Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Kenmore Elite / LG model 795.7205 Frig not cooling

jbradley0227

jbradley0227

I have a Kenmore French door / bottom freezer - Model 795.72053.110 that we purchased in June of 2011. This has a LG Linear Compressor.  We just came back from vacation and discovered the refrigerator was running but not cooling anymore.  Everything was defrosted.  We found out that while we were away the power had gone out for a few hours and then come back on. The compressor is running but only slightly warm. Condenser and Circulating fans are running.  Coils are not frozen and only get to about 40 degrees.  I unplugged the frig for 1/2 hour last night and then plugged it back in. It ran all night and this morning it was still warm.  The compressor is running constantly.  I tested the resistance of the compressor and it reads between 6.8 and 7.1 ohms (one of the posts reads open but I think that's normal on a linear compressor).  Is this a variable speed compressor? Could it be a circuit board problem due to the power outage or do you think this is an internal compressor or freon problem.  I've read that these linear compressors are not reliable.  According to my manual, the compressor is supposed to be under warranty for 10 years but NOBODY at Sears will verify that without me paying for technician to come out.  I'm also afraid that even if I replace the compressor the system may be contaminated if there was an internal failure in the compressor.  I watched a few videos of people tearing down these compressors and they seem to find that an internal valve goes bad and leaves behind a lot of metal shavings.  I don't want to waste any money on this frig if it's not worth fixing.  Thank you for any help.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbradley0227

• Brian in Arizona

• john63

• Hiroshi

Your manual is all the proof you need, call them and inform them their product has failed within the warranty period, have the model and serial number ready. Estimate the cost of the food you lost and begin squawking until the fools replace or repair your machine... If it is a warranty failure, you should not be charged a service call, but remember this and be sure to tell everyone how amazingly bad Sears is...

Wait until you know what is wrong before jumping the gun...

jbradley0227

I was transferred to multiple departments when I called Sears.  Everybody said I had to talk to someone else to verify the warranty.  Then I was told I should go onto their website and chat with a rep.  One great feature of their chat is that you can print and email the transcript to yourself.  Read the transcript below for a good laugh.

Mark Johnson (21:07:56 GMT) : Is this in reference to “ Kenmore Elite refrigerator ” purchased on 06/16/2011?
Visitor (21:08:37 GMT) : Yes
Mark Johnson (21:09:22 GMT) : Unfortunately, I see that your refrigerator is not covered under any warranty.
Mark Johnson (21:10:39 GMT) : Let me explain you the service charges.
Visitor (21:11:00 GMT) : It says in my owners manual "For ten years from the date of purchase, a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge. "
Mark Johnson (21:12:56 GMT) : The warranty which you are referring to is parts warranty, which only a field technician can determine and confirm if that particular part is covered or not.
Visitor (21:15:47 GMT) : I just want to verify that if it is in fact the compressor it will be "repaired free of charge" (including labor) just as it says in my manual. if it's not the compressor I understand I will need to pay.
Mark Johnson (21:17:07 GMT) : I am sorry without diagnosing the refrigerator we can assure you the issue is due to compressor or not.
Mark Johnson (21:17:41 GMT) : *cannot
Visitor (21:18:09 GMT) : I understand that. But I want someone to verify that if it is the compressor I will not have to pay for the repair.
Mark Johnson (21:20:52 GMT) : I am sorry our technician is the write person to help you with this information.
Mark Johnson (21:21:22 GMT) : Let me explain you the service charges.
Visitor (21:21:53 GMT) : Will I be able to confirm this with him before he comes out to my house?
Mark Johnson (21:23:36 GMT) : I am sorry our technician will only be able to confirm after diagnosing refrigerator, for which he will visit your home.
Visitor (21:24:59 GMT) : Why can't I find out what the warranty of the compressor is before someone comes out to my house?
Mark Johnson (21:25:58 GMT) : I am sorry our technician is the write person to check on the parts warranty.
Visitor (21:26:40 GMT) : This is ridiculous!

You'll need to pay a diagnostics fee to have an authorized Sears servicer confirm what the fault is.

If the compressor has failed...

The labor to install it will run anywhere from $500 to $600.

The compressor is "free".

