Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE GNE29GGKWW Refigerator:Question about freezer frost in brand new fridge.

soulweeper

I would get the Frigidaire.

Usually the "garage kit" is an add-on item.

I'm on the east coast....Lowes usually stocks this kit.

It can also be purchased from an online appliance parts retailer.

33 minutes ago, john63 said:

I would get the Frigidaire.

Usually the "garage kit" is an add-on item.

I'm on the east coast....Lowes usually stocks this kit.

It can also be purchased from an online appliance parts retailer.

Yep, it's an add on, and fits only certain models. From what I saw, it's a pretty easy install. Obviously you agree with the whole garage thing being hard on a fridge, yes?

Yes indeed...see it many times during coldest winter days.

Freezer thawed.

An 18 cubic ft Frigidaire has a price tag that is tolerable...if it goes bellyup after 5 years:)

Edited by john63

1 minute ago, john63 said:

Yes indeed...see it many times during coldest winter days.

Freezer thawed.

What kind of outside temps are we talking about, when this occurs?

Also.....is the cold the biggest issue? I know heat obviously is, but it will simply run more, correct?

Yes...hot days...unit runs longer to maintain temps.

I never tracked the temperature at which calls came in...requesting service for a refrigerator in the garage...but the temperatures were typically near 10F...give or take a few degrees.

Just now, john63 said:

Yes...hot days...unit runs longer to maintain temps.

I never tracked the temperature at which calls came in...requesting service for a refrigerator in the garage...but the temperatures were typically near 10F...give or take a few degrees.

Gotcha. Yeah, just a rough idea, and thank you. Since you're east coast, I figured you're probably generally cooler. I've seen around 20, a few times, but it is definitely not the norm, and it sure isn't that cold in my garage. I'm guessing it doesn't get below 40 in my garage. I want to keep it under $600, energy star, and be happy in a garage.

Is the energy start thing pretty much a no brainer, in that it will always pay for the difference in cost of the fridge? It seems like it's almost a must.

I don't think this model (non-digital) will be rated in even Tier 1.

It's a basic mechanical controls refrigerator...which is why it is possible to install a "garage kit". Basically...a mullion heater imbedded in aluminum tape.

For "severe" or non-climate controlled environment...high-Tiered models will likely fail sooner rather than later. 

I believe it (39F).

Yes...in this particular situation...an energy *consuming* model works best.

I checked the label for the 18 cu ft Frigidaire...estimated to use 404kwh per year (in a climate controlled environment).

Yours would obviously be higher...due to summer extended running times.

I believe it (39F).

Yes...in this particular situation...an energy *consuming* model works best.

I checked the label for the 18 cu ft Frigidaire...estimated to use 404kwh per year (in a climate controlled environment).

Yours would obviously be higher...due to summer extended running times.

To keep it simple.....since it would work better in my garage situation, I'm thinking that the extra cost of running that, would be negligible, yes? It sounds like that Kenmore I linked to, would be ok, with no garage kit, if they're being truthful.

My experience has been that...if I plan something such as you have been...and correctly look at average winter temperatures for the past 10 years...and then decide that it should okay to buy a refrigerator that functions down to 39F...the very next winter will average 34F.

It's Murphy Law...or some damed thing:)

But again...that's just been my own experience.

My experience has been that...if I plan something such as you have been...and correctly look at average winter temperatures for the past 10 years...and then decide that it should okay to buy a refrigerator that functions down to 39F...the very next winter will average 34F.

It's Murphy Law...or some damed thing:)

But again...that's just been my own experience.

lol.....I seem to have that kind of luck as well! I'm intrigued by this one, because of the 39 degree claim, and it's energy star, and decent size and price.

If your *gut* tells you that...the probability of a cold winter (in which the garage itself will not drop below 39F)...won't occur...then go with the Kenmore.

Edited by john63

3 minutes ago, john63 said:

If your *gut* tells you that...the probability of a cold winter (in which the garage itself will not drop below 39F)...won't occur...then go with the Kenmore.

I'm leaning that way. Looking at it, it looks like the Frigidaire I was looking at, and then I found this

http://imgur.com/a/Hp5z6

It might actually be a Frigidaire. Even the Frigidaire that claims to be "garage ready", needs the garage kit. That might be the case with this one. I'll have to try and get confirmation.

I checked the parts "blow-up" on the Kenmore model.

It uses a digital control...not sure how they designed it to allow 39F duty.

The Frigidaire models have mechanical controls (cold control/defrost timer etc).

Yes...they're both Frigidaire-built.

Edited by john63

Just now, john63 said:

I checked the parts "blow-up" on the Kenmore model.

It uses a digital control...not sure how they designed it to allow 39F duty.

The Frigidaire models have mechanical controls (cold control/defrost timer etc).

Ah.....so maybe it is just BS?? Thank you checking that.

Not necessarily...it may be designed as advertised...to function down to 39F.

I'm not familiar with *how* Frigidaire accomplished that with this Kenmore model.

9 minutes ago, john63 said:

If they give you any interesting comparison information...let me know:)

I will. I suspect it's just an error in the description, as those two are the same fridge, with the same electronic controls. That heater kit only works with manual controls, like you said.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-garage-refrigerator-heater-5303918301-ap3722172.html#crossref

• 2 weeks later...
soulweeper
On 4/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, soulweeper said:

I will. I suspect it's just an error in the description, as those two are the same fridge, with the same electronic controls. That heater kit only works with manual controls, like you said.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-garage-refrigerator-heater-5303918301-ap3722172.html#crossref

Got nowhere with that, but they delivered out new Kenmore Elite(LG) today. Just over 12 hours in, and it seems the fridge section isn't getting as cold as it should. The freezer is all frosty, which isn't necessarily abnormal, but it hasn't cleared up yet, and I have felt or heard a fan blowing cold air up into the fridge. I have a glass of water with a cooking thermometer in it, and right how it's just under 50 degrees in there. The girl at the store said it takes about 18 hours, which I think is BS, and the manual says you can start putting food in there in 2 or 3 hours. I haven't put food in there. Don't trust it, and already regret my decision. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see what it's doing in the morning, but I'm definitely not "fixing" a fridge that isn't even a day old. Not a chance.

• 4 years later...

OMG ! Never read such a long  not needed cry baby story about FROST.. Customer has TOOOOO much time on his hands..Thinks he knows everything, and questions everything. I would tell him , to take a hike ,& he should design his own RF / FZ appliance. The industry needs an exemption from the DOE & tree hugger , water & electrical mandates imposed by  Uncle Sam. Make available the old school Direct Drive Washers ,yet they can still offer the VMW, such as the WTW4815... units.. Give us choice !! Let us have the option to purchase a long lasting durable appliance. Also, how about a MARINE quality water seal for ALL of those front loaders on the market. Heck, the old cheap D & M noisy dishwashers had water on the seat / seal face constantly, & yet they could go 20 years with out leaking.  The Auto industry learned their lesson, about QUALITY. They did raise their prices,to stay in biz. The Appliance industry is 90% Tonka Toy now.You know the rest....