Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Viking VUD141 Timer

Zonker

The timer in my Viking VUD141 appeared to have stopped working having the symptom of not moving past the initial drain cycle of the wash cycle.  I listened to the side of the dishwasher panel but did not hear that familiar ticking sound of the timer.  I assumed this meant that the timer motor had gone bad and searched on-line for a new one.  Unfortunately the Asko timer is no longer available, but I was able to find a new one on eBay.  After carefully removing the old timer and replacing the wires in the same locations on the new one, the dishwasher is exhibiting the same symptom described above.  

Can anyone advise me of another component that I might check that could be causing the time not to advance?  Maybe a fuse or something preventing power from getting to the timer motor?

Thanks,

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zonker

• Hiroshi

Make sure the float switch is moving freely... Other than that, make sure there is not water leaking into the pan beneath the unit, there is another float-type device under there that can "kill" the other functions.

I only see one float switch:  PD140011 MICRO-SWITCH - OVERFLOW (8060068) and when I move the float in the catch pan I hear clicking and it moves freely.

The only other "float switch" I can discern is the PD140014 LEVELING SWITCH.  Is this the one that I need to check?  Does not have any moving parts.  Advice on testing with multi-meter?

Thanks

Look for something akin to this one inside the dishwasher, the overflow switch underneath is an emergency safety- but there should be one like this that the machine will use to "know" it is full of water. If it is stuck, it may not fill because the switch is misleading the controls...

• 1 month later...

After replacing the inlet valve and pressure switch, the timer will still not advance on its own.  The difference now is that when I turn the dishwasher on and after the initial drain cycle the unit fills with hot water, then instead of advancing to the wash cycle, it begins to drain all the water out of the tub.  After it finishes draining, it starts to fill again (this repeats until I advance the timer knob).  When I manually advance the timer knob after it fills the tub, the circulation pump comes on and wash cycle begins.  But the timer once again will not advance.  Replacing the inlet valve and pressure switch definitely helped, but now I'm not sure what to test next.  There is water coming in, the float switch and pressure switches are functioning and all the pumps are working when manually advancing the cycle. 

If anyone has experience with these Viking/Asko Dishwashers, I could sure use some advice.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I'm going to post how I finally resolved the problem.  After some advice from the Viking Technical Support line, I had to track down why the Timing Motor on the Timer was not getting power (the rest of the timer worked as described above).  The technician told me it had to be either a hot or neutral failure and could possibly be the Combination Switch or the Heating element.  Having absolutely no previous understanding of a circuit diagram, I matched up the wire numbers on the dishwasher to the diagram.  After a few hours with a multimeter, I discovered a break in the line that went between the thermostat and the timer (hot).  Armed with a wire stripper and a crimp - I am back in business!  feels good for a first time DIY repair on a major appliance.

What is interesting and an eye opener for me is how a dishwasher is wired like Christmas tree bulbs.  When one goes out it breaks the chain, the others will not light.  With the break in the line from the thermostat, the Interior Light, Combination Door, Heating element and timing motor all did not work.  Once the wire was repaired they all work now.  Interesting.  Looking back, I did notice that the Interior light would sometimes fail to come on when I opened the door, but it was intermittent.  I guess that was a sign of a problem with the wiring.. live and learn.

I would change the title to solved, but not sure how to do that.

Anyway thanks for your help along the way