LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Kenmore stacked - replacement lid switch has more wires

kimpapineau

Our Kenmore stacked laundry center (417.98702891) was stopping intermittently and we discovered that the lid switch was faulty--visibly damaged, plastic melted. The replacement part (131675600) has place for four wires, and installation videos show four wires, but the machine only seems to have the two white wires, which is all that the old part required. What are the two brown/red wires? We currently have the whole thing bypassed, but the unit is in a rental, and so this isn't a good long-term solution. The part number hasn't changed, and I can't find any reference to a change in design, or anyone else who is stumped by the wrong number of connections. Any help would be appreciated!

Kim

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Quick

• kimpapineau

• Hiroshi

• Budget Appliance Repair

Top Posters In This Topic

The replacement part is a locking latch... one set of terminals power the lock latch, the other wires go to the switch that let's the machine "know" the lid is closed. You want to hook up the wires that go to the switch which emits the "click" when you close the lid... I think Quick may have it backwards: Do hook up the microswitch. Don't hook up the latch motor (which should be the larger terminals, that go to the actuator, that operates the shiny metal hook).

With the switch attached it should work just like it used to...

The part of the old one that's burned out looks like it operated the black lever which must push a button to tell the machine that the lid is closed--the micro switch? And the other one is the shiny hook lid lock. But there aren't any wires hanging out that would've ever connected to the micro switch (if I'm referring to the right thing)--so I don't see how it ever worked...? But as long as I won't hurt anything by hooking up the single set of wires and not worrying about the other, I'll just give it a go. Thanks to you both for responding.

Your machine has probably always agitated with the lid open. Yes?

Some of those (Frigidaire) models won't allow for agitation with the lid up. That's what that micro switch is for... Those other models.

Quick

Quick is correct.

The newer models use the little micro switch on the side to keep it from agitating with lid open, ignore these two connections on your model.

The two larger connections on the side are the main internal lever switch for spin and the internal bi-metal that controls the lid locking arm, these are the only two that you need to have hooked up for your washer.

Quick sure wishes he knew what Hiroshi knows.

That's for sure.

I'll take a back seat to you buddy. That's just a fact as I know it.

We did confuse that poor guy though. L.O.L.

Quick