LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Samsung Refrigerator RF4287HARS ice bucket stuck

mokanman

I've had this refrigerator since 2011 and it has been a pretty good investment up to now.  The ice maker bucket has opened flawlessly all these years when I've needed access.  Recently the ice maker started dispensing crushed ice only, even when cubed ice was selected.  In my attempt to diagnose the problem I found that the ice maker bucket would no longer open even though the lever used to unlock seemed to operate properly.  I've tried pulling as hard as I can (tempering that with the knowledge that if I try to pull harder something will probably break) as well as banging in what I would call "strategic" locations in an attempt to dislodge any ice that may have formed inside the bucket but no luck.  This bucket is completely enclosed so you can not see inside and therefore can not make an informed diagnosis.  I noticed that I can see the actual locking "tooth(?)" moving up and down when I push the lever so I feel it is safe to say that the bucket is not inserted all the way (believe me when I say that I have tried to force the bucket to go in to properly seat).  When I looked at Samsung's website for assistance they actually do show this same problem with the helpful suggestion of scheduling a service call.  Any helpful suggestions other than a service call would be appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mokanman

• Lighthouse

• johntech

• Samsung Hell

I needed to add to this posting and I did not see a way to edit it so here is additional information.  The main reason I need to open the bucket is that the ice maker stopped dispensing ice entirely.  I know there is still ice in the bucket as I can poke a wooden spoon handle up in through the chute and move the cubes around enough to knock some out.  Because the bucket is not pushed in all the way I'm certain that the connection is not being made in the back where the plastic rotating piece in the refrigerator is supposed to mate with the metal "tongs" (don't know the exact terminology) that drive the metal spiral in the bucket to move the ice forward.  It seems like it is just out of range of making the complete connection as it sounds like the metal "tongs" are bouncing off the spinning plastic part (which is probably gouging that plastic).  Anyway, I would like to get some automated ice flowing again as I've been using old fashioned ice cube trays (fun) for almost a week now.  Thanks for any assistance.

Your ice bucket is frozen in and needs to be thawed out in order to remove the bucket. This could be from the water valve leaking or air entering the ice room. Turn the water off to the refrigerator before trying to thaw it out. You can use a blow dryer to blow warm air into the bucket to help thaw it out.

Thank you for the reply Lighthouse.  That is what I was afraid the answer would be.  The only location I see where I can blow warm air into the bucket is through the ice chute as there is a completely sealed moulded plastic wall surrounding the ice room (like a mini freezer in the refrigerator compartment).  As the ice room is contained entirely behind those sealed walls and those walls are located in the refrigerator compartment it seems I would have to turn off the refrigerator, move all the food to alternate cold storage and then use a blow dryer aiming into the chute and being careful not to electrocute myself as the ice melts in the bucket and resulting water flows out of the chute.  Question: As this refrigerator/freezer is labelled Twin Cooling does that mean I can leave the freezer cooling system operating?  I'm making a quick assumption that the refrigerator cooling system is also used to freeze the ice room since the ice room is up in the refrigerator compartment.  If my thinking is correct and there are actually separate cooling systems for the refrigerator and freezer do you happen to know which one cools the meat drawer that is in between the refrigerator and freezer?  As to the initial cause of the freezing I'm hoping it is air entering the ice room which seems likely since the bucket is not pushed in all the way which probably leaves an air gap as the root cause.  This whole procedure will take time to prepare for as I will want to try to use most of the food from the refrigerator so that the two coolers I have can temporarily hold what is left.  What fun!

The cold air for the ice room comes from the freezer. If the water valve is leaking then you probably also have ice in the duct work going to the freezer. You can disconnect the water line that goes from the valve to the ice maker and see if water is leaking out of the valve. Most likely this is your problem.

Lighthouse, while I appreciate the quick reply I would have rather had you told me that I lost the lottery instead of the probability of having ice in the duct work going to the freezer :lol:.  Sounds like I'll need to thaw out the whole refrigerator/freezer... I guess that will give me the opportunity for thoroughly cleaning the interior... sigh.  Anyway, I guess I'll check for a leak at the water valve before I do anything else because if there is no leak then hopefully (though doubtfully) the problem may be as simple as air leakage into the ice room caused by the lack of a complete seal due to the ice bucket not being pushed all the way in.  Checking the water valve will also give me the opportunity to clean behind and under the refrigerator.  All these great opportunities... life is grand!!!  Anyway, I'll report back here after checking for a leak from the water valve to the ice maker.  By the way, do both the ice maker and water dispenser share the water filter or is one of them unfiltered?  I haven't had a chance to look at the valve so don't know if there are two separate outputs from the valve at the bottom back of the fridge like there was on my old Maytag.

• 5 years later...