Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Profile PSS26PSTA cooling issue

msst8dawgs

I have watched a ton of videos and read lots of blog posts and still have not been able to solve a cooling problem with my GE Profile. I have used three different repair guys and had no luck so far. It is a very long story. The beginning was ice melting in the freezer so we just quit using ice. Eventually over time the temperature in both sections would run 10- 15 degrees higher than 0 and 37. The two thermistors that are easily accessible are both registering correct ohms. I have the evaporator cover off the fresh food side and the fan is running. I replaced the main board because the last repair guy told me that was my problem.  Still no good.  The freezer got to about 8 degrees and fridge got to about 48 after 24 hours.  The only thing I can come up with now is maybe the thermistor(s) at the condenser coils are bad.  Please help!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• msst8dawgs

• lvasquez11

• 16345Ed

• vee8power

Top Posters In This Topic

I replace all thermistors on these guys. 

There  are none on condenser I think you meant evaporators. 

Do do all three fans run? 3 evap fans (one in fridge and one in freezer and one in back on bottom is condenser fan.   Let's verify all these are running first. 

Next is the compressor running? (I assume so since you report some cooling)

Edited by 16345Ed

Yes evaporators....sorry.  After posting this I tested EVERYTHING.  I put every thermistor in a cup of ice water and read ohms at the mother board.  FZ was 14.92, FZ evap was 14.45, FF was 15.35, and FF evap was 15.45.  All three fans were running and reading good.  I pulled the thermostat, which looked good, to check continuity on it.  I submerged it in ice water and checked continuity on it.  It would only register .01 after sitting in the ice water for 5 minutes.  I am assuming thermostat is the problem?

The thermostat is supposed to be closed until it reaches 140 degrees; it's just a safety device. I recommend, like Ed does, replacing all the sensors whether they're in a cooling compartment or clipped to the evaporator.

Here is the link to the part you need with a video. One exception to the video I see is when you connect the wires together. GE recommends: 1. strip the wires. 2. twist the bare ends together. 3. insert the splice into a bell connector filled with dielectric grease and crimp the bell connector.

Part number: AP3185407

Part number: AP3185407 

Frost pattern of evaporators. Provide pics of each one. 

Fresh food evaporator would be more likely to be the leaker.

Part number: WR85X10069

I would start with both evaporator sensors. But be ready for worst case 

All sensors read fine.  Only concern is that two of them show a reading when first contacted with probe but then show 0. 

17 minutes ago, lvasquez11 said:

Frost pattern of evaporators. Provide pics of each one. 

Fresh food evaporator would be more likely to be the leaker.

I would start with both evaporator sensors. But be ready for worst case 

If the evaporator was leaking, wouldn't I be low on Freon?

That is correct. A very small leak would take time to effect cooling. 

Frist issue would be with soft ice cream. Some frozen veggies going soft. 

Do you recall frost patterns of evaporators

I do not.  The issue really never was the freezer.  It was the fridge.  One repair guy added freon.  The next said there was way too much in it and emptied system and re-charged it.  Put new board in and hooked it up.  24 hours later fridge was about 48 and freezer was about 10. 

A over charge of an 1 oz or less will not be noticed unless suction line freezing up. With a low charge unit will never reach 0 n 38.

Do hear unit running longer 

What method was used to access seal system. Bullet valve or valve braced on to process stub. 

Check frost pattern n take pics n post. 

Replace fresh food sensor on evaporator. 

Like most service guys. Sensors are the first things to replace cheap n easy to get to. 

Takes longer to ohm out then replace. 

Frost pattern looks good on coil. Looks like frost all the way on suction tube/heat exchanger.

10 hours ago, msst8dawgs said:

https://i.imgsafe.org/2735ce378b.jpg fresh food sensor on evap tested good.  I dont have pic of the fresh food coils

Have you tested sensor for voltage? A sensor can test fine for resistance but fail under load. 

Typical voltage drop is between 1 to 4 dc volts. A thermistor voltage drop of 0vdc indicates a shorted thermistor, 5vdc would indicate an open thermistor. Any voltages below 1vdc or above 4vdc could indicate a suspect thermistor, follow up with a direct test of the thermistor.

Edited by 16345Ed