, and it juts downward a few inches from the plastic tub bottom... but you should run a cycle of wash while laying below and watching for where the water is coming from.

When you installed the tub seal, was the tube it wraps around smooth and clean? 

Well, if you find a crack, buy another used whirlpool or kenmore of similar vintage and "frankenstein" them together to get back to "leak-free."

in addition to hiroshi ,  sometimes I will sand and  jb weld the crack and about an inch around it, if that's what is going on.  save the washer if at all possible

yes Im going over the install which was tedious but straightforward. The shaft was dirty and I tried to clean it off. I didn't Iike the way the "new" seal sat inside place and wiggle it and reapply x2-3 so "assuming the job was done right". I think there is always a chance and if I don't see a crack I'll break it down again and look at install. Update you guys accordingly...Thx so much

Okay guys couple things

1. If small load I haven't seen it leak 2. Big loads(maybe more suds it'll leak). I took a picture and video and trying to add to post. More clothes more stress as it appears to be pooling on top of transmission/black horizontal shelf blurry in picture and gearcase (quite rusted if this is normal). Just south of hose is floor where drip settles. I may not be IDing these correct so help?

Dripping off these to floor. Water coming from "central" above running gears so either my previous repair not adequate to contain or it's more wrong? So any tips on a plan appreciated.?

I'm going to redo the tub seal and make sure shaft is thoroughly clean and re-tighten all hardware. Also got some Flex shield spray to spray tub and maybe prevent future cracks?

If it is dripping onto the transmission there must be a leak at the seal between the agitator shaft and basket drive? I can't think of anywhere else that could supply water to the top of the transmission... hmmm, this is a head scratcher.

1 hour ago, FixitRts said:

Okay guys couple things

1. If small load I haven't seen it leak 2. Big loads(maybe more suds it'll leak). I took a picture and video and trying to add to post. More clothes more stress as it appears to be pooling on top of transmission/black horizontal shelf blurry in picture and gearcase (quite rusted if this is normal). Just south of hose is floor where drip settles. I may not be IDing these correct so help?

Dripping off these to floor. Water coming from "central" above running gears so either my previous repair not adequate to contain or it's more wrong? So any tips on a plan appreciated.?

I'm going to redo the tub seal and make sure shaft is thoroughly clean and re-tighten all hardware. Also got some Flex shield spray to spray tub and maybe prevent future cracks?

sounds like a good plan of action . the only other thing is the shaft seal I mentioned earlier . the water level doesn't cover that seal till you go over a medium load ( give or take a little )  but as hiroshi said , it has to be one of those two things.  sometimes it can be tricky !! 

6 hours ago, Hiroshi said:

If it is dripping onto the transmission there must be a leak at the seal between the agitator shaft and basket drive? I can't think of anywhere else that could supply water to the top of the transmission... hmmm, this is a head scratcher.

Is this the "shaft seal" mention per Evaappliance. Is this different than tub seal that I replaced? Is getting to shaft seal any more or less than tub seal. B4 or after tub seal?

5 hours ago, evaappliance said:

sounds like a good plan of action . the only other thing is the shaft seal I mentioned earlier . the water level doesn't cover that seal till you go over a medium load ( give or take a little )  but as hiroshi said , it has to be one of those two things.  sometimes it can be tricky !! 

Shaft seal vs tub seal. Did I miss that one during disassembly or is it further along the chain to assess it?

Thanks for your responses. My lazy side says..."Hmmmm it's only a small amount of water" but practical side will knows it's broke. We continue....

the other seal is at the top of the basket drive, under the drive block that holds the inner tub.  

Any video of getting to it or accessing? From underneath or continue past tub seal?

5 hours ago, evaappliance said:

the other seal is at the top of the basket drive, under the drive block that holds the inner tub.  

I'll see if I can find it on schematic/parts illustration

15 hours ago, FixitRts said:

Do this first, it is more likely & will not have to be disturbed if you have to continue on to the seal on the basket drive. You would have to pull the transmission to replace that seal, not terribly hard to do , just doesn't need replaced that often.

Working on dismantle but in meantime found this picture of gearcase/transmission (same?)

mid dhaft seal in section 5

You will have to post your picture on a sharing site like photo bucket and link it in your post.

my IT ability is improving..posting pics is a new one for me. New thing to learn...where is my 14 y/o when I need her...