Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
soulweeper

GE GNE29GGKWW Refigerator:Question about freezer frost in brand new fridge.

121 posts in this topic

I would get the Frigidaire.

Usually the "garage kit" is an add-on item.

I'm on the east coast....Lowes usually stocks this kit.

It can also be purchased from an online appliance parts retailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

33 minutes ago, john63 said:

I would get the Frigidaire.

Usually the "garage kit" is an add-on item.

I'm on the east coast....Lowes usually stocks this kit.

It can also be purchased from an online appliance parts retailer.

Yep, it's an add on, and fits only certain models. From what I saw, it's a pretty easy install. Obviously you agree with the whole garage thing being hard on a fridge, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yes indeed...see it many times during coldest winter days.

Freezer thawed.

An 18 cubic ft Frigidaire has a price tag that is tolerable...if it goes bellyup after 5 years:)

Edited by john63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john63 said:

Yes indeed...see it many times during coldest winter days.

Freezer thawed.

What kind of outside temps are we talking about, when this occurs?

Also.....is the cold the biggest issue? I know heat obviously is, but it will simply run more, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes...hot days...unit runs longer to maintain temps.

I never tracked the temperature at which calls came in...requesting service for a refrigerator in the garage...but the temperatures were typically near 10F...give or take a few degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, john63 said:

Yes...hot days...unit runs longer to maintain temps.

I never tracked the temperature at which calls came in...requesting service for a refrigerator in the garage...but the temperatures were typically near 10F...give or take a few degrees.

Gotcha. Yeah, just a rough idea, and thank you. Since you're east coast, I figured you're probably generally cooler. I've seen around 20, a few times, but it is definitely not the norm, and it sure isn't that cold in my garage. I'm guessing it doesn't get below 40 in my garage. I want to keep it under $600, energy star, and be happy in a garage.

Is the energy start thing pretty much a no brainer, in that it will always pay for the difference in cost of the fridge? It seems like it's almost a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this model (non-digital) will be rated in even Tier 1.

It's a basic mechanical controls refrigerator...which is why it is possible to install a "garage kit". Basically...a mullion heater imbedded in aluminum tape.

For "severe" or non-climate controlled environment...high-Tiered models will likely fail sooner rather than later. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Kenmore "claims" is designed to function in environments as chilly as 39 degrees.

http://www.searshometownstores.com/product/20514

Would you call BS on that? I wonder if I'd get an honest answer out of Sears customer service?

 

So....cheaper, or lower tiered is better, in this particular situation, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it (39F).

Yes...in this particular situation...an energy *consuming* model works best.

I checked the label for the 18 cu ft Frigidaire...estimated to use 404kwh per year (in a climate controlled environment).

Yours would obviously be higher...due to summer extended running times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john63 said:

I believe it (39F).

Yes...in this particular situation...an energy *consuming* model works best.

I checked the label for the 18 cu ft Frigidaire...estimated to use 404kwh per year (in a climate controlled environment).

Yours would obviously be higher...due to summer extended running times.

To keep it simple.....since it would work better in my garage situation, I'm thinking that the extra cost of running that, would be negligible, yes? It sounds like that Kenmore I linked to, would be ok, with no garage kit, if they're being truthful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience has been that...if I plan something such as you have been...and correctly look at average winter temperatures for the past 10 years...and then decide that it should okay to buy a refrigerator that functions down to 39F...the very next winter will average 34F.

It's Murphy Law...or some damed thing:)

But again...that's just been my own experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john63 said:

My experience has been that...if I plan something such as you have been...and correctly look at average winter temperatures for the past 10 years...and then decide that it should okay to buy a refrigerator that functions down to 39F...the very next winter will average 34F.

It's Murphy Law...or some damed thing:)

But again...that's just been my own experience.

lol.....I seem to have that kind of luck as well! I'm intrigued by this one, because of the 39 degree claim, and it's energy star, and decent size and price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If your *gut* tells you that...the probability of a cold winter (in which the garage itself will not drop below 39F)...won't occur...then go with the Kenmore.

Edited by john63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, john63 said:

If your *gut* tells you that...the probability of a cold winter (in which the garage itself will not drop below 39F)...won't occur...then go with the Kenmore.

I'm leaning that way. Looking at it, it looks like the Frigidaire I was looking at, and then I found this

http://imgur.com/a/Hp5z6

It might actually be a Frigidaire. Even the Frigidaire that claims to be "garage ready", needs the garage kit. That might be the case with this one. I'll have to try and get confirmation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I checked the parts "blow-up" on the Kenmore model.

It uses a digital control...not sure how they designed it to allow 39F duty.

The Frigidaire models have mechanical controls (cold control/defrost timer etc).

Yes...they're both Frigidaire-built.

 

Edited by john63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, john63 said:

I checked the parts "blow-up" on the Kenmore model.

It uses a digital control...not sure how they designed it to allow 39F duty.

The Frigidaire models have mechanical controls (cold control/defrost timer etc).

 

Ah.....so maybe it is just BS?? Thank you checking that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not necessarily...it may be designed as advertised...to function down to 39F.

I'm not familiar with *how* Frigidaire accomplished that with this Kenmore model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they give you any interesting comparison information...let me know:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, john63 said:

If they give you any interesting comparison information...let me know:)

I will. I suspect it's just an error in the description, as those two are the same fridge, with the same electronic controls. That heater kit only works with manual controls, like you said.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-garage-refrigerator-heater-5303918301-ap3722172.html#crossref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, soulweeper said:

I will. I suspect it's just an error in the description, as those two are the same fridge, with the same electronic controls. That heater kit only works with manual controls, like you said.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-garage-refrigerator-heater-5303918301-ap3722172.html#crossref

Got nowhere with that, but they delivered out new Kenmore Elite(LG) today. Just over 12 hours in, and it seems the fridge section isn't getting as cold as it should. The freezer is all frosty, which isn't necessarily abnormal, but it hasn't cleared up yet, and I have felt or heard a fan blowing cold air up into the fridge. I have a glass of water with a cooking thermometer in it, and right how it's just under 50 degrees in there. The girl at the store said it takes about 18 hours, which I think is BS, and the manual says you can start putting food in there in 2 or 3 hours. I haven't put food in there. Don't trust it, and already regret my decision. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see what it's doing in the morning, but I'm definitely not "fixing" a fridge that isn't even a day old. Not a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now