LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Accessing potentiometers on Thermador PCG304E/01 rangetop

bivind

I have two AP3782975 switches in hand for the x-low burners on a Thermador PCG304E/01 rangetop. I removed the star burners and stainless steel top but can't determine how to get to the switches behind the control knobs. It looks like everything inside is mostly a single piece for both sides/all burners, so would I have to remove the stainless steel front to get to them?

I don't see any way to get to the switches without removing the entire inside assembly unless there's an easier way.  I searched for a service manual or instructions for replacing the potentiometers but haven't found anything to this point.  Would rather correct myself since I have the parts ready to install.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bivind

• johntech

• 16345Ed

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai
7 hours ago, 16345Ed said:

pay subscription fee to this site.

This option is only available for professional servicers, not DIYers. So if @bivind is a DIYer, he is not eligible to purchase a Professional Appliantologist membership.

Yes you would need to remove the front panel. Sometimes the beauty rings around the knobs have to be removed.  If you go to a parts website like Searsparts or applianceparts pros, pull up that model and you should find an exploded view that may help.

On 12/12/2016 at 7:05 AM, johntech said:

Yes you would need to remove the front panel. Sometimes the beauty rings around the knobs have to be removed.  If you go to a parts website like Searsparts or applianceparts pros, pull up that model and you should find an exploded view that may help.

That's the issue - I have searched for a parts diagram many times and can't find one for this model.  No problem with other appliances that I own but the service manual or even diagram doesn't seem to be available.

Website parts.sears.com    Type in model pcg304 and you will see the parts break down. Since you are not a professional repair tech you do not have access to the service manual thru this site. Remove all the knobs ant then remove the chrome trim pieces, the panel should be able to be removed at that point. There may be screws on the bottom of the panel but I don't think there were any on the thermador cooktops I've worked on.

On 12/12/2016 at 7:05 AM, johntech said:

There may be screws on the bottom of the panel but I don't think there were any on the thermador cooktops I've worked on

Mine has screws and I don't see how to loosen them.  There is a very small rectangular opening where I can see the screw but not enough opening to get a screwdriver in there.  Even tried a bent one but the opening doesn't allow 90 degrees of access to turn the screw.  Is there some special tool to get in there or another way?  The front screws/rings came out ok but the front won't move - probably due to those bottom screws.

removing the front on this is a night mare...

remove the top to get access to back of valves.

turn off gas and remove flex line feeding rail in front.

remove screws holding rail on bottom.

pull rail back far enough to wiggle the pots off

if you need to set the simmer height turn off power or you will fry the control with the

screwdriver. 120 ac will arc from the pot to the valve.