Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

LE Error on LG WT1201CV Top Load Washer (And I don't think it's the hall sensor)

BenPog

Hi Everyone,

I've got a bit of a weird one here. I have an LG WT1201CV top load washer. Last summer, we started getting an "LE" error on every second load. I looked up some info and I replaced the hall sensor. Things seemed to get better for a while, with only the occasional LE error. When the error would initially happen, it was usually before the high speed spin at the end of the cycle.

A couple days ago, I can't run the thing at all. I get LE during the load sensing stage, right before the machine should start filling and spinning the tub. 

Here's what I have tried:

-Went into diagnostic mode. Everything seems to work fine up until the high speed spin setting, then it reverts to "LE." 
-The tub seems to spin freely on its own by hand. Doesn't make a noise and doesn't feel stuck or seized
-The hall sensor passes the Ohms test (I get resistance on terminals 1 to 5 and 2 to 5)
-The hall sensor is putting out 10 VDC, cycling on and off as you turn the tub (like its supposed to, I think). Should it go right to zero?
-The board seems to be supplying 15 DCV to the hall sensor, so I think the board is doing its job
-I inspected the rotor and there are no broken or cracked magnets
-The stator reads resistance across all terminals

What the heck is going on?!

I repaired restaurant equipment for 5 years, so I have some working knowledge of appliances and how to troubleshoot, but this is stumping me! All the individual components seem fine but I still can't run the darn thing. I kinda want to say it's the board, but I don't want to spend the money on being wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BenPog

• john63

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the Serial Number?

Press the POWER and SPECIAL USE buttons at the same moment to activate Test Mode.

When the lid locks--- press the START button once.

What is the software version displayed?

Old software version would be an 8 or 9.

Revised software is 11,12 or 13.

Serial Number is: 404PNWK6G593 I believe

I will check software version later, as I'm at work right now. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Built April 2014.

Forget the software version...too new and not an issue.

I am inclined to agree...Main Board failing under load.

ROTOR and STATOR on these newer models do not have a history of problems.

Wish I could offer more concrete diagnostics...

1 hour ago, john63 said:

Built April 2014.

Forget the software version...too new and not an issue.

I am inclined to agree...Main Board failing under load.

ROTOR and STATOR on these newer models do not have a history of problems.

Wish I could offer more concrete diagnostics...

I appreciate the second opinion! Thank you! Are there any diagnostics I haven't done that could determine it? I guess the board could be faulty and still give the correct voltage to the hall sensor. I'll just order one and see. Never a good time to lose a washer with two young kids!

The Hall Sensor gives feedback to the Main Board...weight in tub...direction of rotation...rpm...and allow lid to unlock when tub movement stops completely.

I suspect that problem will be on the power-to-motor side of the circuit (plug on the Stator).

LG does not yet detail a test procedure for load testing...yet.

Training instructors have recently mentioned that a scan type tool is forthcoming in less than 5 years. Can't wait.

Ok cool. So for now I'll just replace the board and see what happens, I guess. This is the electronic control board, not the display board, correct? Thanks a lot for your help, John. I really appreciate the expertise