LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Interlock switch for microwave 721.85063010

motormountman

motormountman

Kenmore Microwave 721.85063010 Serial 206TA02185  Manufacture date 2012

I think I know what I have to do... I have to change the interlock switch(es) on my microwave door.

I've accessed them by popping the control panel  (haven't tested yet) and I think I can get them out (all three in one go by removing the white plastic carrier to which all 3 are attached?)

Here's my questions:

1.  Can i remove the switches without risking a jolt from the capacitor (they aren't physically close but connections in there go to lots of places!)   The microwave will have been off for a few days before I attempt repair but just in case... 

2.  Should I replace all three switches and are they the same switch?  [I've checked repair clinic which shows one switch... but another site shows two different ones]

Thanks for your help!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• motormountman

• abaesemann

• johntech

motormountman

Thanks I will get cracking on checking continuity and see if I can replace just the two identical switches and not the third one.

motormountman

Thanks again Johntech -- one switch was actually "stuck".  I checked its continuity and it's fine and the switch "unstuck" as soon as I pressed the tiny button a few times.

I popped it out from its home and planned to replace it anyway but got stuck on getting the wires off .... Any suggestions on how to get the connector off (it's two wires but it's a single molded connector and I can get the lower part of the connector to slip off.... I didn't want to break anything so I popped it back in (w the switch working OK).... I figured I'd ask for a trick from you all to get that connector off.  It's the upper door switch so I might get away w just replacing that one -- it has two black wires which go back to another component not a board.  I thought about removing the control panel but it's got a whole slew of connectors so I just have it resting on something as I can get to the switches without removing it.

Once I had it all back together the microwave worked and then showed same symptoms and then worked again...  so it's def that switch.

I got the door switches but not the third one (the one w the green button).

Long story short, I need a TRICK to get the connector off -- I used a small flat blade screwdriver on the upper connector and it looks like that will slip but the lower one can't be prised off in that way.  Can I use some needlenosed pliers? 

Does that all make sense?   I am sure you've done a bunch of these and that there must be a knack to it... I can get the switch holder for all three switches out but it doesn't give me any more purchase on it and the panel gets in the way....

Thanks for your help!

I can add a picture (didn't take one yet but could) if it'd help.

does it have a push tab lock on it, a lot of the microwave wires have them and it is very hard to push through when there is a plastic cover over the terminal

motormountman
29 minutes ago, abaesemann said:

does it have a push tab lock on it, a lot of the microwave wires have them and it is very hard to push through when there is a plastic cover over the terminal

No visible push tab lock -- it looks like a straight bayonet but very tough to move .