Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Strange Washing machine Issue - Bad board?

Humbucker427

I have a Maytag MAVT546EWW top loader washer that will not go into "Neutral Drain" mode.  Everything works fine until it's time to spin.  It just pauses for a couple minutes and will not pump the water out of the tub.  After agitation, I can hear a constant faint ticking sound coming from the timer, but no water is being drained.  After a couple minutes, it starts to spin up and will only drain via centrifugal force, but this has to be hard on the motor and components.  

Background:  A few days ago the washer broke and would not spin or agitate. I replaced the thrust bearing with a kit and it worked fine, or so I thought.  We washed a few loads, no problem.  Then, my wife was washing a load of towels and a lot water came out onto the floor.  We weren't watching it, so we don't know when, but I suspect it happened when it was in the spin cycle because the water wasn't drained beforehand. My suspicion is the original problem was a malfunctioning timer or board that causes the drain cycle to not work.  This extra strain on the thrust bearing broke it and now that I replaced it it could happened again any time we wash a large load (we've been keeping them very small the last two days).

Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Humbucker427

• Hiroshi

• sh2sh2

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The timer nor transmission have anything to do with the operation of the drain pump n this model, I would spin the pump pulley by hand and see if there is any binding, but this machine should begin draining right when the motor rotates in the spin direction...

Thank you both so much!  I googled this model so many times over the weekend and could find nothing to indicate if it had a neutral drain or not.

I will certainly check the pump.  Strange that this just started happening immediately after I changed the broken thrust bearing.  I did check everything as the directions indicated and made sure the right spacer washer was installed. 

I'll take the pulley off and see how it feels when I rotate the pump and check back in here.  

Thanks again!