Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE GNE29GGKWW Refigerator:Question about freezer frost in brand new fridge.

soulweeper

Tell the servicer that...you'd feel a lot better having any and all updates performed.

Its an improvement/modification.

It would be a waste of everyone's time...to disassemble components for visual inspections.

Service Bulletins are published to help address problems that are a known quantity in specific model appliances...built during a specific timeframe.

Typically...models built *after* the affected build dates...will have the updates/improvements/corrections.

Makes sense to me. Since my model is on the bulletin, it seems it almost has to be affected, unless, like you said, it was built during the timeframe where the improved part(s) were being installed.

Do you agree with this guy that I'd have moisture near the top vent, if it had this issue, and that it couldn't only be on the fan itself? Seems like the bulletin would say to check for moisture where he's talking about.

@john63

Idiot came today, and installed the moisture kit, which is essentially the duct tower with fan attached. He cracked the evaporator cover when pulling the old duct tower out. It drops down into a square "hole" in the top of the evaporator cover, but it's sealed with a gasket of some sort. He said it was two sided tape, and they "don't make them for disassembly", and that's why it was tough. He pryed it back and forth, and pulled it up out of there, and cracked the cover. Half a dozen more screws, and the cover would have been out of the way. I realized that after he cracked the cover. I'm not the repair guy, so it's on him. He followed the instructions in the box, with the moisture kit (WR49X26666), so I'm sure hoping it didn't say to take that cover off, and he took a shortcut. Not sure if you're able to get those instructions, but I'd sure like to see them. This is like a bad movie that will never end. I hate to say it, but I had a feeling it would not be uneventful. The fan is quieter, which is good.

Funny....he tried to tell me the other day, that the only reason to replace the evaporator fan with this kit, is if there is moisture, and he checked where the vent opens to the fresh food compartment, and there wasn't any. Funny....there was this morning before he came, on the top of the fresh food compartment, right by the vent. And the bulletin clearly says to replace it if there is moisture on or around the fan blades, so you'd never know unless you looked at the fan. First thing I looked at when he pulled the old fan out. Moisture all around the fan.

I'm just fed up with the stupid people that they send to my house. Two LG fridges, couldn't figure out what was wrong, took out the tree in front of my house, because the guy they sent, can't look where he's driving, and now I have one part replaced, and another broken.

1 hour ago, john63 said:

Reminds me of the movie: "Groundhog Day".

Exactly. It's beyond belief now. And the store owner tried to lay the guilt trip on me yesterday, and said he made $200 on the fridge, and has $2,000 in damage to his truck. I didn't drive into the tree, his driver did,.

Actually...I was wrong.

In the movie...Bill Murray kept improving himself each day he awoke.

In your case...it kept getting worst.

I wish you the best:)

John

Thanks. He even offered to buy the fridge back, so we could start over. I guess because his people keep costing him more money.

You can't get your hands on the instruction sheet for that moisture kit, can you? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Just now, john63 said:

No. I have no access to GE technical bulletins.

Hopefully someone else reading this thread does...

Not the technical bulletin, but the instruction sheet that was in the box with that moisture kit. He claimed he was following it, but I'm pretty sure it said to take the evaoprator cover off, not muscle it out of the opening it sits in.

You are unable to download files. I tried to post pics of instructions but the file was too big. 

Edited by Lighthouse
remove picture

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Hopefully this works.

I appreciate that. It's a little hard to read, as I can't enlarge it. Could you email it to janderson1201@yahoo.com ? I'd sure appreciate it! :)

And yes, it says right in plain english that you take the evaporator cover off before you remove the duct cover. He muscled it up out of there, and that's why it's cracked! Thoses are very simple instructions, and when looking at the fridge that day, right after he left, I could tell that's how you do it, without the instructions!

And now I read the part about the airflow strips. It says there should be blowing upward. I was standing there.....they were moving, and you could feel air, but they were not blowing upward. Does anyone know if they are literally supposed to be blowing upwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I read all the replies from both of you, I totally agree with Jonh.

Dear customer; as long as the fridge cools as it should in both compartments,Ice maker still makes ice and and no other problem has arisen.

I had a similar problem on my French door Frigidaire Gallery but my problem was a little by worst by far because the ice maker would stopped making the ice. I had 7 times a tech came to my house one from a local shop and the other from Sears and neither fixed it.

Thank goodness I had purchased a home warranty that finally after a threat to call the BBB they opted to reimburse me for a new fridge.

I know what you are going through, lot of times it's said to say but lot of techs don't have an idea on these new high end,computer control board appliances.This is what made me get tried in the appliance repair business I enrolled into a on line course from Master samurai Appliance Repair here I came across very crucial info that pretains to my specific fridge ice maker where I will be doing the job my self since I already know that it needs a new air handler kit.

