Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Can I lubricate fridge condenser motor fan?

BB430

Our old fridge is cooling (not great, but okay) but has been making a new intermittent loud hum/whine for a few weeks. I took off back bottom panel and found a mouse nest (!!!), lots of fluff and debris. I cleaned it all out, but the fan is still not turning at all. I can push on the fan and make it grudgingly move, but it's more or less stuck. The motor gets hot when the fridge is running, so I'm guessing electricity is still getting to it? There's what looks like some rust on the motor, so I'm wondering if it's just gunked up. Is it possible/recommended to lubricate it somehow? I appreciate any suggestions or tips!

cnPnWjl.jpg

Hyq1JAj.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BB430

• Hiroshi

• rbmappltech

• 16345Ed

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, rbmappltech said:

just replace the motor

Exactly. Your motor is dying or dead. 

It IS possible to oil it, the lighter gray metal housings at the front and back of the motor have sleeve bearings in them-  but I agree with rbmappltech  and Ed, the reason this thing is so corroded is the mice have been urinating all over it...  !  :pain30:

Oh my word, now I HAVE to replace the motor because I'll never get that image out of my mind. :P

So, in replacing this kind of motor, is there any internal shock danger to be aware of, like with some appliances?

Not particularly, I would just unplug the fridge, mount the fan motor, then attach the wires to the terminals... Plug the machine back in and you should be good to go. You can usually get an hour of worktime in before you have to worry about your ice melting, so don't be in a hurry. 

Secondarily, I would address the mouse issue as well, or they will be in there trying to drink the defrost water and wreck more things in the future- mothballs, dryer softener sheets, and numerous other things make suitable mouse repellent... If it is out in the garage- go for the mothballs they are effective and long-lasting, but far to aromatic for use in the kitchen!

Great, thank you!

We think the mouse nest must be quite old -- we use this fridge indoors, but it was a garage fridge for the neighbors before they bequeathed it to us about a year ago. If I thought there were mice running around inside my house, I think I'd have to move. :blink: