Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological. 
      We have a special session planned for this one. Instead of the usual Show 'n Tell on a technical topic, we're going to post tech sheets in the comments to this Calendar Event (scroll down to see what's posted so far) and ask specific questions that can only be answered by reading the tech sheet. If you at least try to answer the questions beforehand, you'll get a lot more out of it. The tech sheet and the questions are posted in the comments section below.
      Your mission, if you should choose to accept it, is to check out the questions for each one and try to answer them ahead of time. Then come to the Dojo to see how well you did! 
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LG WT5101HW top load washer noise

testguyct

I searched this forum and did not find any posts with the exact same issue. I have an LG washer, model WT5101HW.  Any time the wash plate is spinning, (during the initial load sensing phase and during the wash part of the cycle) a grinding/groaning sound can be heard. It's pretty loud. I tried taking the washplate off, but it seems like it's stuck on the shaft. I have not yet taken the stator off to investigate further. Based on the symptom I described, does anyone know what the most likely cause is ?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• testguyct

• john63

• Hiroshi

• johntech

I would tip the unit back and inspect it from below for evidence of leakage...

If the plate will not come off, it suggests corrosion from liquid detergent has perhaps swollen the drive shaft or is otherwise affecting fitment.

It may simply be a coin jammed somewhere it should not be (dimes can fit in the oddest places), it might be keeping the plate from coming off and/or grinding between the plate and spin tub...

Inspect the ROTOR for a loose nut (24mm).

Is the washer noisy in spin?

If not---remove wash plate and investigate further for debris.

If wash plate is difficult to remove---use 2 hook shaped tools to pull out (anything). I keep a wash plate in stock in case of damage---never used it yet.

If noisy in spin---definitely check the "transmission" for leak evidence.

Thank you Hiroshi and john63 for the tips. The noise is not during the spin cycle when the tub is spinning, it only happens when the washplate is spinning. I tried for an hour to get that washplate off, but no luck. After removing the center screw I used 2 screwdrivers to try to pry it up, then the claw end of a hammer to try to lift it off at the center. I gave up. I also slid a hacksaw blade into the groove between the washplate and the tub around the entire circumference to see if there was anything caught there, but nothing. I inspected the underside of the washer also, but there was no evidence of any kind of leakage or damage. I do recall at one time a couple years ago there was a coin jammed in between the washplate and the tub, but I got that out. There could be any of a number of things that were able to get through that small gap. I guess I will either have to get more creative in getting that washplate off, or just wait until the wash breaks and replace it.

Normally the wash plate has teeth that line up with the shaft it sits on and turns the plate. It isn't uncommon to see the teeth stripped and making a grinding noise. The solution is to Pull the wash plate and inspect the teeth on the bottom side and replace the wash plate if they are damaged. If you can hold the wash plate still while it is agitating then you would know the teeth are stripped out. Part number: AGZ72909701

Part number: AGZ72909701