Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE Refrigerator Model # GSHL6KGZDCLS

Sweetbrandigirl2004

Sweetbrandigirl2004

I'm having trouble with my Icemaker it seem to fuction fine with the exception of it doesn't drop ice from the door. It make plenty of ice, the motor is running when you hold the glass under the door. but it doesn't drop ice. The control panel works fine selecting cubed or crushed or water the control panel works fine. I just don't known why it doesn't drop ice it sounds like it's trying to and you can hear this whining noise of the motor going round and round but no ice and the bucket if full. 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sweetbrandigirl2004

• johntech

• 16345Ed

Sweetbrandigirl2004

LOL that would be too easy. Its not the chute. This is exactly what mines doing makes the same noiseas in this video.

I've disassembled mine and I don't see any damage to the plastic nut however the auger shaft is loose in the tray and wobbles is that normal ?

Does the auger in the ice bin work when you turn it by hand. If not the the problem is with the bin and you should be able to visually see something broken. If the ice bin is fine then the coupling on the end of the motor may be stripped out and just spinning around but not turning the auger.

Sweetbrandigirl2004

OH Wait I known what you mean. The U shaped piece of medal in the back of the freezer. Yeah I thurned that it only turns one way and has resistance to it when you turn it so it doesn't feel stripped out how ever I can't tell if its turning when you activate it I do known the motor is running because you can hear it.

What I would do is tape the door switch, and look up into the blades of the ice bin as I press the paddle for ice. If the auger is turning then the coupling is prob. Ok. I would the put a couple handfuls of ice in the bin and watch it as I press the paddle again. I would really inspect the ice bin assembly for damage. Not uncommon for ice to stick together and break parts of the auger.

Sweetbrandigirl2004

Ok in a attempt to see whats moving and whats not with the door closed I put my iPhone in the freezer with a flashlight and was ab;e to see the U shaped coupling turning with NO Ice bucket in the freezer ! I then inserted the Ice bucket / Auger assembly and flimed again this time NOTHING NO movement of the auger assembly at all. So I'm open to ideas if anyones got any. 

Thanks Brandi

Inspect the ice bin where the coupling inserts onto the auger for damage. Pretend your hand is the coupling and turn the auger again. If no damage then try removing the ice bin and hold the coupling while pressing the paddle you will need to tape or hold the door switch. If you are able to hold the coupling still and the motor keeps turning then you will need to replace the coupling and possibly the motor. When I run into stripped out couplings I normally cannot remove them from the motor and have to cut them off. Damage to the ice bin I way more common then a stripped out coupling.

Sweetbrandigirl2004

OK John Yes I can hold the U shaped Coupling still while the motor runnings and as soon as I let go of it the coupling turns. Does that mean I need a whole new motor ? If so thats sucks this frig is barely three yrs old. Is that a hard or expensive job and where would I get the parts do you have a link ?

Sweetbrandigirl2004

John thanks for the information but if I may ask how will replacing JUST the U shaped coupling help me ? Upon inspection it doesn't appear damaged and if firmly attached to the motor shaft ? Can you explain to me how it works is there some type of resistance bearing in the coupling ?

Think of the coupling as a nut and the motor shaft as a bolt. One of them Has damaged threads,  when the nut or coupling is tightened all the way it should bottom out on the shaft and be secure. I have not been able to visually detect any damage in theses situations nor have I ever been able to remove the coupling because they just spin around and around. If I could get the coupling off I would try to replace the coupling first because the motor is expensive but I would have a motor with me suspecting that it may not work.

Sweetbrandigirl2004

OK Thank john I was able to remove the coupling from the motor shaft and I think I'll order both parts just to be safe. I'll keep you updated on how I get along once the parts arrive.

Brandi

Sweetbrandigirl2004

OK John I received the parts today which is really fast since I just ordered them Friday. Anyway reinstalled New Auger Motor and New Coupling......and we have a success ICE coming from the door. I want to thank you for your help you should definitely get Kendo point for your help.

Brandi