Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidaire DishWasher

John in the OC

John in the OC

Howdy once again Boyz and Gurls

Today we have Frigidaire Dishwasher Model# PLD2855RFC3 That is acting up

The problems is when we close it will flash "PF" and the machine wont run

However if I push the cancel button and then push one of the wash selections it WILL START the wash cycle

Sometimes it will stay on and other times in the middle of the wash it will just stop and the panel goes "Black" or it will flash "PF"

The darn thing was really hard to close and my wife wasn't gentle with it when closing

Sometimes when I pull straight up from the handle while the door is closed and the machine is bolted in place and the panel is "black" It lights up with the "PF" flashing.

My observations at random times during the was when it shuts down is, while washing and something touches the door it will flash "PF"

Again I can get it to work by repeating to close it until it flashes "PF" then I hit cancel and select the washing cycle I wish

Sometimes it will finish the cycle sometimes it wont Sometimes when it stops it flashes "PF" and other times it does not.

Any kind of assistance is welcome 

Thanks again 

Sincerely

John

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John in the OC

• john63

• Hiroshi

• johntech

Pf = power failure. Check all the wiring including the supply wireing and wireing to the board. May need new board if it is getting power when it pops up with the pf.

I would take a hard look at the door latch... if slamming the door seems to help get it to cycle- the door latch is before the control on the L1 power feed.

John in the OC

Yeah the latch seems to be a big part of it, The PF goes off and on when closing the thing. It just depends on how the latch sets when it closes...but what do I know thats why I am here

John in the OC

Groovy!

I really appreciate it!

Looks pretty straight forward. If I can replace the motor on a Frigidaire Ice Crushing motor This should be a cake walk

Thanks again!

John 

John in the OC

Howdy!

I installed to a new latch! Seemed to work for almost a complete wash and then it started Flashing PF again...dang...

So do you think it could be the boards? 

The thing closes a whole lot better now so she might be worth saving if the boards are not to expensive.

What do you guys think? 

It ever sounded fixed...

John

Have you checked the wiring in the terminal box?

Not sure this will help but...

Back in the day when we were an authorized Frigidaire servicer...there was a customer with a new dishwasher (about 2002) with a complaint of "runs then stops" (control panel went dead).

The cycle could be selected again (control panel woke up)...but the cycle ended within a few seconds each time this was done.

The ground/earth wire was not connected at all.

After installing a wire nut on the ground wire...dishwasher remained on through the cycle.

Edited by john63

cracked solder connections on main board where multi pin plug goes in

solder the pins or change the board and your issue should be fixed

Edited by leamy

John in the OC
11 hours ago, john63 said:

Have you checked the wiring in the terminal box?

Not sure this will help but...

Back in the day when we were an authorized Frigidaire servicer...there was a customer with a new dishwasher (about 2002) with a complaint of "runs then stops" (control panel went dead).

The cycle could be selected again (control panel woke up)...but the cycle ended within a few seconds each time this was done.

The ground/earth wire was not connected at all.

After installing a wire nut on the ground wire...dishwasher remained on through the cycle.

Howdy!

I installed to a new latch! Seemed to work for almost a complete wash and then it started Flashing PF again...dang...

So do you think it could be the boards? 

The thing closes a whole lot better now so she might be worth saving if the boards are not to expensive.

What do you guys think? 

It ever sounded fixed...

John

John in the OC

Howdy

I didn't open the board compartment, so I don't know if things are snapped or broken 

The wires are all good! 

I found a spot that has that board for 60bux I am gonna try it...

Everything is wired up correctly No grounds dangling or not secured

John

I think johntech and leamy are onto something...it would be a good idea to visually examine the Main Board for damage...

John in the OC

A giant capacitor is loose on the board...I didn't notice it before...I am really good at taking this thing apart at this point.

Sorry me no touchy capacitors .....I will wait for the board. Hardly works now

The capacitors on circuit boards of this nature are no worry touching them, unlike capacitors in microwaves or TV's.

If the lead/s on the solder side of board are just broken loose, get a solder iron and solder and redo the connection - most likely it will be all OK.   You really can't hurt it anymore and if it doesn't work, just replace the board.

when the cap wiggles the dc voltage drops and the board

ether reboots or dies.

Edited by leamy

John in the OC

Ehhh...Back in the day....early 90's I was working on an old PC ISA board.

Loose capacitor on the bottom of the motherboard So I tried to fix it, That thing fired off like a bullet and ricochet around the office like a bullet in a barrel.

It scared the sweet mother pearl out of me..

I retired my soldering iron after that.

I should get the part by Tuesday..

John in the OC

Well sure enough the motherboard was the culprit. Thanks again for helping me out with my appliance problems.

It closes better than it did when it was brand new now!

Something to be said about having a pro install these things. The little tweaks and tricks can save the customer big dough if you are not handy

These things are kind of fun to work on! Seem like there might be some money in this some where.

Pretty stoked about this one!

Thanks again

Sincerely

John