TM
REFRIGERATOR WARRANTY
f
Kenmore Elite Limited Warranty
When this appliance isinstalled, operated and maintained according to all supplied instructions, the following warranty coverage applies. To arrange for warranty service, call 1-800-4-MY-HOME® (1-800-469-4663).
* For one year from the date of purchase, free repair will be provided if any non=consumable part of this appliance fails due to defective materials or workmanship. This coverage applies for only 90 days from the purchase date if this product is ever used for other than private household purposes.
For five years from the date of purchase, a defective sealed refrigerant system will be repaired free of charge. This coverage applies for only one year from the date of purchase if this appliance is ever used for other than private household purposes.
For ten years from the date of purchase, a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge. This coverage applies for only two years from the date of purchase if this appliance is ever used for other than private household purposes.
This warranty covers only defects in materlal and workmanship, and wlll NOT pay for:
1.Consumable parts that can wear out from normal use, including but not limited to filters, belts, light bulbs, and bags.
2. A service technician to instruct the user in correct product installation, operation or maintenance.
3. A service technician to clean or maintain this product.
4. Damage to or failure of this product if it is not installed, operated or maintained according to the all instructions supplied with the product.
5. Damage to or failure of this product resulting from accident, abuse, misuse or use for other than its intended purpose.
6. Damage to or failure of this product caused by the use of detergents, cleaners, chemicals or utensils other than those recommended in all instructions supplied with the product.
Z Damage to or failure of parts or systems resulting from unauthorized modifications made to this product.
Discialmer of impiled warranties; llmlfatian of remedies
Customer's sole and exclusive remedy under this limited warranty shall be product repair as provided herein. Implied warranties, including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, are limited to one year or the shortest period allowed by law. Sears shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages. Some states and provinces do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or limitation on the duration of implied warranties of merchantability or fitness, so these exclusions or limitations may not apply to you.
This warranty applies only while this appliance is used in the United States or Canada. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
Sears Brands Management Corporation, Hoffman Estates, IL 60179 Sears Canada inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada MSB 2C

jbradley0227

Thank you for everyone's input.  I have a service call scheduled for tomorrow morning.  I'll let you know how it goes.

jbradley0227

So I contacted Sears and, after a lot of effort, I finally got them to verify that the compressor is covered under the factory 10 year warranty.    The tech came out, verified the compressor was bad and replaced it free of charge.  He told me he replaces these compressors all the time and keeps three of them on his truck all the time.  He was great!  Much better than the Sears customer service reps.  The frig is cooling great now.  Thanks for everyone's help.

• 1 year later...

Hi jbradley227!

I have the same fridge, purchased about the same time as you. I have the same problem you had with the compressor. I was told to buy a new fridge by a non-Sears appliance repair as Sears could not come out to my home for 2 weeks! After reading your post here, I called Sears and they are saying I need to pay the diagnostic fee of $99 and the labor to replace the free compressor of $550. When you said they replaced yours free of charge, did you have to pay those fees? If not, how should I fight for no charge?

Thank you in advance for your response.

CYazdani

CYazdani,

You need to schedule a Sears service call and have them diagnose that the problem is the compressor.  Once he does, just show him that is says in your owners manual that the compressor will be replaced “Free of charge”.  They tried to get me to pay for the labor but I held my ground and insisted that it be replace “free of charge”.  Make sure you have your owners manual.  

Joe

Jbradley227,

Thank you for your response. I tried talking to Sears customer service about the wording of the warranty. No where in the warranty does it state that labor would not be covered. I have an appointment for 9/15. I have my owner's manual. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for posting and responding!

CYazdani

• 4 months later...

I have the same refrigerator purchased in December 2011. 

CYazdani, could you please reply on your experience with the sears tech.

Thanks, Woody2

4 hours ago, Woody2 said:

I have the same refrigerator purchased in December 2011. 

CYazdani, could you please reply on your experience with the sears tech.

Thanks, Woody2

It’s a 5 year warranty yours is long past...

Thanks for the reply 16345ed.

My owners manual says the same thing as above in abaesemann’s reply “For ten years from the date of purchase, a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge.“10 year Warranty on compressor “ 

Where are you getting your info from?

9 hours ago, Woody2 said:

Thanks for the reply 16345ed.

My owners manual says the same thing as above in abaesemann’s reply “For ten years from the date of purchase, a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge.“10 year Warranty on compressor “ 

Where are you getting your info from?

Nice go after them then! The ones I’ve seen were only 5 years. Good luck. 

• 1 month later...

This past Thursday, 7 March, my Kenmore refrigerator decided to quit. Same model as original poster. I bought it on 7 March 2012, so it is 7 years old today. I called sears and got the same run-around as above. Same symptoms, everything the same as OP. The Sears rep was clueless and sounded like a unintelligible robot, wonder what country she was in. Just kept repeating same thing over and over with no straight answer. Finally, I gave up, hung up, and was ready to buy a new unit , American made this Time. I actually went on the Lowe’s website and ordered a new refrigerator. 

Upset that a $3000 appliance was now junk, I went online to see if others had any problems with this particular brand. I happened on this page and a light came on!  I called Sears at 8 o’clock last evening to set up an appointment, and amazingly they had one available for this morning.

