Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GSI-26 Ice Maker bin STUCK in a Frigidaire FRS26R4CW6

Tani

The last week or so we have noticed water is leaking from our ice maker somewhere causing the ice in the center of the bin to become a solid chunk & immobilizing the spiral drive thing that pushes the ice forward. I tried to pull the bin forward/out to investigate, but it is stuck. I can lift the front of the bin, and wiggle it (violently), but it wont come out so I can see where the water is coming from. I even tried a hair dryer, and shouting like a lunatic "GIMME the damn ICE you STUPID ____.!" :angry:    Of course that didn't help. :blush:

Can someone Pretty Please tell me the secret knock, code word, or what on earth is keeping the bin stuck!?  

Of course then I still need to find the source of the drip, but I'd feel more confident with at least this much of the battle won.            

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tani

• Hiroshi

• johntech

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to thaw the ice bin out. You could turn the thing off, move your food, and leave the doors open for a few hours. You could use a steam gun to speed up the process. Pure determination is what will get that guy out not really any tricks. 

Thanks johntech,^

I used the my steam shooter and got it out, cleaned everything up and dried it all out. Then put it all back together again. I still cannot tell where the extra water is coming from, and it has not produced any ice since the reassembly last night :blush: However, being as it's nearly Turkey Day, and I will be cooking for, and hosting a bunch of family I'd better leave well enough alone for the time being. I'll buy a big bag of ice from Sonic & leave the ice maker investigation for Black Friday.

Usually, capillary action will be wicking water over the side of the ice mold and dripping into the bin, it results in the eventual stalagmite of ice... it is a gradual process that might not be obvious in the first few days...