LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Frigidaire front load GLTF1040ASO - door wont close

appleimac

My washer door wont latch, the lock is engaged - I am currently trying unplugging for 30 min as one person mentioned on another site - once before I replaced door latch for this problem, no difference - appliance repairman "tweaked" door to cause it to latch - this is an older washer, 2003

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johntech

• appleimac

• Budget Appliance Repair

• 16345Ed

Unplug unit  

Remove bottom front panel screws on bottom of panel. 

Reach up where door switch is feel for tab or ring and pull down on it. It should release the lock. 

Good luck!

Couldn't find ring or tab, but removed door switch. If door switch is removed, it will "latch" unto door strike - or if door switch is installed in machine and I remove the door strike, it will "latch" onto the door switch just fine.  However, with both installed the door switch will not accept the door strike and allow washer door to latch closed - ? Have tried to "tweak" washer door to see if it makes a difference, and if I can get it to latch, and so far I can't -

Something has to be bent out of alignment. Frigidaire washers have door sagging problems and a kit which consists of washers to install on hinge. If shut while door is not aligned properly it can bend stuff. I normally just play with the door and use visual inspection to determine what is bent. Also possible the strike itself is broken. Part number: 137309800

Part number: 137309800

Any washer of the correct size will work but you may need several depending how much the door is sagging.

Couldn't find ring or tab, but removed door switch. If door switch is removed, it will "latch" unto door strike - or if door switch is installed in machine and I remove the door strike, it will "latch" onto the door switch just fine.  However, with both installed the door switch will not accept the door strike and allow washer door to latch closed - ? Have tried to "tweak" washer door to see if it makes a difference, and if I can get it to latch, and so far I can't -

Don't see problem with door strike, and it does go into the latch if either strike or latch is off the door - how would I properly align the door again, and where do these washers go? It seems to me this "sagging door" problem is probably largely because we are told to leave the door open because of mold prevention - would a new replacement hinge be any beefier to prevent this from happening?

They have a substitution hinge but I do not know if it will be any better or even different then the one you have. I normally only replace the hinge if it is bent. The washers go on the hinge to raise it up. If you buy the kit you will get instructions. If both the strike and catch will not line up at the same time then something is bent. Finding what can be difficult Especially if you do not work on them everyday to know how they look when they are working. Very possible the hinge is bent, they typically bend because people lean on them when getting stuff in or out of the washer or people hang stuff on the door.   .Part number: 134264600

Part number: 134264600

This is NOT the style that uses the washer to raise the sagging door.

If the door strike doesn't line up with the latch/lock assembly you should be able to lift door as you close it and it should work if things aren't bent out of alignment to badly.

Make sure all the door hinge mounting screws are tight and none are wallowed out.

I make slight hinge adjustment tweaks on these by using a little utility hammer that has a straight nail puller on one end, sticking the v-slot of the nail puller on the bottom side of the exposed section of hinge between door and washer body and slightly twisting it in the direction that will move door strike up slightly.

You don't want to try and tweak it by twisting on the door itself or you risk cracking door parts and mounting points of door to hinge.

Your right, I didn't even look at the picture of the hinge i linked. Sorry for the confusion.