To make a long story short,since your fridge is working properly in all aspects I would move forward but it would be wise to buy an extended warranty on it.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for your input. It is still acting the same, which appears to be the new "normal", as John said. So far, anyway.

I did get the extended warranty, and I'm not an extended warranty type person. We're gun shy with fridges now, to say the least.

The guy that came out probably doesn't know enough about the newer style fridges, especially given the fact that he had me empty my fridge, then checked for an update, and did nothing else, and had me put everything back, only to come back another day, after installing the update, and had me empty it again, so he could install a moisture kit, but not without cracking the evaporator cover, which was supposed to come off to install the moisture kit, but he chose to ignore the simple instructions that said to remove the cover.

He's not allowed at my house again.

High End is mostly a fallacy... The last of the true quality died when Gordon Jump lost his job as the bored Maytag man... Sub Zero still makes a nice unit and sticks by their warranty, but that being said, I can't afford a Sub Zero since my four-movie Hollywood acting contract fell through!

• 3 weeks later...

@john 63

Ever since the "tech" was here that broke the evaporator cover, I've had several instances where I've opened the fridge, and smelled that "warm refrigerator" smell, as if it wasn't cold anymore, but it's essentially cold inside, except there is very warm air coming up out of the vents that supply the cold air to the refrigerator section.....to the point where the area around that vent is pretty much dripping down the back of the fridge. If I hold my hand right over the vent, it's very warm air. Now....I'm assuming that is from a defrost cycle, and obviously the warm air has to rise, and come out of that vent, but that seems excessive, and I don't remember it ever doing that, prior to the "tech" improperly replacing that duct tower with the new moisture kit. Can't help wonder if he damaged the temperature sensor in the process. The reason I say that is, when it gets this warm air, the temperature reading never changes on the door....not even a degree. If I have the door open a few minutes,m the temperature never changes. Even the day he put the moisture kit in, it seemed like it took waaaay too long to get down to the set temperature. He wasn't on there all that long, and it wasn't a warm day that day.

My main concern is this warm air I am describing, inside the refrigerator section, and the amount of condensation caused by it. It might be worth noting that it seems the frozen, pebbly looking condensation that I posted pictures of at the beginning of this thread, seems to appear after this warm air is present, which I'm assuming is from a defrost cycle, and some of that warm air is getting in the freezer too, and causing condensation, that obviously freezes. I just don't know anymore. Maybe the defrost cycle is too long???

Thoughts??

After posting that last post, I went and checked, and like the other times, it is now putting cold air into the refrigerator section again, like the other times I've noticed what I described, and subsequently "freezing" the condensation that is all around the vent, and that frost will eventually disappear from evaporation, and it will seem "normal" again.

I just can't recall ever seeing that amount of condensation around that vent, on any fridge, or smelling that warm air smell, unless the fridge had died. But we're also extremely gun shy, and very attentive, being that this is the third fridge in a little over a year. Maybe what I'm seeing is also the new "normal."

What is the "right" way to verify the fridge temp....not being a tech with all the cool tools....in a glass of water??

I have always used a meat thermometer and placed it in a food product like jam or mustard to get a solid reading of what the actual food temps are... the new digital thermometers of this type are pretty accurate.https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Thermometer-Digital-Anti-Corrosion-Best/dp/B0198473E4/ref=pd_lpo_79_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZJNCXMBY6ZH52D2D72NP

All refrigerators and air-conditioners are, essentially, dehumidifiers - and they will alternate between cooling the evaporator and gathering moisture in the form of frost on the coil, followed by having to defrost and dispose of the water they collected... 

Having a situation and annoying series of events (like this has been for you) will naturally, make a person hyper-sensitive to all details, noises, and potential indicators that more annoying things are about to happen, I believe it is one of the MAJOR inspirations behind warranties for every consumer.

@john63

What do you think of the behavior I described a couple posts back? It seems like just about every morning now, I get that warm air smell, and I can feel the warm air near the top of the fridge, and see what seems like a lot of condensation on the top of the fridge and around the vent. I know that warm air has to come in from a defrost, but prior to the "tech" that installed the moisture kit, I don't recall ever opening the door and smelling the warm air like that. The compressor kicks on before long, and cools it back down, but still. Or is this part of the new "normal" we talked about, like with my freezer? If this warm air is from a defrost cycle, my understanding is that it does it by door openings, and not on a regular schedule, but I could be wrong.

the water dripping off of the evaporator onto the hot element will create some steam... and then the "dwell" period between the defrost and cooling cycle is designed to let the evaporator drip completely ( which is why it is referred to as "drip dwell" sometimes). The vents lead to the evaporator/fan area, so defrost related moisture would be near vents NOT by the doors... moisture and frost by the doors would indicate air intake of some degree.