Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Miele KM3475G Single Burner Out

nszzya

I have a single burner that will not spark on a Miele KM3475G. The igniter, switch and connections between the spark module, switch and igniter are good. I can light the burner with a match. Thinking it is either the spark module or the circuit board. Not sure how to troubleshoot at this point. Any help appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nszzya

• Hiroshi

• stewartservice

When you hear the "click, click, click" of the spark emitter, is there a spark leaping to the burner base? If not, why would you assume the igniter/electrode is good?

The most common problem is a boil-over where liquid contacts the ceramic insulator around the electrode causing a crack... this allows the spark to arc to the wrong point before reaching the burner.

Since the other emitters click simultaneously, I'm not sure my hearing would be good enough to detect if it is clicking. My sense is that it is not. Does the clicking sound not result from the spark? Thanks for helping me troubleshoot BTW.

There is only one emitter. Is it "clicking" when you turn the burner switch of the non-working burner to LITE?

When you switched ignitors, did the other one that was working still work? If you hear clicking anywhere when the bad burner is turned on then the switch is probably good. If the other burner still worked when ignitors were swapped then suspect the spark module.

5 minutes ago, stewartservice said:

When you switched ignitors, did the other one that was working still work? If you hear clicking anywhere when the bad burner is turned on then the switch is probably good. If the other burner still worked when ignitors were swapped then suspect the spark module.

When I switched ignitors, the working ignitor did not work in the right rear burner position. The ignitor from the non-working right rear burner functioned in the left rear burner position. I hear clicking when the bad burner (or any other burner) is turned on. Could it be that the spark module is bad to just that single burner? Thanks for your help.

This cooktop has a re-ignition system, there has to be a completed loop back to the ignition module for it to work correctly... so the troubleshooting is different than for a simple spark emitter electrode set-up... 

You can establish this by lighting one of the working burners, then blowing the flames away from where they should engulf the electrode when lit... if the unit begins emitting a spark to re-ignite the burner when you do this, you know what animal you are dealing with...

Swapping only the electrode lead on this type of system will not work... have you lifted the top and gotten a look at the ignition module?

1 hour ago, Hiroshi said:

This cooktop has a re-ignition system, there has to be a completed loop back to the ignition module for it to work correctly... so the troubleshooting is different than for a simple spark emitter electrode set-up... 

You can establish this by lighting one of the working burners, then blowing the flames away from where they should engulf the electrode when lit... if the unit begins emitting a spark to re-ignite the burner when you do this, you know what animal you are dealing with...

Swapping only the electrode lead on this type of system will not work... have you lifted the top and gotten a look at the ignition module?

I have lifted the top and looked at the module. Nothing looked amiss to my untrained eye.

Looking at it is for the purpose of discerning whether you are dealing with a spark emitter or a re-ignition module

You get spark when the knob for the burner in question is turned on on other burners ? Yes. You get spark from the ignitor in question when it is switched to a different location in the spark module? Yes. The electronic unit in this unit is for gas re-ignition and to sense the flame is on thru the thermocouple to keep the gas flowing. The "transformer" (Miele name), aka spark module is for spark. I would replace the spark module. 

The wire from the spark module to the ignitor has a pinpoint opening in the insulation where it was run between two the bottom of the unit and the burner. Problem solved. Thanks for all the help!