The tech showed up on time and quickly diagnosed the problem as the compressor. Initially, his system would not warranty the labor but after a call that was cleared up. The tech had the compressor on his truck and replaced it on the spot, he was only here for just over 2 hours. All I had to do was sign my name and gave him a good tip for lunch.  I feel like I owe the OP a tip, 

Great tech, don’t know if I should share his name on a forum.  If you’re in central Arkansas and need Sears warranty work, give me an email.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian in Arizona

I'm on the phone with Sears Escalation ... 800-479-5899 Option #6 & I have a Kenmore Elite purchased in May 2014 .. My manual clearly states that a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge (for 10 years). The word 'repaired' implies labor. I will post an update as soon as I have an update. The battle begins!

Brian in Arizona

The Sears Technician just left my home. It is indeed a bad compressor. He said it is a good thing I kept my Manual because without the Manual in hand, I would have paid a lot of labor. I do have to pay $20 for a part that connects the New Compressor to the Refrigerator when they return with the New Compressor, but no labor! If everything goes smoothly I will not post an update. Anyone who is reading this, I hope I helped you out with your situation & you should also post your story. All of us posting our experience & knowledge will help everyone in some way shape or form. Good Luck to the rest of you! Find your Manual or download & print out a PDF of your Manual (if you can find one).

Evan in Idaho

Same fridge, same problem. I purchased the fridge in 2015. I called customer service and was told that one of there service tech's would need to verify the problem before it could be fixed. I was then told they do not have any service tech's in my area. When I asked what my options were to get it repaired under the warranty I was not given an answer. I was told that they would call me back within 24 hours with a solution. I never received a call. I have called them back and even chatted on the web site and have not gotten anywhere. Getting pretty frustrated with Sears

Should I keep trying or just throw in the towel and go buy another fridge 

• 2 weeks later...
Brian in Arizona

Hey everybody, just another update. My total repair bill was $35.24 (no labor ... no diagnostic fee). The $35.24 was for the Service Valve & Filter Dryer & Tax. Evan, in your case you are probably better off going out & buying a new fridge (by now you probably already have done so). Do not buy another Kenmore or LG or even Samsung. Stick with a major brand name that has a good record. Samsung & LG should have stayed in the TV & Monitor market & not refrigerators! However, I would stick your old fridge in another room if you have room for it & keep pestering Sears. If they do eventually come, it has to be plugged in at least 4 hours prior to the technician's arrival or they will reschedule. Best of luck & to anyone else who has read my posts, I hope my information has been helpful. I hope to get another 5 years out of my refrigerator with this replacement compressor. When it dies someday, that will be the last Kenmore appliance I ever buy. I had a positive experience with Sears perhaps because I live near Phoenix & there are plenty of Sears Service Technicians in my Area.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an LG LFX25991st/02 refrigerator purchased in May 2013 (purchased at Lowes) and the whole unit stopped cooling yesterday. I was told by an [LG certified] appliance repair company that it was the compressor and that the part would be covered under the 10 year warranty, however they were unsure if the labor (about $375) would be covered by LG. (Apparently about 50% have the part AND labor covered they said. But, they weren't sure what the reason was why some people were able to get BOTH the part and labor covered and some only just the part.) They said I have to call LG to report the problem and get an APN # from them first before they order the new compressor. And, hopefully I could talk LG into covering the part AND labor cost. I looked in my manual and it says under page 55 Warranty section, "Linear Compressor - Ten (10) years from the date of original retail purchase - Part only (Consumer will be charged for labor)." Obviously, this doesn't sound very good as far as getting labor covered too; however, the repair shop mentioned there are a bunch of class action lawsuits filed against LG right now so they may possibly more willing to bend? 

I'm not sure why the compressor warranty section of the manual would be much different since they are both LG compressors, but maybe it is only the Kenmore version of this refrigerator that says, "For ten years from the date of purchase, a defective compressor will be repaired free of charge" as referenced in some of the posts above?

I know some of the refrigerators mentioned above were purchased at Sears, but wasn't sure if anyone had any luck or suggestions on getting LG to cover the part AND labor to replace the compressor. 

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem mentioned in this post!

Im so glad I came across this information as I was just about to pay $600 to have the compressor replaced!

I located my owners manual and called Sears back they are going to replace for free!  

They would not budge on the $99 service call but I'm ok with that!

Thanks for all the info

• 2 months later...

I have this model that we purchased in June 2013,  and it quit freezing and making ice cubes.  The wait on the Sears Repair line was so long that I gave up and went to the chat online option.  They just kept telling me it was not under warranty anymore.  I insisted that the linear compressor had a 10 year warranty, and he told me that the labor was not included- which is what my manual says.  How did you all get them to repair it without paying the labor cost?  

It was not the compressor, it was both coils leaking.  Refrigerator and freezer.  The very nice technician was going to go ahead and replace the compressor while he was in there.  He  said it would take 5-7 to get the parts in and then reschedule the actual repair.  All this to the tune of $800.  Decided to ditch that appliance.  Bought a KitchenAid today.