Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung Electric Range NE594R0ABSR - will not hold temperature

garywlynch

About a month ago, while I was at work, my oven made a weird noise and shutdown (later I learned it blew the circuit breaker)...  My wife said she thought that there may have been a "brown out" at the same time...  Anyway, I checked the electrical connections in the back and everything looked fine so we reset the circuit breaker and everything seemed fine...  

But since then we have noticed that cooking in the oven takes a LONG time.  Today we bought an oven thermometer and did a couple of tests.

First we set it to 400 using using regular bake...  When it was done pre-heating, the thermometer read 375.  This oven has an adjustment, so I adjusted the temperature up 25 degrees and restarted the pre-heating...  This time when it was done pre-heating, the temp was 405.  We just left it on and monitored things...  After 10 minutes, temp was 375; 25 min, 350; 40 min, 325; and finally 50 min, 315.  Then we stopped.

I let it cool and tried convection 400.  After pre-heat, it was at 380; 8 min, 380; 20 min, 375; finally 30 min, 380.

So, while not getting all the way up to 400, at least convection seemed to hold a consistent temperature...

Anyone have any suggestions of what I should test or check?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garywlynch

• abaesemann

• Hiroshi

• johntech

You can not use an oven thermometer  to test calibration. When and oven is set to say 350 degrees it will heat up to anywhere from 360 to 400 degrees and then turn the heat off till the temp drops to 300 - 340 degrees depending on the programming. To properly calibrate you will need a meter with a tempreture probe. Put temp probe near the oven sensor with meter outside the oven,  shut the door and let the oven preheat. After the oven cycles the heat on and off at least 3 times you would start recording the high and low temps from the meter as it turns the heat off and on. Say it turns the heat on at 300 and then turns the heat off at 400 you would record thoes temps and find the average temp by adding them and dividing them by 2 which would be 350 avg temp. You would need more data so you would have to do that at least 3 - 5 more times and add all the numbers together and divide by number of data points to get the average temp. An oven thermometer cannot react fast enough nor are they accurate enough for calibration.

• 1 month later...

Additionally now, the convection fan started making a humming noise and then stopped working...  

I hate to spend the money on the new control board and thermostat if that isn't the issue.  

Sure they are, if you use a mercury thermometer placed in the center of the oven, it will give an accurate guage of what temps the food items will be experiencing-

You just have to allow for the unit to cycle several times before you start your comparison... Repairmen calibrated ovens for a long time before fancy meters came along, brother.

I definitely DO NOT trust or ever use the cheap non-mercury thermometers that are out there, however...

• 3 weeks later...
jack.jimenez32

Check the resistance on that oven sensor when cold. Then heat the oven to 350 f and check resistance of oven sensor when board reaches 350. There is resistance readings on fast track that you have to be within if not your heating will be way off even after calibration. Usually an oven sensor plays at fault. Also last but not least check the resistance to the bake element it's embedded in the back and runs through the cabinet lining and the calrod heater tends to break between the insulation liner. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update...  If anyone wants to know...

The lower heating element in the oven was destroyed burnt into 3 pieces...  so using the multi-meter on the 2 ends of that I found it was bad and replaced that...

Also, the convection fan/motor was burnt out...  I didn't know how to check that, but just assumed since it slowed and stopped... 

So, I ordered that as well and replaced that...

Everything is fine now...  since the temperature sensor is in the top of the over and only the top heating element worked, it was registering hotter up there than at the bottom so it would think it was hot enough.  The convection fan not working just made it worse because at least when that was working the air was being circulated around during pre-heat...

Thanks for the information...

I found a handy troubleshooting/maintenance manual online for this oven...  

https://www.scribd.com/document/331752049/NE594R0ABSR-Samsung-Range-Service-Manual